PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next [WIP] Mystic Marksman (Arcane Tradition) (Gun Wizard)

TempterOphidian
2019-03-05, 01:08 AM
This subclass uses the optional firearms rules designed by Matthew Mercer for the gunslinger fighter archetype.
(i suck at fluff but i really just want to make a magic gunslinger using mercers gun rules for my homebrew world)

Tools of the trade
When you chose this arcane tradition at level 2 you have become familiar with employing its tools.
Proficiency: You gain proficiency with all firearms and tinker's tools.
Crafting: If you craft a magical item in the scroll category, it takes you a quarter of the normal time, and it costs you half as much of the usual gold.
^^^The above ability was inspired by the new revised artificer UA. ^^^

Smart Shots
Starting at level 2 any firearm you use counts as an arcane focus for wizard spells you cast. Additionally, any damage roll you make for a cantrip, that uses your firearm as an arcane focus and requires an attack roll, gains a bonus to that damage equal to your proficiency bonus.

Magic Munitions
Starting at 6th level your firearms are considered magical for the purposes of overcoming damage resistance. Additionally, once per turn, when you use a firearm to cast a spell of 1st level or higher you may expend an additional spell slot of 5th level or lower to use one of the following effects.
Long shot: You gain a bonus to the range of a spell equal to 10 feet x the level of the spell expended.
Precision: You gain a bonus to the attack roll of a spell equal to 1+ the level of spell that was expended.
Aftermath: If the spell you cast deals damage to one or more targets you can chose one of the targets of the spell and all creatures within 5ft of the target must make a Dexterity save (spell save DC) or take 1d6 damage, plus an additional 1d6 damage per level of the spell slot expended. All damage done by this ability match the damage type of the spell it was used on, if the spell has more than one damage type chose one.

Practice makes Precision
Your knowledge of firearms aids you when attempting aim and fire.
Once you reach level 10 you may use your bonus action to give yourself advantage on spell attack rolls until the end of your turn. You can use this ability a number of times equal to your intelligence modifier.

Deadly Spells
Starting at level 14 any damage roll you make for a spell of 5th level or lower, that uses your firearm as an arcane focus, gains a bonus to the damage equal to your intelligence modifier.

JNAProductions
2019-03-05, 10:28 PM
Why do scrolls get crafted faster by a gun wizard?

Magic Munitions probably comes too early. Clerics, for instance, don't get Wis Mod to spells until level 8. Not inherently broken or anything, though.

Long Shot might be borked, Aftermath is almost certainly fine, but Precision is BUSTED. Exchange a 1st level slot for +2 to Save DC? Holy crap, that is INSANE.
For reference, at the level you get it, you're usually rocking a save DC of 15. Hold Person, with Precision from a 2nd level slot, hits DC 19-someone with a -1 to Wisdom saves only succeeds on a nat 20. If you REALLY need them shut down? Use a 3rd level slot, and they need a +1 bonus to have ANY CHANCE of succeeding.

You shouldn't just break bounded accuracy willy-nilly. It's unlikely to cause issues, given that it's a 10th level Wizard feature on a subclass that doesn't gain extra attack, but still.

Edit: Friend also pointed out that Long Shot should scale in some way with level as well.

TempterOphidian
2019-03-06, 12:42 AM
First off, i edited the subclass.
Second, thank you for actually providing useful feedback. (I've been trying to figure this out for like a week now.)

Why do scrolls get crafted faster by a gun wizard?

Part of my homebrew world has magical gunsmiths that can craft spells into bullets, called a "Spell Shot", the same ways as a wizard transcribes spells to scrolls but switch a quill, paper, and fine inks with an engravers tools, bullets, and finely ground gemstone.
So statistically if a player would make a Spell Shot it would be the same (almost) as making a scroll.
Also then i can reward players with 1 shot magic bullets.

Edit: Friend also pointed out that Long Shot should scale in some way with level as well.

does your friend or you have a way i could implement something along those lines?
i am always open to suggestions.

JNAProductions
2019-03-06, 01:09 AM
Precision is still borked.

A little less so, but think about it this way.

The BBEG is an 11th level Wizard of this Arcane Tradition and 20 Int. He casts Hold Person from a 5th level slot, targeting all 4 players. Normally, the DC is 17-manageable for some of them, hard for others, but everyone CAN succeed and some people probably will.

Add Precision, from a 6th level slot. It's now DC 24. If the party is the standard Wizard, Rogue, Cleric, and Fighter, with Wisdom scores of 12 on everyone but the Cleric, and if they're level, say, 8, you're looking at the following odds of succeeding on the save:

Cleric: 25% chance
Wizard: 5% chance (Nat 20s only)
Fighter: Can't succeed
Rogue: Can't succeed

Do NOT touch saving throw DC-at least, don't make it higher.

TempterOphidian
2019-03-06, 01:48 AM
Edited again.