PDA

View Full Version : booming blade monk..

animewatcha
2019-03-05, 03:58 AM
So I've seen thread on back and forth booming blade with unarmed strike. So let's use an actual weapon.

Can a warlock 1/ monk x. Do booming blade for the main 'attack/spell', make the quarterstaff do the attack ( to satisfy the spell ), then followup with the unarmed strike(s) bonus action through martial arts?

LudicSavant
2019-03-05, 04:34 AM
So I've seen thread on back and forth booming blade with unarmed strike. So let's use an actual weapon.

Can a warlock 1/ monk x. Do booming blade for the main 'attack/spell', make the quarterstaff do the attack ( to satisfy the spell ), then followup with the unarmed strike(s) bonus action through martial arts?

Doesn't work. Booming Blade is not the Attack action, and therefore cannot trigger Flurry.

Crucius
2019-03-05, 04:39 AM
Sadly you cannot. The action you would take is 'cast booming blade' not the attack action. Therefore the martial arts (nor the flurry of blows) condition isn't met and will not trigger.

Unless your DM rules otherwise of course.

*edit: what ludivsavant said. I should refresh my pages more often.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-03-05, 07:45 AM
As noted, it doesn't work because Martial Arts and Flurry both trigger off the Attack action, and Booming Blade is the Cast a Spell action. But regardless, Monk isn't your best Booming Blade vehicle-- that's the Rogue.

Snowbluff
2019-03-05, 10:47 AM
I will say that if you happen to have haste and the booming blade spell, you could booming blade with your action, and then use thew haste action for attack, which would trigger flurry/martial arts.

Aéquitas
2019-03-05, 11:02 AM
I plan to use booming blade on my monk but that is for a drunken monk/ lore bard multiclass character.

I will only take 5 monk levels initially and thus will only have 5 Ki points.
My plan is to alternate my monk fighting rounds with Booming Blade + offhealing rounds.

Full out dmg round: Monk attacks
Control round: Booming blade + bonus action healing word (max lvl 2 but still)
This should make sure that I make it through an encounter without feeling totally useless half the fight.

With the drunken master being so mobile without provoking attacks of opportunity I can see booming blade being quite nice. Got the cantrip through variant half elf rules (half moon elf)

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-05, 11:31 AM
I plan to use booming blade on my monk but that is for a drunken monk/ lore bard multiclass character.

I will only take 5 monk levels initially and thus will only have 5 Ki points.
My plan is to alternate my monk fighting rounds with Booming Blade + offhealing rounds.

Full out dmg round: Monk attacks
Control round: Booming blade + bonus action healing word (max lvl 2 but still)
This should make sure that I make it through an encounter without feeling totally useless half the fight.

With the drunken master being so mobile without provoking attacks of opportunity I can see booming blade being quite nice. Got the cantrip through variant half elf rules (half moon elf)

A similar (easier?) method might just be to combine Swashbuckler with Warlock.

MrStabby
2019-03-05, 12:43 PM
I found booming blade was actually pretty good on a shadowmonk. You are going to use your bonus action for shadowstep most of the time so no flurry is less of an issue. Your extra mobility makes booming blade even better as melee enemies then HAVE to move or skip their turn. Advantage on one big attack is better than on the first of two small ones.

stoutstien
2019-03-05, 01:06 PM
I found booming blade was actually pretty good on a shadowmonk. You are going to use your bonus action for shadowstep most of the time so no flurry is less of an issue. Your extra mobility makes booming blade even better as melee enemies then HAVE to move or skip their turn. Advantage on one big attack is better than on the first of two small ones.
Stealthy thunder I like it.

Aéquitas
2019-03-05, 04:23 PM
A similar (easier?) method might just be to combine Swashbuckler with Warlock.

And then I won’t be a drunken singing inspiring Monk. You know? Like uhmm the character I want to play 
I took booming blade as a cherry on top after making the character. It isn’t the main focus.

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-05, 04:26 PM
And then I won’t be a drunken singing inspiring Monk. You know? Like uhmm the character I want to play 
I took booming blade as a cherry on top after making the character. It isn’t the main focus.

Sure, it was mostly a suggestion to anyone else who liked the idea. There's a lot of issues going against a Monk using Booming Blade, so someone might get the wrong idea thinking that there's synergy there. There IS a lot of synergy with a Swashbuckler using Booming Blade, and it plays relatively similar (uses Dex, can use Bonus Action attacks, very mobile, very charismatic, high melee damage).

BarneyBent
2019-03-05, 10:32 PM
It doesn’t work with your extra unarmed attacks but that’s ok - when you use Booking Blade, generally you’ll be using your bonus action to disengage anyway to get the most use out of it. If you were to use that as an occasional tool up your sleeve then it would be pretty decent.

If you’re planning on building a character around BB, go for a High Elf/Half Elf Swashbuckler Rogue, a Sorcadin spamming quickened Booming Blades, or an Arcana Cleric abusing BB and Spirit Guardians to rob enemies of good movement options.

Aéquitas
2019-03-06, 07:59 AM
Sure, it was mostly a suggestion to anyone else who liked the idea. There's a lot of issues going against a Monk using Booming Blade, so someone might get the wrong idea thinking that there's synergy there. There IS a lot of synergy with a Swashbuckler using Booming Blade, and it plays relatively similar (uses Dex, can use Bonus Action attacks, very mobile, very charismatic, high melee damage).

Very true. Got ya!

TheFryingPen
2019-03-06, 08:04 AM
You could get a caster to haste you, then you can BB, haste action attack, bonus action unarmed / flurry. If you go drunken master the flurry would then provide a disengage you could use to make the target move (in case it's a melee opponent with nothing else in range).