PDA

View Full Version : Ways to count as a different race

weckar
2019-03-04, 04:42 PM
Other than Racial Emulation - which is for humanoids only - and Stoneblessed - which is otherwise limited - what can a character of one race do to qualify as another for feats/ prcs/magic items? I am looking to specifically step outside the humanoids without actually polymorphing...

Segev
2019-03-04, 04:56 PM
Other than Racial Emulation - which is for humanoids only - and Stoneblessed - which is otherwise limited - what can a character of one race do to qualify as another for feats/ prcs/magic items? I am looking to specifically step outside the humanoids without actually polymorphing...

Well, for magic items, there's Use Magic Device, which lets you emulate a particular race at a DC 25 check.

Being the subject of polymorph any object changes you into the target creature for the spell's duration. This is used in Beholder Mage builds; whether you hold truck with it or not is up to you and your DM. But you can make it permanent if you're careful how you stack similarity scores. But that is actually polymorphing.

The Dragontouched feat from Dragon Magic gives you the Dragonblood subtype, which may qualify you for some things.

What race(s) are you particularly looking to emulate?

Thurbane
2019-03-04, 05:37 PM
Human Heritage feat (RoD); although that won't help with counting as non-humanoid.

Anthrowhale
2019-03-04, 06:17 PM
The Otherworldly feat makes you an outsider although it does not change your race.

NontheistCleric
2019-03-04, 08:02 PM
Shaper of Form's Modify Self feature lets you change your race to anything, presumably with the full traits, including HD, of that race. You can't go outside your type, unfortunately, but if you're a humanoid, you can still become any humanoid you want.

Falontani
2019-03-04, 08:52 PM
Shaper of Form's Modify Self feature lets you change your race to anything, presumably with the full traits, including HD, of that race. You can't go outside your type, unfortunately, but if you're a humanoid, you can still become any humanoid you want.

There are many ways to change your type permanently, with this and those you can change your race to many different things

daremetoidareyo
2019-03-04, 09:22 PM
mongrelfolk have a thing

half ogre template from dragon 313

egoist substitution level from the online stuff might be fun

dragonwrought

incarnate construct with human heritage can be a giant

human heritage on a weird thing like undead, a construct, or an awakened animal grants human type, then become a spellscale. you get to keep all your subtypes.

RaiKirah
2019-03-04, 10:21 PM

I used Shaper of Form in my Gamewarper's Competition build for the Dragonwrought Kobold round. The conclusion I came to after doing a fair amount of research into effects similar to it is that you do not in fact get the RHD of the target race, which was a cornerstone of my build allowing me to change into a Very Old Silver Dragon at ECL 10 and continue with class levels.

Bphill561
2019-03-05, 02:17 AM
I used Shaper of Form in my Gamewarper's Competition build for the Dragonwrought Kobold round. The conclusion I came to after doing a fair amount of research into effects similar to it is that you do not in fact get the RHD of the target race, which was a cornerstone of my build allowing me to change into a Very Old Silver Dragon at ECL 10 and continue with class levels.

The ability specifically states you cannot turn into a race with Level adjustment, which would rule out any True Dragon form (unless there was some pre-LA buyoff occurring before transformation for post transformation). It does not bar you from turning into something with HD, but there are not a large amount of races with HD and no level adjustment.

This ability works best with the above mentioned Otherworldly feat, as the feat maintains your type of native outsider regardless of the selected race. Best when applied to large ability score monster turned human or whatever.

As for the original question, it might help if you tell us your intended goal. As already mentioned UMD works on magic items. There are spells and feats that change your type, but may not change or appearance. Some of these things are temporary, so might not be best for PrC qualification.

RaiKirah
2019-03-05, 10:41 AM
The ability specifically states you cannot turn into a race with Level adjustment, which would rule out any True Dragon form (unless there was some pre-LA buyoff occurring before transformation for post transformation). It does not bar you from turning into something with HD, but there are not a large amount of races with HD and no level adjustment.

The trick hinged upon the assertion that 'LA: -' is equivalent to 'no level adjustment.' To be fair, this interpretation would technically rule out LA: 0 races as viable targets, as the identity is still an element in the set of level adjustments. Most of the older age category True Dragons do not have LA. Regardless, we've gotten off topic and I'll not detail this any more. If your interested in this discussion we can start a new thread.