PDA

View Full Version : Trying to identify this creature...

SirKazum
2019-03-04, 09:21 AM
Is this a lammasu or a shedu?

https://i.imgur.com/3pxAI1E.jpg

Yora
2019-03-04, 09:31 AM
They are the same thing.

Eldan
2019-03-04, 09:44 AM
I thought a Shedu was a male Lamassu. That's what I remember reading in some mythology article once, anyway.

hamishspence
2019-03-04, 09:49 AM
Going by Wikipedia's article, shedu and lammasu are the same thing - and their animal parts can be bull or lion - it's not clear if they must have wings, or if wings are optional.

In D&D 3.5 however, Lammasu always have a lion's animal parts (but with human head), shedu always have a bull's animal parts ( but with human head), and both always have wings.

SirKazum
2019-03-05, 02:16 PM
Sorry, couldn't get the image to work on the post here... here's the imgur link (https://imgur.com/3pxAI1E) :smalltongue:

Going by Wikipedia's article, shedu and lammasu are the same thing - and their animal parts can be bull or lion - it's not clear if they must have wings, or if wings are optional.

In D&D 3.5 however, Lammasu always have a lion's animal parts (but with human head), shedu always have a bull's animal parts ( but with human head), and both always have wings.

Yes, on retrospect, it's missing the wings. Silly me. Wonder what sort of creature it could be instead though...

Eldan
2019-03-06, 02:33 AM
Sorry, couldn't get the image to work on the post here... here's the imgur link (https://imgur.com/3pxAI1E) :smalltongue:

Yes, on retrospect, it's missing the wings. Silly me. Wonder what sort of creature it could be instead though...

Sphinx? 10char

SirKazum
2019-03-06, 07:26 AM
Sphinx? 10char

Sphinxes are enigmatic creatures with great, feathery wings

Nope... still disqualified by a lack of wings :smalltongue:

Eldan
2019-03-06, 08:08 AM
Are we talking "in D&D" or in mythology here, is the question. Most mythological sphinxes and actual statues I'm aware of have no wings.

Imbalance
2019-03-06, 09:15 AM
Pictured there is a mutant bastard of anime and genetic blasphemy that defies rational categorization and lacks decency of forebears. Keep in mind, however, that this being did not choose to be what it is, and we must treat it with the dignity that should be afforded a feeling creature.

If I had to say, that might be a kitsune.

Kardwill
2019-03-06, 09:29 AM
Keep in mind, however, that this being did not choose to be what it is, and we must treat it with the dignity that should be afforded a feeling creature.

And then kill it with fire. But, you know, respectfully.

It's definitely part of the "Abomination" subtype. An Anti-Cynocephal? Wonder how much XP it's worth...

SirKazum
2019-03-06, 09:29 AM
Are we talking "in D&D" or in mythology here, is the question. Most mythological sphinxes and actual statues I'm aware of have no wings.

Fair point. Yeah, I think we can provisionally call it a sphinx.

Maelynn
2019-03-08, 08:14 AM
All these assumptions and judgements. I bet nobody bothered to ask the poor thing what it identifies as.