PDA

View Full Version : Dragonborn boots.

Aussiehams
2019-03-03, 09:33 PM
G'day all.

I have been looking at a bit of art lately, and seen that most Dragonborn are drawn with bare feet, even when in plate etc. I always pictured mine stomping around in boots like a normal adventurer.

Are barefoot DB the norm? That seems a little gross in a dungeon, but that might just be me.

It has no effect on anything, I just noticed it and thought it was strange.

Danielqueue1
2019-03-03, 11:16 PM
Just an art choice I'm pretty sure. Just like how there is so little art showing them with helmets either. It's easy to transfer art for different races for the most part, add some leaves and pointy ears and you got a wood elf, but how do you make a greathelm for a creature with a different skull structure? By making them go shoeless artists can show that the race is different without having to spend more time figuring out what looks good and practical on a different kind of foot.

Aussiehams
2019-03-03, 11:55 PM
Agreed.

I guess apart from overall size and perspective (Which DnD art isn't always great at), full plate with a full helm on a half orc and a half elf looks essentially the same I guess, which is why no one wears helmets in the art.

Shuruke
2019-03-04, 08:42 AM
Tbh when I read the title I expected something like a character wanting snake skin boots but dragonborn

Imbalance
2019-03-04, 08:58 AM
The art, in this case, is probably exhibiting a close parallel to the rarity of Dragonborn in their own setting. In a universe as diverse as D&D, supply and demand is still a thing. Humans and such are a dime a dozen, and even dwarves have similar enough head shapes and feet that an armor smith or cobbler would do well to craft helms and footwear for that broad consumer base. Further, even among dragonborn there seems to be a great deal of variety regarding quantity, shape, and size of horns protruding from just about everywhere, so there really wouldn't be a template to mass produce much for those customers beyond pauldrons and grieves.

So, hypothetically, Dragonborn go barefoot and helmet-less because they can't readily find those articles to fit them, and bespoke items are expensive and take time to produce. Dragonborn depictions are thus accurate because artists don't have many other prior examples of these folk wearing such garb to copy and don't bother taking time to address the matter with practical, thought-out, original solutions. As a sometimes-artist, this would be my excuse, but then this is exactly the kind of oddball sketch-study creativity I end up doodling. I'll see what I can scratch out if I remember this the next time I'm bored in a meeting.

Funny enough, just about every instance I can think of of a lizard- or DB type wearing a helmet shows an open-faced design that leaves the foremost and presumably most sensitive portion of the face boldly exposed. This seems like a disadvantage, an especially obvious weak point in any amount of overall protection. Likewise, unless a person of dragon descent diligently keeps their toenails trimmed, it is indeed difficult to render a closed toe shoe or boot that would fit well and wear comfortably. Sandals with added protection may actually be preferred.

Coffee_Dragon
2019-03-04, 09:28 AM
Tbh when I read the title I expected something like a character wanting snake skin boots but dragonborn

Same. Like, "Would it be considered offensive to walk down the street wearing dragonborn boots?"

And the answer is, no! It's 2019, we're over that now. Wear anyone.

Dr. Cliché
2019-03-04, 10:03 AM
Not quite the same thing but I've got a Pathfinder Tiefling character with a trait that means he has animal-like paws instead of normal feet.

With that in mind, it seemed weird to me that he'd wear boots. I mean, I can't see normal boots fitting him in the first place and (given his upbringing) I don't see him having the inclination to try and get some specially made.

Admittedly, he might change his mind if the party needs to venture into a sewer or if an enemy uses caltrops... :smallwink:

Likewise, unless a person of dragon descent diligently keeps their toenails trimmed, it is indeed difficult to render a closed toe shoe or boot that would fit well and wear comfortably. Sandals with added protection may actually be preferred.

Or maybe boots with open toes?

Connington
2019-03-04, 12:10 PM

Same. Ew.

I'd chalk it up to not covering the distinctive parts of your fantasy race up in concealing armor. Maybe that would be different if there was an unlimited amount of Dragonborn art, but there isn't.

That said, even species without a bonus to Armor Class could easily have feet with hard enough scales that boots are essentially redundant. They might make a point of cleaning their feet before walking inside their home, but dirt, grit, and sharps wouldn't necessarily bother them. Halflings have at least some of that just from leathery soles.

Unoriginal
2019-03-04, 01:11 PM
All Dragonborns are actually three Hobbits in a trenchcoat.

Anonymouswizard
2019-03-04, 01:41 PM
All Dragonborns are actually three Hobbits in a trenchcoat.

This is related to a point I was going to make:

Why do the halflings always wear shoes? I mean, I know that they're not technically hobbits now, but that's how most people I've met play them. About 90% of halflings I've seen in actual play have been barefoot, because their feet grow natural leathery soles and thick brown hair like the stuff on their heads (which is curly). Down with the tyranny of the boot!

In all seriousness, the character I'm playing in my 'just about to start' game is a halfing from a more tribal community, and they* don't wear shoes at all. They've adopted most elements of 'civilised' clothing during their time in the city, but shoes are the one place they draw the line.

* Gender is still undecided.