PDA

View Full Version : Help me to build a Tomelock Hexblade

Aleister VII
2019-03-04, 12:23 AM
Hey there guys I would like your opinions and suggestions about this build, a Hexblade warlock who will take the pact of the tome instead of the usual pact of the blade.
The thing is that I've already played this build once but it wasn't planned as I just made it on the fly picking the options that I felt will help the party at that time, it ended being the face, the utility via rituals and fighting using sword & shield and BB/GFB, I didn't multiclassed as I didn't wanted to get too complex, now I'm back after being some months far from D&D and want to recreate and improve that build but I'm somewhat still rusty.

Among the things that I'm sure that I want is: Fight at melee using my CHA and get a familiar with pact of the tome's ritual casting like in my previous build but I'm not sure of what weapon should I use, neither I know if there's a better way to cause damage than using BB and GFB as I don't get extra attacks IIRC, I'm also open to multiclassing this time but when and into what I'm neither sure, so far only fighter pick my interest because of action surge and a fighting style.

So... What options should I consider and what I'm overlooking?

Edit: Also what race is a good pick? The Previous one was a V. Human with warcaster

Quoz
2019-03-04, 01:02 AM
Race: you're V. Human is fine, probably even great. The only real stats you care about are Cha and Con. Grab 14 Dex for medium armor then forget about it, and a 13 in whatever multiclass stat you may want. I would look at Half elf or elf, elven accuracy is amazing with hexblade's curse for crit fishing.

Fighting style: good news, you can use any one handed weapon. Bad news, you can only use one weapon. Also locking yourself out of improved pact weapon means you can't use a weapon as a focus so unless you pick up warcaster you can't go sword and board. I would go with versatile weapon of choice or just stick to eldritch blasts.

Multiclass: lots of great options. Paladin 2 may be one of the strongest with divine smite, fighting style, and 1st level daily spell slots for shield. Can push to 6 in a longer game for extra attack and the best saves in the game. Bladesinger wizard 2, sorcerer 1 (dragon or divine soul), or Fighter 2 are all excellent dips as well.

bid
2019-03-04, 01:20 AM
Hexblade without pact of blade limits you to versatile weapons, not an issue if you go with shield.

Starting fighter will boost your Concentration save, and a late EK 7 can give you extra attack and 1st-2nd slots for utility spells. I'm not sure it's worth going beyond EK 3 though.
Starting sorcerer also has Con saves and you can attack twice with twin BB, which is almost "better" than action surge. Your utility slots come earlier too. You almost need to go draconic, as the 1d6 hp is pretty low.

Half elf 10 14 16 10 10 16 is about as good as vuman 10 14 14 10 10 16, but scourge aasimar, tabaxi or triton also hit the right stats.

Warcaster, you know how useful it is. If you want an alternative to get 2 attacks, you can use PAM with spears. Mobile with BB can be interesting too.

It depends how close to the previous concept you want to be, or if you'd rather explore alternatives.

Aleister VII
2019-03-04, 02:06 AM
Are paladin smites that good? I can see the potential of them being fueled by short rest recharging spell slots, my first idea was fighter for it's many ASI/Feats, action surge and heavy weapons.

So can I smite when hitting with BB or GFB?

And what is more effective of these, smiting, quickening BB, spell sniping BB with a polearm or PAM?

Zaltman
2019-03-04, 10:18 AM
I am currently playing a single class Tomelock Hexblade and love the versatility. For a versatility maximizing build, I suggest taking spell sniper as your v. human feat and taking EB as the cantrip to free up your other warlock cantrips. With Tome, make one of your cantrip selections Primal Savagery. PS does not work with GFB, so that frees you up to focus on more non-attack cantrips.

With this build you walk around with just a shield and no weapon drawn, always have a had free for casting, blast everything in sight (even from the back of the party through cover at 240’ away) and if a bad guy closes with you claw him for solid damage since PS scales. You can also never be “disarmed” and if you still want to use one of your precious cantrips on GFB and bond with a non two-handed weapon, go ahead. For fluff, my Patron is the Raven Queen, so PS turns my hand into a large raven claw. I have not done it, and it is far from optimized, but in my mind I keep adding Shield Master to this build for the saves and the cinematic idea of a claw + shield bash.

Yes, some of the other builds are more melee DPR optimized (Shillelagh + GFB), but this gives you much more versatility and enhanced survivability because you are ranged blaster with a shield.

DevilMcam
2019-03-04, 10:40 AM
Forgo the sword, and get the crossbow expert feat along with warcaster.

Eldritch blast is your extra attack, and you can use it from mele to 60 feets IIRC. and you can multiattack on attacks of opportunity.

Get medium armor, shield for extra AC, and if you have good rolls (14 DEX, good CHA and CON) go hill dwarf for extra HPS,
You have fighter level of HPs and attacks but you have tomelock utility.

rbstr
2019-03-04, 11:07 AM
Zaltman, that advice doesn't make sense.
Primal Savagery is still a cantrip pick - taking it or GFB is a zero-sum game of cantrip picks. And GFB or booming blade are better than PS damage-wise.
Shillelagh would also be a terrible pick on hexblade as you already get to use your charisma for a quarterstaff.

On other stuff:
Part of the "problem" with trying to melee as a hexblade without the blade pact is that you're really missing out on a good bit of bonus damage from your Curse or Hex - you only get to tap someone once (maybe twice if you have PAM or MC sorc. for quicken).

One option that is very strong is to actually take Crossbow Expert and use Eldritch Blast in melee (and make sure to take agonizing blast). This will scale extremely well and be very versatile. You'll basically get as many "extra attacks" as a fighter. It works great with the curse or hex. Lots of range. Some really great invocation options for resource-free control too.

As far as MCing
I honestly think, if you're getting up to mid/high levels and the campaign is getting the average 2-short rests a day, more warlock is really very strong. In particular because the class doesn't get to scale spell slots with MCing like other casters. But you also get some great melee-oriented spells like Shadow of Moil. At the very least stay in warlock until level 5.
Sorceror - This is good and versatile. But you're gonna absolutely torch spell points/spell slots quickening booming blade very often. So if you want to cast other spells you might want to not consider that as a primary combat strategy.
Bard - most flavors of Bard have something to give you that's decent.
Fighter - Action surge is amazing, EK could give you utility slots, level 5 is extra attack (but you'd be a minimum of level 8 to be tome-lock and have extra attack, and mostly fighter at that point)

Ventruenox
2019-03-04, 11:21 AM
For fluff, my Patron is the Raven Queen, so PS turns my hand into a large raven claw. I have not done it, and it is far from optimized, but in my mind I keep adding Shield Master to this build for the saves and the cinematic idea of a claw + shield bash.

The bonus action shield bash requires that you take the Attack action, where Primal Savagery is a Cast a Spell action to make a melee spell attack. Sorry, that doesn't work. The other benefits of Shield Master are still absolutely worthwhile.

Aleister VII, also consider Shadar-Kai, Half Elf, or Tieflings for your racial pick. The CHA boost helps out, and the racial traits either give you free cantrips/spells, skills, or spooky teleportation powers.

Zaltman
2019-03-04, 12:36 PM
The bonus action shield bash requires that you take the Attack action, where Primal Savagery is a Cast a Spell action to make a melee spell attack. Sorry, that doesn't work. The other benefits of Shield Master are still absolutely worthwhile.

Thanks for the clarification and bursting my visual bubble!

Zaltman
2019-03-04, 01:05 PM
Zaltman, that advice doesn't make sense.
Primal Savagery is still a cantrip pick - taking it or GFB is a zero-sum game of cantrip picks. And GFB or booming blade are better than PS damage-wise.

I see your point about a zero-sum game, but not 100% equal because PS gives you different kind of attack and GFB augments and existing attack. Agree that PS is not optimal, but I played with some numbers and I think PS is more viable than it looks and in limited situations is even better:

5th level with Hex, GFB and long sword. 1D8 + 1D6 + 1D8 for weapon + 4 stat = 7-26. Wins if you value damage to creatures within 5 feet or higher average.
5th level with Hex and Primal Savagery. 2d10 + 1D6 = 3-26. Lower average, same ceiling. Wins if you value hands free for casting and fact you can’t be disarmed.
11th level with Hex, GFB and long sword. 2D8 + 1D6 + 1D8 for weapon + 4 stat = 8-34. Wins if you value damage to creatures within 5 feet or higher average.
11th level with Hex and Primal Savagery. 3d10 + 1D6 = 4-36. Lower average, higher ceiling. Still wins if you value hands free for casting and fact you can’t be disarmed.

Shillelagh would also be a terrible pick on hexblade as you already get to use your charisma for a quarterstaff.

I think Shillelagh + PAM + Hex + GFB is the highest melee damage output build with Tome. Shillelagh is still viable because it upgrades damage from D6 to D8 and lets the weapon count as magic. It also frees you to use your Hex Warrior weapon “attunement” with another weapon instead of your staff for a little more flexibility.

I admit I’m new at this stuff so please correct me if I’m missing something.

Smokefly
2019-03-04, 05:55 PM
You can get decent damage and battlefield control by MCing into Sorcerer and taking spell sniper as well as warcaster. This allows you to look foes in place by hitting them at range with either a whip or a lance and BB. You can twin these attacks for just 1 sorcery point and then quicken a GFB or Eldritch Blast if nova damage is called for. Don't forget you can recharge SPs with quickly replenished warlock slots and even turn those into extra sorcerer spells and repeat before a short rest. Also if using UA, healing elixir (level 1 warlock spell) lets you manufacture healing potions that last 24 hours. Level 1 sorcerer slots are awesome for shield and absorb elements (also 4 more cantrips?) and Phantom steed is a great ritual if you can get it and fancy giving the booming lance a go. It's worth remembering that with an expanded crit range through hexblade's curse or elven accuracy (or both) then having more dice to roll is optimal. I'm also a fan of the occasional elemental weapon, who doesn't want a whip or lance of thunder and lightning. 🐵

Aleister VII
2019-03-06, 01:58 PM
Thanks for your advice guys, I understand that EB is the most optimal and easy way to go for a warlock but I rather prefer to use a weapon.

How about having my familiar (the normal one) take the help action each turn to always have advantage, put hexblade curse and with elven accuracy (but I've to give up the vuman feat and spend my first ASI) roll 3 times and fish for Criticals spaming BB/GFB?
Weapon will be a long sword, I'll take a shield if possible too but I think that I need warcaster for that, I can't remenber.
The familiar will be an owl as it's a cool bird that reminds me of harry potter and it has Flyby, it may even help any rouge from my party to sneak attack!

I'm neither sure about the numbers but I guess that it depends on my level as the blade cantrips scale and I must at least grab my first ASI, and the CHA will be +4, I start with 15, then +2 from being half elf and then +1 more from elven accuracy.

Of course that I'll also grab EB to attack at range, the pushing invocation seems more appealing to me than agonizing blast for the control, like if an enemy is near a cliff I can push it off the edge or things like that.

Smokefly
2019-03-06, 05:56 PM
I agree RP control is more useful than AB damage, and BOAS beats then both. Warcaster is great, as it enables BB opportunity attacks as well as it's other benefits, but you don't need it for spamming BB or GFB as both cantrips only require verbal and material components... the material part being the weapon of your choice. EB does require Somatic so you'll have to sheath your weapon as a free action before casting and redraw it before attacking, until you can get warcaster. Spell Sniper is probably the one you should go for after EA, it allows you to use BB and GFB at range, it improves your blasting, and you get a bonus attack cantrips, (like GFB). You can also grab thorn whip from your tome pact and have 60ft range with pull effect cantrip instead of the invocation.
I like an owl familiar too, though beware vindictive enemies targeting them early in a fight. You can get advantage in many other ways, including stealth, flanking, shield master or mounted combatant feats, or something cool like using hex to give your raging barbarian the edge in a grapple battle with the BBEG whilst you and the rest of the party take advantage of the situation... Or you could go the darkness/devilsight combo and swap it out for Shadow of the Moil or Greater invisibility when you get there, but I prefer to save those higher level slots for defence or utility if poss. Misty step can be deadly with lining up the push or pull cantrips. Especially if there is a an area effect spell in place like spike growth or hunger of Hadar or an environmental factor such as a convenient bottomless abyss nearby, or the enemy being lined up on a ledge, parapet or ships rail. It's good to have options.