PDA

View Full Version : Damage options for new Alchemist artificer

Throne12
2019-03-04, 09:40 PM
As much I would like to use a acid attack as a Alchemist. I feel it's better to go with a weapon for main damge. So I saw on the " the Alchemist is here" thread. About a javaln load out that returns. But I was thinking you get crossbow prof so wouldn't a crossbow build do better?

R.Shackleford
2019-03-04, 09:46 PM
As much I would like to use a acid attack as a Alchemist. I feel it's better to go with a weapon for main damge. So I saw on the " the Alchemist is here" thread. About a javaln load out that returns. But I was thinking you get crossbow prof so wouldn't a crossbow build do better?

Become Mary Poppins.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/aw33an/artificer_idea_were_mary_poppins_yall/

Take a Dart. Infuse the Returning Weapon trait into the dart. Take Sharpshooter to give it a half-decent range, ignore cover, and some damage. Cast Continual Flame on the Dart. Start playing Come a Little Bit Closer by Jay and the Americans whilst using the Dart. Whistle to the Dart.

Flavor the dart as if you’re mentally remote controlling it with a mechanical arcane device!

We’re Yondu now! And it’s viable. It’s not fantastic. I’d appreciate more range, but hey! Splitting hairs.

If you’re a stickler for mechanical optimization, just put a Hand Crossbow in your other hand for your third attack per turn I suppose. If you’re not, just have fun!

Languid_Duck
2019-03-04, 11:02 PM
Alchemist's pet is weak damagewise, so the best it can do as far as sustained damage is Hand crossbow with Crossbow Expert and Arcane Weapon or any weapon enchant of preference.

Thrown weapon builds can work and have the benefit of shield use, but requires a strength build instead of a dexterity build, meaning MADness or poor AC from armor. They can alternately wait til level 12 for Gauntlets of Ogre Power and later Belt of Giant Strength.

Mjolnirbear
2019-03-04, 11:25 PM
Alchemist's pet is weak damagewise, so the best it can do as far as sustained damage is Hand crossbow with Crossbow Expert and Arcane Weapon or any weapon enchant of preference.

Thrown weapon builds can work and have the benefit of shield use, but requires a strength build instead of a dexterity build, meaning MADness or poor AC from armor. They can alternately wait til level 12 for Gauntlets of Ogre Power and later Belt of Giant Strength.

... Unless said thrown weapons are daggers, which have the Finesse property and this can be used with Dexterity.

Although I probably *would* go for a strength build, because thrown strength weapons are more punnilicious. "Hey! I axed you a question!" "Stop! Hammer time!" "it a-spears the miscreant is attempting something dastardly!"

Throne12
2019-03-05, 08:19 AM
What about using booming blade or green flame blade?

Damon_Tor
2019-03-05, 12:31 PM

That build was more for comparing apples to apples: I wanted to compare two builds that could use shields, to show how weak a cantrip blast build is. The javelin compares favorably to the cantrip even if int is 4 points higher than str. However, that doesn't mean the javalin is actually a good build for damage. It's not. And that was kind of the point.

Yes, a crossbow build would be better in terms of damage. Obviously you want Crossbow Expert to ignore loading before level 5 no matter what, so might as well go whole-hog and abuse the handcrossbow bonus action attack. Combined with Arcane Weapon, that's 6d6+3Dex (~27) each round at level 5. A Heavy Crossbow would be 2d10+2d6+2Dex (~24) for comparison. You can also use a shortbow or a longbow if you get the proficiency from your race. This will be your best option at level 5 if you don't want to invest a feat.

Ventruenox
2019-03-05, 03:00 PM
What about using booming blade or green flame blade?

You need to multiclass, Magic Initiate, or get the spell via racial cantrip selection. (Mark of Making human would be ideal) The Boots of the Winding Path infusion at level 4 would great when used with BB.

You can even swap out infusions on a long rest to alter between Mary Poppin Y'all and Yo Yo Rodriguez.