PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A New Artificer Infusions question

clash
2019-03-04, 12:43 PM
The wording on the artificer infusions is a bit confusing so I am hoping someone here can help clarify. I basically see 2 interpretations:

1) At level 20 you can have a total of 8 items with infusions at any given time, but each morning you can only move around 5 of them to other items.

2) At level 20 you know 8 different infusions you can apply but you can only have a total of 5 items with infusions.

stoutstien
2019-03-04, 01:51 PM
There is the infusions that are just magic items that's are not gear infusions.
Look for replicate magic item page 9

clash
2019-03-04, 02:19 PM
Right, I am aware of those. I am just trying to figure out how many items you can have with infusions at one time total. Is it 5 or 8?

stoutstien
2019-03-04, 02:32 PM
Right, I am aware of those. I am just trying to figure out how many items you can have with infusions at one time total. Is it 5 or 8?
8 infusions but only 5 can be infused item which is all the infusions not on the replicate list. The wording is bad.
How I read it anyway

Xayah
2019-03-04, 02:36 PM
8 infusions but only 5 can be infused item which is all the infusions not on the replicate list. The wording is bad.
How I read it anyway
This is wrong and based on a misunderstanding on how Replicate Magic Items works. In fact, it is nothing more than just another infusion you can put into an item, as it reads:

Infusing an Item
Whenever you finish a long rest, you can touch a nonmagical object and imbue it with one of your artificer infusions, turning it into a magic item.

In the tables, an item’s entry tells you whether the item requires attunement.See the item’s description in the Dungeon Master’s Guidefor more information about it, including the type of object required for its making.

For example, in order to make a Bag of Holding, you first need a regular bag, which you then turn into its magical equivalent.
Because of this, the Replicated Magic Items also count as Infused Items

To answer the original question, by level 20, you know 8 different infusions, but at any time you may only have 5 items infused. Every morning you pick which 5 items you infuse with which Infusion.
I hope I clarified it.

rbstr
2019-03-04, 02:36 PM
"If you tryto exceed your maximumnumber of infusions, the oldest infusion immediately ends, and then the new infusion applies."

You can learn more infusions than you can actually have applied at any given time.
So at level 20 you can have 5 applied at one one time of the 8 you know.

Eragon123
2019-03-04, 02:38 PM
I viewed it in as a similar format to spell slots.

For example.

A first level wizard can prepare ~3-4 spells on average. However, he only has 2 spell slots.

In a similar way an artificer has more infusion options than he has 'slots' for. However, you can mix and match however you want, even using the same infusion on multiple items.

You can infuse more than one nonmagical object at the end of a long rest; the maximum number of objects appears in the Infused Items column of the Artificer table. You must touch each of the objects, and each of your infusions can be in only one object at a time. If you try to exceed your maximum number of infusions, the oldest infusion immediately ends, and then the new infusion applies.

A warforged artificer can have a disgusting amount of constant AC.

EDIT: I was wrong. Except for the warforged part. That's still true.

stoutstien
2019-03-04, 03:52 PM
Wow I really read that wrong lol.