PDA

View Full Version : Role play Help. Being followed of Pholtus without intruding on the chaotic party

Shuruke
2019-03-04, 06:42 PM
So I have a fun character concept of a LG barbarian

My only issue is everyone else in party is very chaotic

Haven't played yet and am trying to do research on Pholtus.

What would be good tenets for a follower of Pholtus who although being Lawful and Just won't throw party members to gaurds when they openly break laws.

I see the multiple orders under Pholtus and think being follower of blinding light could work but can't find good information.

In short is their a list of tenets or laws for Pholtans from previous editions?

Particle_Man
2019-03-04, 06:56 PM
Not sure about specifics. One strategic idea is to "fight fire with fire" and help find missions for this chaotic party against other minions of chaos (demons, slaadi, etc.). You need to be proactive on that and convince the chaotic party that there is "gold in them thar hills!" but it could work. Then you take the long view, don't throw them to guards now if they can defeat demons later on. That sort of thing.

Shuruke
2019-03-04, 07:21 PM
Not sure about specifics. One strategic idea is to "fight fire with fire" and help find missions for this chaotic party against other minions of chaos (demons, slaadi, etc.). You need to be proactive on that and convince the chaotic party that there is "gold in them thar hills!" but it could work. Then you take the long view, don't throw them to guards now if they can defeat demons later on. That sort of thing.

I thought of that approach but that doesn't feel like justice

That feels like having the end justify means which is more cg

Particle_Man
2019-03-04, 10:10 PM
All I can say is that the sapphire Hierarch player is recommended to try this approach and they are definitionally lawful.

Thinker
2019-03-05, 07:53 AM
Your character isn't a cleric or paladin so you don't gain your powers directly from Pholtus. Therefore, you can follow Pholtus, but don't have to agree with all of his tenets, nor do you jeopardize your own character by associating with those who don't agree with you. You might also justify your actions as being for the greater good or furthering order in some way, despite your associates. Maybe your barbarian isn't extreme enough to care about others' actions so long as you're not dragged into their madness. Maybe their chaos is the source of your rage - you just bottle up your irritation at all of the chaotic crap people do until you unleash your rage in combat.

Particle_Man
2019-03-05, 09:36 AM
Ah, the Roy Greenhilt method.

By the way, which edition are you using? Some do not allow LG barbarians to rage.

Shuruke
2019-03-05, 01:12 PM
Ah, the Roy Greenhilt method.

By the way, which edition are you using? Some do not allow LG barbarians to rage.

5e which is nice because alot of alignment restrictions arent around

Shuruke
2019-03-05, 03:12 PM
All I can say is that the sapphire Hierarch player is recommended to try this approach and they are definitionally lawful.

I tried googling them

Dont know anything about them do I'm have link I can use

Shuruke
2019-03-05, 03:14 PM
Your character isn't a cleric or paladin so you don't gain your powers directly from Pholtus. Therefore, you can follow Pholtus, but don't have to agree with all of his tenets, nor do you jeopardize your own character by associating with those who don't agree with you. You might also justify your actions as being for the greater good or furthering order in some way, despite your associates. Maybe your barbarian isn't extreme enough to care about others' actions so long as you're not dragged into their madness. Maybe their chaos is the source of your rage - you just bottle up your irritation at all of the chaotic crap people do until you unleash your rage in combat.

The idea os the character is a devout follower that thoroughly agrees with the Pholtan way of life.

He would be just as devout and righteous as a cleric or Pally but as a barbarian.

Thinker
2019-03-05, 04:58 PM
The idea os the character is a devout follower that thoroughly agrees with the Pholtan way of life.

He would be just as devout and righteous as a cleric or Pally but as a barbarian.

Then maybe you only hold yourself to those standards and not others. Or, maybe you see this as an opportunity to proselytize others and bring them to Pholtus.