PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Warlock: Lightbringer Patron

AgentMaineSIGMA
2019-03-04, 04:48 PM
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1x9uUrST9oOzfru2ZzGs9JiDi8CpTJvCwhdDWfGj5v_0/edit?usp=sharing

Inspired by a post about how the sun is something of an eldritch abomination, I immediately started wondering what a pact with the sun would get you. The Lightbringer is about as good as I could come up with. You get abilities all based on- you guessed it- light. From illusion and fire spells, to hard light constructs, to becoming a being of pure light yourself, I think this patron offers a lot of fun, fairly unique options. If you have any recommended changes/balancing suggestions, I always appreciate feedback. If you like this, check out some of my other homebrew stuff. Thanks!

Beastlands
2019-03-05, 12:12 AM
That would be quite the unique patron to be communicating to the warlock. I wonder how they would communicate with each other and what implications it can have on a campaign. I love warlocks for the fact that they are insanely rich with lore.

AgentMaineSIGMA
2019-03-05, 12:34 AM
That would be quite the unique patron to be communicating to the warlock. I wonder how they would communicate with each other and what implications it can have on a campaign. I love warlocks for the fact that they are insanely rich with lore.

One of my favorite classes by far. The pacts themselves are insanely fun too, depending on how much detail you get into writing it up. Like, a lawyer-warlock who writes in tons of legal loopholes to his pact so he basically gets power for free. They’re such a cool class.

clash
2019-03-06, 11:25 AM
EXPANDED SPELL LIST: I would go guiding bolt over searing smite. Also no wall of light?

EYES OF THE LIGHTBRINGER: Saves warlocks an invocation for it but nothing they cant normally get

STAGGERING FLARE: Seems fine. No issues here I think.

CRYSTALLINE LUSTER: This seems fine given that it needs to be in an unoccupied space. Underpowered if you are not creative, but about right if you are.

BATHED IN LIGHT: Love the flavor on this and the power level sits right. I might swap the levels for this and CRYSTALLINE LUSTER. Warlokcs usually get a more offensive ability at level 6 and a more defensive one at level 10.

LUMINOUS FORM: These usually fill in for a warlocks missing level 6 spell slot and comparing this to investiture of flame it seems about right. It might be a little on the weak side. You dont specify how long a creature is blinded for.

Overall the power elvel is about right airing on the side of a bit weaker, which is probably a good thing. The theme matches the flavor and it looks fun to play.

AgentMaineSIGMA
2019-03-06, 11:44 AM
EXPANDED SPELL LIST: I would go guiding bolt over searing smite. Also no wall of light?

EYES OF THE LIGHTBRINGER: Saves warlocks an invocation for it but nothing they cant normally get

STAGGERING FLARE: Seems fine. No issues here I think.

CRYSTALLINE LUSTER: This seems fine given that it needs to be in an unoccupied space. Underpowered if you are not creative, but about right if you are.

BATHED IN LIGHT: Love the flavor on this and the power level sits right. I might swap the levels for this and CRYSTALLINE LUSTER. Warlokcs usually get a more offensive ability at level 6 and a more defensive one at level 10.

LUMINOUS FORM: These usually fill in for a warlocks missing level 6 spell slot and comparing this to investiture of flame it seems about right. It might be a little on the weak side. You dont specify how long a creature is blinded for.

Overall the power elvel is about right airing on the side of a bit weaker, which is probably a good thing. The theme matches the flavor and it looks fun to play.

Thanks for the input! A few things:

EXPANDED SPELL LIST: I'm fairly ambivalent to searing smite/guiding bolt, but given the generally ranged-theme of the class, you're probably right on changing that. I actually planned on adding wall of light, and then I found out warlocks can learn it naturally, so I had to scramble a bit for the 5th level spells.

LUMINOUS FORM: Thanks for catching that I didn't define the blindness length. Part of me wants to limit it to start-of-your-next-turn since you repeat it just by being close, but if the class is largely underpowered, a bit of a buff here could do it some good. What would you recommend?

clash
2019-03-06, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the input! A few things:

EXPANDED SPELL LIST: I'm fairly ambivalent to searing smite/guiding bolt, but given the generally ranged-theme of the class, you're probably right on changing that. I actually planned on adding wall of light, and then I found out warlocks can learn it naturally, so I had to scramble a bit for the 5th level spells.

LUMINOUS FORM: Thanks for catching that I didn't define the blindness length. Part of me wants to limit it to start-of-your-next-turn since you repeat it just by being close, but if the class is largely underpowered, a bit of a buff here could do it some good. What would you recommend?

Given that it can apply every turn, start of next turn is probably about right. Actually, I also just took into account that it doesn't require any concentration for the effect. Given that, I wouldn't give it any buffs. It looks fine as is.