PDA

View Full Version : short Guide to maximize your Steed as Sorcadin and be badass Knight on high levels

Mitsu
2019-03-03, 08:52 PM
I. What this is about:

6/14 Sorcadins have option of having Steed but not Greater Steed. Find Steed animals have very low HP and are often viewed as "useless" on 7+ level adventures. It's not true, but you need to look at your "features" as Sorcadin and use those and become a Knight you always wanted to be!

One of my friends during our adventures was perfectly fine using his Warhorse effectively on levels 15+ with couple of tricks.

Works best with Sword and Shield Sorcadins as you want to equip Lance + Shield on your steed for that nice 1d12 + Reach attacks and feel like true knight :). You are mostly better with Longsword because melee Cantrips- but don't tell me you never wanted to have excuse to finally use that Lance instead sometimes? :D

This short Guide is aimed for new Sorcadins who wonder "How the hell I can use that squishy Steed effectively? Can I be a knight?". So...

You need two things: first of all- you need to be Divine Soul Sorcerer and Second, you need Extended meta-magic. I also strongly recommend to be Vengeance Paladin for it but Ancients are also great, though those need 7/13 split instead of 6/14.

II. How does it work:

First of all- buy your Steed (let's assume Warhorse just for the sake of thread as it depends on your DM) a plate barring. Him having 18 AC will be great. If you swim in gold (which happens a lot in DnD) - even magic one. Anyway 18 AC is what you need, period. Exploit every way to increase it's AC.

You should take Mounted Combatant at some point if you can- later about that. It's NOT super necessary but it super strong. Alternatively you can take Inspiring Leader first to combine additional THP from it with your Extended Aid to buff your party and Steed HP even more for your adventuring day.

Second, have prepared Aid (Paladin) and take Sanctuary (DS), Spirit Guardians (DS), Haste and Death Ward (DS). Now what you do is before every long rest you use Extended Aid and Death Ward on everyone (including your Steed) to give them (let's assume level 16 so 6/10 Sorcadin) from level 7 slot max 35 bonus HP to 3 members. For those 3 chose yourself, a melee squishy member and your Steed. Now your steed has 19 + 35 = 54 HP which is respectable. Nothing super great but not bad. Now cast Death Ward on everyone. Now your Steed also won't be droped to 0 HP and is immune to death spells. Also nice. Both Aid and Death Ward lasts 8 hours, extended make is 16 hours. Depends on your DM pacing (if casting healing spells and buffs can be light activities or not) you and your steed (and other party members) will have extra 30-35 HP and Death Ward for next 8-10 hours.

Side Note: you can also cast extended Darkvision spell (though it's very medicore spell to waste spell space on, but just saying).

Thanks to @Rara1212 there is one more thing to mention- Aid is a spell that increases Maximum Hit Points for the duration. It’s not Temporary Hit Points. Which is huge.

Reason no 1: you can heal them back with Quicken Heal for example, healing your HP and bringing your Steed back to full HP too.

Reason no. 2: you can combine Aid with Temporary HP spells and feats like: Inspiring leader or Armor of Agathys. Giving your Steed another HP boost (and yourself). At level 16 Inspiring Leader will add another +21 THP to your 54 HP Steed, for total of 75 HP and Armor of Agathys from level 7 or 6 slot can give 30-35 THP for 1 hour + retaliation damage to enemies.

III. Your Badass Steed on level 16

So you have your Warhorse Steed on level 16, 54 HP (or 75 with Inspiring Leader), can't be dropped to 0 HP instantly, 18 AC and immune to Death Spells and +5 to all saves from your Aura. Also thanks to another trick - enemies must make WIS save throw to be even able to directly attack your mount. Later about it. And it shares with you all buffs/defensive spells. Not bad. I say it's pretty good! Sounds like badass Mount! It only gets better if your DM allows better beasts to be summoned (like Dire Wolf would be perfect!). It also get's better with levels as on level 20 - Aid from 9th slot will be + 45 HP which will give us 64 HP HP on Steed.

IV. To the Battle!:

Now if you go into battle, it's great to have Mounted Combatant feat which allow you to redirect every attack that targets your mount to target you instead. Won't work vs fireball explosion or other AOE but against any sort of Disintegration, range attacks, melee attacks etc. you can just eat it all instead of your mount. So the only thing that will threat your mount now are AOE effects. It's pretty neat.

If you don't have yet this feat or don't plan to take it- simple cast Sanctuary on your mount. This also won't help vs AOE but will require every enemy to make WIS save throw vs your 20 CHA DC to be able to attack your mount. Works great on levels before you have space to take mounted combatant (mostly level 14 or 18). Best is: Sanctuary is non-concentration spell, enemy loses attack or spell if he won't target diffeerent target and mount won't break sanctuary as long as you use it as just mount (which you will do).

You can also grab Inspiring Leader feat and rely on Sanctuary instead of Mounted Combatant. Or grab both if you have room and need. This way you can (at level 16) add another +21 HP to your Steed for total 75 HP, making it even better.

And one last thing, even when enemy manages to make WIS save, and they pass your Steed AC, you can always cast Shield or Absorb Elements and make it miss or reduce Steed Damage by half if it was elemental spell/attack. Since your Steed shares all spells you cast on yourself- when you are cought in for example fireball and you cast Absorb Elements- he will also take half damage. Pretty good.

V. Combat Spells for you and your Steed:

Now Haste will get shared with your mount so if you go let's say against a Boss on your Steed, just cast Haste to make your Steed 20 AC, double speed, extra action for disengage + give yourself additional attack with lance. With hit and run tactic you should be able to protect yourself and steed for most of the battle as most monsters in MM don't have very long range attacks (With Haste your Steed has 180 ft per turn, which is in 9/10 enough to engage, attack, disengage and run away from target). Even an Acient Dragon Breath won't insta kill it because Death Ward.

Even when Steed drops to 0, you can do Aid/Heal/Lay Down Hands + Quicken Death Ward combo and get your Steed Back up to fight and have him being immune to Death again!

If you want to Quicken Cantrips (usually vs Boss)- switch to Longsword as Lance is 10ft reach and Cantrips need 5ft and Lance has disadvantage on 5ft attacks.

Also Haste allow you for 60ft movement, 60ft dash and Dodge. So you can move vs most enemies with 5ft reach- 60ft in, 60ft out and use haste bonus action for Dodge for additional AC for your Steed (vs range attacks for example). And you can combine Dodge with Shield if needed for riddiculous AC even vs enemies with +10 to hit if you know big hit is coming.

Another good option is to cast Spirit Guardians and charge into group of enemies. Best is: even if enemies are mounted too and try to catch you- Spirit Guardians will half their speed when they get 15 ft from you- they will take damage and not catch you (including flying enemies). Works best vs hordes or when charging their backline.

And you can have both Haste or Spirit Guardians paired with Sanctuary.

VI. It's pretty much free for every Divine Sorcadin:

Apart from Mounted Combatant- this doesn't really required any special takes. Extended Aid and Death Ward is quite standard "every day" super strong mechanic to give your allies a day-long free buffs, haste is taken almost always and Sanctuary is optional but very strong spell to save your allies. Spirit Guardians is a must for every Divine Soul. Inspiring Leader is optional but it's one of most popular feat on Paladins so I always recommend it.

Anyway, doing this you are able to ride with your steed into battle even on higher levels no problem. It's not as good as Pegasus would be of course but it's still dam strong additional speed, mobility and allow you to equip Lance to feel like true Knight :)!

VII. Tips and Tweaks:

I mentioned that it's good to be Vengeance Paladin. Why? Free Misty Step that is shared with your Steed. That is additional 30ft movement + escape from for example Force Cage. So Hasted- 180 ft + optional 30. It can really make a difference. You can teleport through melee formation and attack backline.

Ancients Paladin- resistance to one thing that Steed will have problems with - AOE spells is huge for your animal-friend.

Honorable Mention: Conquest Paladin – works better with more Paladin levels because Aura of Courage helps to use your Fear spell while on mount. But main thing for me here is Armor of Agathys- giving both your and your Steed a big THP boost and cold retaliation damage (and quite big one too).

Best Steeds: It would be best to talk with your DM to allow you to summon Dire Wolf. It's only CR 1 but it has 37 HP. With 7th slot Aid it would be 72 HP, which is darn good. Tiger is as good as Dire Wolf. The other one would be Giant Eagle. 80ft flying speed is 240 ft per turn Hasted.

If your DM won't allow CR 1, you can try ask for Giant Owl (1/4 CR but same HP as Warhorse and 60ft flying speed instead of walking).

It's best be SnB Sorcadin as this allow you to use Lance + Shield + Dueling probably (or Defense) so you won't "waste" other fighting styles and give you 10ft reach, 1d12 damage and shield. But you are still better with Longsword when it comes to damage since you can use bonus action to quicken cantrips if you want while riding your steed.

Remember- your Steed is expendable. Even if it dies- you lose nothing, you already got it's worth in combat. You will just resummon it later perfectly healthy. Just collect it's armor ;).

You can heal Aid bonus HP as long as duration is on- you can heal HPs that Aid added. This means that you can short rest/eat druid goodberries/Quicken Heal during Combat etc. it will last for 8-10 hours. Plenty of time.

Disclaimer: It's not some super optimized OP stuff to pull off that will suddenly take your Sorcadin to different dimension, but I always loved the image of knight on warhorse cutting through enemies and this is to help Sorcadins. You can use everything here for Pegasus and pure Paladins or Paladins 13/X too, but Hasted Pegasus is it's own broken thing :)

Crgaston
2019-03-04, 02:37 AM
Nice! Thank you!

LudicSavant
2019-03-04, 04:25 AM
Another thing you could add is Inspiring Leader, which adds another (up to 25) hp buffer for your minions as well as yourself and party.

Alucard89
2019-03-04, 06:19 AM
Another thing you could add is Inspiring Leader, which adds another (up to 25) hp buffer for your minions as well as yourself and party.

I might be wrong, but I think temporary HP don't stack and you have to chose which ones (from what source) you use. I don't have PHB next to me know so I can't be sure though.

LudicSavant
2019-03-04, 07:09 AM
I might be wrong, but I think temporary HP don't stack and you have to chose which ones (from what source) you use. I don't have PHB next to me know so I can't be sure though.

Correct. It's an alternative option for THP, not a stacking one.

Unlike Aid, it doesn't use spell slots (let alone high level ones, like 7th per the OP's suggestion) and isn't limited to 3 creatures.

And of course, nothing's stopping you from using one after the temp HP from the other runs out. A Paladin's steed is not easily taken out in one shot (due to techniques such as those listed here).

Another thing that folks might be interested to know about, though it's a bit more obscure: WotC's pregen characters includes a Half-Orc Paladin that got a Brown Bear from Find Steed. (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/171027/Pregen-Characters-HalfOrc-Paladin-5e)

Mitsu
2019-03-04, 08:32 AM
Correct. It's an alternative option to Aid, not a stacking one.

Unlike Aid, it doesn't use spell slots (let alone high level ones, like 7th per the OP's suggestion) and isn't limited to 3 creatures.

And of course, nothing's stopping you from using one after the temp HP from the other runs out. A Paladin's steed is not easily taken out in one shot (due to techniques such as those listed here).

Another thing that folks might be interested to know about, though it's a bit more obscure: WotC's pregen characters includes a Half-Orc Paladin that got a Brown Bear from Find Steed. (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/171027/Pregen-Characters-HalfOrc-Paladin-5e)

Just to clarify- you don't really "use" high level slot for Aid as the point is to use Extended Aid and Death Ward before long rest, so the duration is still active after long rest (since it's 16h duration extended) so you buff before long rest (even from 9th slot) and after long rest you have all resources back while buffs are still active for whole day.

But agree, Inspiring Leader is great feat overall and it might be good to use it during day once Extended Aid from previous day buffing was gone (due to damage or time out) to keep their HP up for free before next long rest where you will use Extended Aid again.

Another trick is to have Armor of Agathys. You can Quicken it from high slot for you and your Steed in the heat of the battle, giving you not only a new large THP pool but also a strong retaliation damage.

You can get AoA either from being Conquest Paladin, diping 1 level Hexblade or using MI (Warlock) feat if your DM allow you to use MI spell with your caster slots (which mine do I do the same as DM if a PC is already a caster or half-caster). It's another way to "heal" your steed and buff it again.

Rara1212
2019-03-04, 08:55 AM
Aid isn't THP if I remember correctly, it increases your max HP and current HP by the amount, for it's duration. So it works with THP and it can alos get people back from being unconscious since they now aren't at 0.

Mitsu
2019-03-04, 09:10 AM
Aid isn't THP if I remember correctly, it increases your max HP and current HP by the amount, for it's duration. So it works with THP and it can alos get people back from being unconscious since they now aren't at 0.

Dang, you are correct, I totally thought it was THP... I guess I started to confuse it too much with Armor of Agathys.

This changes a lot, I will update Guide soon. This allows to combine Aid and Inspiring leader or Armor of Agathys for a lot of additional HP.

It also allows Heal to restore Aid hit points as long as Aid lasts as it increasing Maximum Hp.

Thanks for pointing that out!

LudicSavant
2019-03-04, 09:30 AM

You're right! Good catch!

Mitsu
2019-03-04, 09:45 AM
Guide updated with Aid maximum HP increase explanation and combining it with Inspiring Leader.

Alucard89
2019-03-04, 12:14 PM

Nice, this makes Inspiring Leader a great choice for mounted Sorcadin.

Also, I never thought of using Sanctuary on mount. Now when it was mentioned I feel dumb as it's basicelly a double check to hit mount (pass WIS save + pass attack roll). If your mount additionaly uses bonus Hasted action for Dodge- enemy suddenly needs:

1. Pass WIS save vs 20 CHA for each attack/spell
2. Pass attack/spell attack roll vs AC 18-20.
3. Have disadvantage on attack rolls.

Mitsu
2019-03-07, 07:31 AM
Nice, this makes Inspiring Leader a great choice for mounted Sorcadin.

Also, I never thought of using Sanctuary on mount. Now when it was mentioned I feel dumb as it's basicelly a double check to hit mount (pass WIS save + pass attack roll). If your mount additionaly uses bonus Hasted action for Dodge- enemy suddenly needs:

1. Pass WIS save vs 20 CHA for each attack/spell
2. Pass attack/spell attack roll vs AC 18-20.
3. Have disadvantage on attack rolls.

Imo Sanctuary is one of most underrated spells in game. It's a very useful spell to have around.

It's a lot of hassle to make your mount a worthy war beast but I think it's because 5E lacks a leveling system for your mount.

So sadly we have to compensate a lot using spells.

Warped Wiseman
2019-03-07, 12:16 PM
6/14 Sorcadins have option of having Steed but not Greater Steed.

This is not true.

Per the Paladin spell casting rules: "You prepare the list of paladin spells that are available for you to cast, choosing from the paladin spell list... The spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots....You can change your list of prepared spells when you finish a long rest." Note that the requirement is just that you have the appropriate level spell slot, regardless of source.

Both a 6 Sorc/14 Pal and 14 Sorc/6 Pal will have 4th level spell slots (PHB 164-165), therefore, both can prepare and cast Find Greater Steed.

There are some good suggestions here for maximizing your steed in general, but the premise is not true.

Crgaston
2019-03-07, 12:35 PM
This is not true.

Per the Paladin spell casting rules: "You prepare the list of paladin spells that are available for you to cast, choosing from the paladin spell list... The spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots....You can change your list of prepared spells when you finish a long rest." Note that the requirement is just that you have the appropriate level spell slot, regardless of source.

Both a 6 Sorc/14 Pal and 14 Sorc/6 Pal will have 4th level spell slots (PHB 164-165), therefore, both can prepare and cast Find Greater Steed.

There are some good suggestions here for maximizing your steed in general, but the premise is not true.

Sadly, the Spellcasting section of the multiclassing rules prevents this.

Spells Known and Prepared. You determine what spells you know and can prepare for each class individually, as if you were a single-classed member of that class.

I thought the same thing when I was first looking at MC builds. Kind of a bummer, but it makes sense, because otherwise you could have a Wizard 2/ Druid 15 casting Wish

Warped Wiseman
2019-03-07, 12:45 PM
Sadly, the Spellcasting section of the multiclassing rules prevents this.

Spells Known and Prepared. You determine what spells you know and can prepare for each class individually, as if you were a single-classed member of that class.

I thought the same thing when I was first looking at MC builds. Kind of a bummer, but it makes sense, because otherwise you could have a Wizard 2/ Druid 15 casting Wish

I don't see how that prevents it. When I prepare my Paladin spells, the rules only check that I have the appropriate spell slots for them, which I would in this case. Same logic works with the wizard/druid example. When learning a Wizard spell, the rule only checks that I have the appropriate spell slots, not what level my wizard is.

Crgaston
2019-03-07, 12:59 PM
I don't see how that prevents it. When I prepare my Paladin spells, the rules only check that I have the appropriate spell slots for them, which I would in this case. Same logic works with the wizard/druid example. When learning a Wizard spell, the rule only checks that I have the appropriate spell slots, not what level my wizard is.

If you're a single-classed Paladin 6, you don't have 4th level slots.

I definitely see how you're reaching the conclusion you are, but to do so, you have to ignore the "as if you were single classed" half of the multiclassing rule. If your table is cool with it, go for it, but it's a less-common interpretation, unlikely to be universally accepted.

https://5thsrd.org/rules/multiclassing/

Mitsu
2019-03-07, 03:03 PM
This is not true.

You are totally mistaken, at least by RAW. Your multiclass define only spell slots as combined caster level. So 6/14 Sorcadin is a 17 level caster, but only when it comes to slots!

When it comes to SPELL KNOWN- he is still Paladin 6 and Sorcerer 14, meaning that he only knows Paladins spells up to level 2 and he only knows Sorcerer spell up to level 7.

So Sorcadin 6/14 knows Find Steed and Cone of Cold but he can't know Find Greater Steed (4th level Paladin spells, Paladin 6 knows only 2nd level spells) or Wish (9th level Sorcerer spell, Sorcerer 14 knows only 7th level spells).

I hope that clears it up.

Of course, at your table you can play as you want. But by RAW I am correct.

NaughtyTiger
2019-03-07, 03:36 PM
Warding Bond (divine soul sorc or vengence(?) paladin) - cast it on you and the steed. your steed takes half damage (you take the other half, but you have enough), +1 to AC and saves.
Then Cure wounds yourself while mounted and both you and the mount heal... (makes up a little for taking mount's damage)

Warped Wiseman
2019-03-07, 03:48 PM
If you're a single-classed Paladin 6, you don't have 4th level slots.

I definitely see how you're reaching the conclusion you are, but to do so, you have to ignore the "as if you were single classed" half of the multiclassing rule. If your table is cool with it, go for it, but it's a less-common interpretation, unlikely to be universally accepted.

Except I'm not ignoring that half? Single classed characters all determine their possible spells known/prepared by their available spell slots, not class level. Normally, their available spell slots are determined by their class level, but that is just a coincidence, at least as far as RAW is concerned. If there were some other source of high level spell slots, RAW right now would be that they would enable you to learn/prepare higher level spells too.

Reading the example they give, this seems like a RAW vs RAI issue.

But, as you said, to each their own table.

Mitsu
2019-03-07, 03:51 PM
Except I'm not ignoring that half? Single classed characters all determine their possible spells known/prepared by their available spell slots, not class level. Normally, their available spell slots are determined by their class level, but that is just a coincidence, at least as far as RAW is concerned. If there were some other source of high level spell slots, RAW right now would be that they would enable you to learn/prepare higher level spells too.

You are ignoring fact that you can't know spells of level higher than in your class. It's in RAW, clear as day. Paladin 6/Sorcerer 14 will only know Paladin spells up to level 2. Find Greater Steed is level 4th spell. You would have to be Level 13 Paladin to know that spell in first place. Paladin 6 CAN'T KNOW THIS SPELL.

NaughtyTiger
2019-03-07, 04:29 PM

for multiclassing

For example, if you are the aforementioned ranger 4/wizard 3, you count as a 5th-level character when determining your spell slots: you have four 1st-level slots, three 2nd-level slots, and two 3rd-level slots. However, you don't know any 3rd-level spells, nor do you know any 2nd-level ranger spells. You can use the spell slots of those levels to cast the spells you do know — and potentially enhance their effects.

It explicitly states that you wouldn't know higher level spells. RAW and RAI.

Smokefly
2019-03-08, 10:45 AM
The phantom steed ritual is probably less of an investment and works pretty well if your DM allows you a full minute of combat on it after it takes it's first hit. Spell sniper will allow you to attack at range with lance and SCAG cantrips. Nice with BB as it locks foes in place or..... Boom. Also goes well with twin and quicken metamagic and the 100 ft move speed of phantom steed. Use a whip for a similar effect when off your mount. Extra style (and damage) points if you can get elemental weapon involved too 🐵

Warped Wiseman
2019-03-08, 12:27 PM
The example given does not state any restrictions. It certainly implies a restriction was intended, but it never says that restriction exists. Every sentence in that example is also valid if we assume that you can prepare higher level spells, but choose not to. Hence RAI, not RAW.

Let's look at this another way. With the given ranger 4/wizard 3 example, it states that the sample character has an Int of 16, and can thus prepare 6 wizard spells. However, it is possible that the character only has a 16 Int because they used their ASI from Ranger 4 to increase their Int from 14 to 16. Going by the ruling that we should only consider what they would have if they were wizard 3, they would technically only have an Int of 14, and thus would only be able to prepare 5 wizard spells.

The game rules (in this case) don't care how you got to a particular ability score, only that you have it. The same logic applies to spell slots.

You are free to disagree with me, but you will also need to start keeping track of which classes give you your ASIs when determining spells prepared in order to be consistent.

NaughtyTiger
2019-03-08, 01:21 PM
The example given does not state any restrictions. It certainly implies a restriction was intended, but it never says that restriction exists. Every sentence in that example is also valid if we assume that you can prepare higher level spells, but choose not to. Hence RAI, not RAW.

Let's look at this another way. With the given ranger 4/wizard 3 example, it states that the sample character has an Int of 16, and can thus prepare 6 wizard spells. However, it is possible that the character only has a 16 Int because they used their ASI from Ranger 4 to increase their Int from 14 to 16. Going by the ruling that we should only consider what they would have if they were wizard 3, they would technically only have an Int of 14, and thus would only be able to prepare 5 wizard spells.

The game rules (in this case) don't care how you got to a particular ability score, only that you have it. The same logic applies to spell slots.

You are free to disagree with me, but you will also need to start keeping track of which classes give you your ASIs when determining spells prepared in order to be consistent.

Streeeeetch.
I do like that you give me permission to disagree with you, but insist that I must follow your rules if I do. very charitable.

Mitsu
2019-03-08, 05:45 PM

Game rules are clear, you just try now to force your Interpretation of them to us. RAW is clear- you know spells assosiated with your class level, not your caster level. There is no room for any other interpretation here.

Your own houserule at your table is your own business, but please don't try to make it RAW, because it's false.

Corran
2019-03-09, 06:15 AM
@Warped_Wiseman: It's a case of specific vs general. When you are a multiclass character, the rules that apply to how you prepare spells are those specified in the multiclassing section.

Spore
2019-03-09, 08:47 AM
I am going to delve into the guide tonight after work but let me just say that I am so glad this is no Sorcerer king thread.

jdolch
2019-03-09, 11:58 AM
@Warped_Wiseman: Sorry, but you are simply wrong. Of course you can houserule everything you want, but according to both RAW and RAI, you are wrong.

And this is not a case of RAW vs RAI. Your "Interpretation" goes against both.

belfastbiker
2019-06-20, 08:45 PM
“And one last thing, even when enemy manages to make WIS save, and they pass your Steed AC, you can always cast Shield or Absorb Elements and make it miss or reduce Steed Damage by half if it was elemental spell/attack”

Can you explain this?

If the steed is hit with an attack, it doesn’t affect you unless you have warding bond on surely? Thus, nothing to react to?