PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Sources on Illithids

Pinjata
2019-03-04, 04:16 AM
Hey guys,

I'm setting up a campaign, which will involve Illithids. Can you please recommend any material, I can use to learn as much lore about them, as possible?

Jcp1195
2019-03-04, 04:21 AM
There's a decent amount of lore on them in the fifth edition book, Vollo's Guide to Monsters on Pg. 77-81 including their lairs and colonies, biology, divine ideals, society, their air/space ships and special Illithid created magic items.

Saintheart
2019-03-04, 07:07 AM
For 3.5: Lords of Madness, chapter 4, starting on page 61.

DrKerosene
2019-03-04, 08:04 AM
I think 2nd Edition has a book called The Illithiad... a Spelljammer setting book.

One of the Drizzt novels has Mindflayer stuff.

3.5e had a magazine, Polyhedron#151.

I think 3.5e also had a setting book where one of the underdark cities was ruled by a trio of illithi-liches, I think 4e might have turned them into something weird during the Spellplague.

Edit: This Ethergaunt fluff piece includes a Mindflayer forced to answer questions under magical compulsion, http://khen-zai.tripod.com

BWR
2019-03-04, 06:22 PM
I think 2nd Edition has a book called The Illithiad... a Spelljammer setting book.

Actually it's in the Monstrous Arcana series, an all too brief set of books detailing monsters and giving a few themed full-sized adventures to accompany them (Sahuagin and Beholders got one, but no others).

Dragon #150 details a supposed origin planet for the mind flayers. This account doesn't fit with what is presented in the Illithiad, but either of those sources are preferable to Lords of Madness.

JoeJ
2019-03-04, 06:25 PM
Actually it's in the Monstrous Arcana series, an all too brief set of books detailing monsters and giving a few themed full-sized adventures to accompany them (Sahuagin and Beholders got one, but no others).

Dragon #150 details a supposed origin planet for the mind flayers. This account doesn't fit with what is presented in the Illithiad, but either of those sources are preferable to Lords of Madness.

The Astromundi Cluster, a 2e spelljammer supplement, has yet another origin for the 'flayers.

Chronos
2019-03-04, 06:30 PM
I believe there's also some information on them in d20 Modern. Apparently, they're time-travelers from the distant future.