PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations of an off kilter Hexblade

GreyBlack
2019-03-04, 11:19 PM
So I've recently decided to try and renew an old character of mine from a previous edition, a Hexblade from the days of 3.5. However, I'll admit to running into some difficulties, so I figured I'd post it here to get some ideas. Before you get into it: no, this isn't optimized, this is about getting the flavor in from his previous incarnation.

Okay. So. Now that that's out of the way, this guy was a dual wielding Hexblade from the days of yore. After a bit of research, apparently the Hexblade charisma bonus to attack bonus works both on any weapon that I touch/bond to and to the Pact of the Blade weapon; in theory, this means that I can bond to one weapon and still use the Pact of the Blade weapon for dual wielding. How off am I in this interpretation?

Secondly: this build has the potential to be very feat intensive; I think that I'm going to require the Dual Wielder feat, Warcaster, and Magic Initiate feats (magic initiate for my pet weasel; it's a long story). I'm starting as V. Human, so I'm kinda wondering what feat to start with, and then what levels I should grab those other feats?

Snowbluff
2019-03-04, 11:24 PM
Yeah, you can dual wield with cha that way.

I consider Dual Wielder a bit of a trap feat. I guess it has more hypothetical value if your attacking (and AC) stat isn't dex. Non light weapons is like +1 damage.

I do strongly suggest warcaster normally. However, this is usually so I can cast the shield spell. Due to the way warlocks work, your shields compete with your normal spells very strongly, so this is less advised. Resilient Con is probably more generally useful.

I am 100% for getting a pet Familiar. I love familiars. Heck, if feats weren't costly I would 100% always take a familiar.

GreyBlack
2019-03-04, 11:40 PM
Yeah, you can dual wield with cha that way.

I consider Dual Wielder a bit of a trap feat. I guess it has more hypothetical value if your attacking (and AC) stat isn't dex. Non light weapons is like +1 damage.

I do strongly suggest warcaster normally. However, this is usually so I can cast the shield spell. Due to the way warlocks work, your shields compete with your normal spells very strongly, so this is less advised. Resilient Con is probably more generally useful.

I am 100% for getting a pet Familiar. I love familiars. Heck, if feats weren't costly I would 100% always take a familiar.

Another thing to consider, however: Per RAW, I would need to get the TWF fighting style in order to add my Charisma to the second attack. Depending on how bad my DM wants to be about this, I would also consider grabbing some levels in Fighter. Should I look into a 1, 2, or 8 level dip of Fighter doing this, likely looking at Champion for the passive bonuses that don't compete with my action economy?

Snowbluff
2019-03-05, 12:25 AM
Another thing to consider, however: Per RAW, I would need to get the TWF fighting style in order to add my Charisma to the second attack. Depending on how bad my DM wants to be about this, I would also consider grabbing some levels in Fighter. Should I look into a 1, 2, or 8 level dip of Fighter doing this, likely looking at Champion for the passive bonuses that don't compete with my action economy?

2 is probably best. Action Surge is really good. You don't really have the dice to make your build worth a champ dip. IIRC, a eldritch knight dip could teach you Find Familiar, as well as some bonus slots for shield.

Also, I would say no to getting up to 5 fighter. You get extra attack from Warlock already effectively.

Hypothetically you could get 5 fighter for extra attack and play a pact of the chain warlock for your familiar. Not my preferred method.

Galithar
2019-03-05, 12:38 AM
2 is probably best. Action Surge is really good. You don't really have the dice to make your build worth a champ dip. IIRC, a eldritch knight dip could teach you Find Familiar, as well as some bonus slots for shield.

Also, I would say no to getting up to 5 fighter. You get extra attack from Warlock already effectively.

Hypothetically you could get 5 fighter for extra attack and play a pact of the chain warlock for your familiar. Not my preferred method.

5 levels of fighter isn't a waste for a bladelock because it allows you to simply choose another Invocation. Unlike with two full martials that both get extra attack at level 11 you can simply choose to not take the extra attack Invocation and pick up something like At-Will silent image (can't remember the Invocation name off the top of my head)

That said I recommend 2, 6 or 8 fighter levels.

2 cutoff is for action surge
6 cutoff is for extra attack and the level 6 ASI
8 cutoff is for the Subclass feature as level 8 ASI

Edit: you want to go Pact of the Blade regardless for duel wielding and Eldritch Smite which is a great boon for bladelocks.
Also picking up Improved Pact Weapon gives you a powerful ranged Nova (any pact weapon can smite) that also knocks prone. But this would probably interfere with your dual wielding.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-03-05, 12:59 AM
I will take ritual caster wizard over magic initiate.
It can also give you a familiar and it will enable you to use stuff at will(with an extra 10 minutes) like the 3.5e warlock invocations.

GreyBlack
2019-03-05, 01:26 AM
I will take ritual caster wizard over magic initiate.
It can also give you a familiar and it will enable you to use stuff at will(with an extra 10 minutes) like the 3.5e warlock invocations.

Ritual caster has the INT requirement, so it all depends on stat rolls and such. Given that, I'll agree.