PDA

View Full Version : A Gift for our GM

Bellin878
2019-03-04, 11:28 AM
Sometime last year my wife and I joined a new D&D 5e game at a local game store, on a whim. We had been playing tRPGs for over 15 years, but always with the same general group of friends, never really with strangers, and mostly 3.5 and other games, not really 5e. This game was being run by a new DM, but he was excited and engaged from the start. Over the course of a year, he built a great group and really put his heart into it. He solicited feedback and grew, and in short order became a very strong DM.

He also put a fair amount of money as well, buying custom minis for the bosses, printing out large maps, and more. He always refused financial help and such, just saying he enjoyed doing it.

It's one thing to thank him every week, but we'd really like to give him a lasting token of our appreciation for all the work he does. The problem is, I can't decide what - I don't know him well enough outside the game to know his other hobbies, interests, and possessions. Obviously a very nice set of custom dice is an option, but it feels a little too bland. We can budget around $100USD for this, and if we come up with something more expensive, we can engage other members of the group and make it a group effort. We'll likely include a gift card to something like Hero Forge or our FLGS as part of the gift, but want to include something personal and not straight financial to go with it as a physical object he can keep and hopefully cherish.

So, what are your ideas? Have you ever received a gift from other players that meant a lot to you? I appreciate any help you can offer.

JNAProductions
2019-03-04, 11:46 AM
My default gift is baking a batch of cookies for the person I want to bequeath something to, but that's not gonna last.

Maybe a custom-made DM screen? Custom dice? I'm not sure...

DeTess
2019-03-04, 12:00 PM
My group has recently been discussing something similar for our DM of nearly 2 years, and among the things you did not list that we considered was commissioning a custom artwork of the party for him, so maybe that's something worth considering? Some looking around showed that prices are usually around $50-$70 per character.

Bellin878
2019-03-04, 12:06 PM
My group has recently been discussing something similar for our DM of nearly 2 years, and among the things you did not list that we considered was commissioning a custom artwork of the party for him, so maybe that's something worth considering? Some looking around showed that prices are usually around $50-$70 per character.

I haven't thought about that, definitely adding it to the list of ideas. It's personal, and ties to this campaign, which is great.

TerakasTaranath
2019-03-04, 12:50 PM
My friends got me a pint sized mug off Etsy. It says "Dungeon Master. My name." and it has a D20 on 20 on it. I lit up like a tree when I got it. My other friend got the shirt that said "when the DM smiles it's to late" because he has a **** eating grin when something awful is about to happen :p

Kol Korran
2019-03-04, 03:46 PM
I also tend to get very involved as a GM. In two of my campaigns, I wanted to purchase custom artwork of the PCs and main themes. From talking to other DMs, it seems like a recurring desire?

It didn't work out in the end, but Inwould be grinning like mad if it did!

Also, congrats on having a great GM!

Jay R
2019-03-04, 03:57 PM
Listen carefully at the table. Most of us will occasionally talk about the game or supplement we wish we had.

Don't ask leading questions. Just listen. It takes longer, and might not work, but if it does work it's much better to get him something he didn't know you knew he wanted.

Mr Beer
2019-03-04, 05:02 PM
Don't limit yourself to RPG related items. What does he do/like outside of DM-ing?

HurinSmite
2019-03-04, 05:12 PM
My players recently gave me a T-shirt saying "the omnipotent Gamemaster. roll for initiative" and text like that. They gave it as thanks for the group resuming play after a 6 month long (unplanned) break. I was very grateful and I felt appreciated as a GM.

First gift was a homemade knitted dicebag. I was stunned and surprised. I still use it ofcourse.

I guess what I'm saying is that it's the thought that counts rather than the material price. The GM will be grateful.

NRSASD
2019-03-05, 11:41 AM
One of my more artistic players sculpted an inch tall Strahd token for our campaign, complete with evil grin and creepily-hugging-Ireena action. It's fantastic!