PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Lycanthrope PC Question

GrayDeath
2019-03-05, 06:29 AM
So, after a long absence, I once again (having regained reliable Internet access) ask the Playground for Help.

In a recent Adventure, one of our Players trigered a Curse that will make him a natural Lycanthrope of the Being most befitting his psyche within the enxt full Lunar Cycle.

The Player has decided to not look for a way to get rid of it, or switch Characters.

BUT: Aside from NPC`s Lycanthropy sucks balls. So we decided that he would gain access to any one Animal with the increased LA and HD gestalting with his own (but adding extra HP and Skillpoints halfed, as well as the Animals Abilities), whereby surplus HD/LA would transform into real LA/HD.

At the Moment he is a Lawful neutral Human Level 7 Oathwarden (a Homebrew CLass, you could say an Initiating Go on a purely Law Aligned Paladin).

So, given it has to be a Lawful Animal, and ideally make good use of his semigestalting, what would you guys suggest, and why?

All Books but Dragon magazine are allowed, Drag mag may be allowed if it can still be found easily.
The Setting does not have any free interplanar Access, and truly exotic races hence dont exist while outsiders are limited to lawfuls. Other than that, go wild!

Thanks in advance!

Uncle Pine
2019-03-05, 08:13 AM
Savage progression (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040117a) is yet another way you could address scaling lycanthropy, in case you're interested.

As far as "Lawful" animals go, my gut instinct is to look for highly social species, based on the same reasoning that formians are Lawful. There are various degrees of sociality in the animal kingdom, but the highest one is called eusociality - in other words, this is the level ants and bees are at. However, since eusociality has mainly evolved in insects, unless you and the player are ok with vermin lycanthropes (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20040621a) you're stuck with naked mole rats and some crustaceans like pistol shrimps. Actually, scratch shrimps because crustaceans in d&d are vermins.
I don't think there are stats for a naked mole rat large enough to serve as a base for a lycanthrope (although you could definitely use any digging animal with blindsense or blindsight), but monstrous crabs refluffed as a pistol shrimps could work well with the entomanothrope template linked above. They're in Stormwrack (the Large version is also online (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040221a)).

awa
2019-03-05, 08:22 AM
remember its not about what the animal actually does wolves are not evil bears are not good and yet there you go.

GrayDeath
2019-03-05, 08:49 AM
remember its not about what the animal actually does wolves are not evil bears are not good and yet there you go.

THat. I meant the "Becomes this alignment" part of the Lycanthropes of course, not the actual Alignment of the natural Animal. ;)

Vizzerdrix
2019-03-05, 12:36 PM

Along these lines, rats show sympathy and get distressed when they see other rats suffering. They are also ticklish and laugh, but at too high of a pitch for us to hear.

As for lawful, what about a service breed of dog? A st Bernard or huskie?

Bronk
2019-03-05, 04:19 PM
Lawful... Legal Eagle...

I’d suggest either an Eagle (to save on RHD) or a Dire Eagle (5HD, from Races of Stone).

Luccan
2019-03-05, 04:43 PM
Well, the animal has to be Small, Medium, or Large. Also an omnivore, predator, or scavenger... Spotted Hyena? They're actually pretty social animals, which I think makes sense for a Lawful creature. However, in popular perception (which most of the Lycanthrope alignments are based on), I don't think they're seen as particularly organized and might have more than a slight reputation as evil. Lions?

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-03-05, 06:17 PM
If you want less sucky lycanthropy, give him a slightly modified version of the Mulhorandi divine minion template (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050209a) for whatever animal you choose, and a level in shapeshifting druid (from the PHB II) for a hybrid form (and perhaps a slightly modified spell list, for lunar-related spells), and there you go.

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-03-05, 11:27 PM
For lawful neutral? I'd say crocodile, drawing on the connection between lawful and the patience they display waiting for their prey. Plus it gives a swim speed, which is cool but not by any means overpowered.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-03-05, 11:36 PM
Given that wolves live in a complex social structure and have a very clear pecking order within that structure (with clear rules on who is in charge), I'd think that they would be far more lawful than not.

Of course, it's rule of the strongest, but they're animals. It's how all pack predators tend to behave. Except river otters. I don't think they have much of a social status, aside from "fun fun fun! let's have fun!" all the time.

Vizzerdrix
2019-03-05, 11:50 PM
Given that wolves live in a complex social structure and have a very clear pecking order within that structure (with clear rules on who is in charge), I'd think that they would be far more lawful than not.

Of course, it's rule of the strongest, but they're animals. It's how all pack predators tend to behave. Except river otters. I don't think they have much of a social status, aside from "fun fun fun! let's have fun!" all the time.

River otters are family based. Same with beavers. I could see beavers being lawful.

Luccan
2019-03-06, 02:05 AM
River otters are family based. Same with beavers. I could see beavers being lawful.

Do beavers eat meat? That's basically the requirement for being a lycanthrope animal (although if the table is willing to be more lenient on that, it certainly opens up more options).

Falontani
2019-03-06, 12:12 PM
Do beavers eat meat? That's basically the requirement for being a lycanthrope animal (although if the table is willing to be more lenient on that, it certainly opens up more options).

According to Disney's Zootopia, yes, they do in fact eat meat.

I will throw my hat in four Weredog (using the riding dog as a base)

Telonius
2019-03-06, 12:38 PM
Dog or Eagle both sound good to me. Another option would be a snake or an owl (animals related to prophecy, which has an uncaring-Law vibe).

Vizzerdrix
2019-03-06, 03:14 PM

Almost any animal will eat meat if it can get it. I`ve seen footage of cows gobbling down chicks, and have seen squirrels and deer gnaw bones.

Also, weresheep is a thing. So why not werebeavers? I picture them as being rather polite, and very Canadian.

Telonius
2019-03-06, 04:00 PM
Bears also strike me as kind of Paladin-y.

https://images-nitrosell-com.akamaized.net/product_images/1/162/large-388401%20smokey_only_you_pin.jpg

If you go with Were-dog, he needs to come equipped with a trench coat.

https://brushbeauty.com/brush-beauty-makeup-hair-artistry/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/mcgruff-Brush-Beauty-Makeup-Artist.jpg

Vizzerdrix
2019-03-07, 07:39 PM
Bears also strike me as kind of Paladin-y.

Bears are wicked beasts. Generations of woodsmen and farmer stories... Simply vile beasts. Should have been lawful evil.

Luccan
2019-03-07, 08:31 PM
Bears are wicked beasts. Generations of woodsmen and farmer stories... Simply vile beasts. Should have been lawful evil.

Beorn. Beorn is the reason werebears are lawful good.

GrayDeath
2019-03-08, 08:26 AM
Well, did not seem much alternatives to the "No brainer" of Werebear so far, except the Utilitywise superior Eagle route.

Again, not looking for philosophical discussion about what animal would be what alignment, but which type of Lycanthrope would work best (limited to Lawful due to the Class).

So if you ahve more, keep it coming.

Bronk
2019-03-08, 10:50 AM
Well, did not seem much alternatives to the "No brainer" of Werebear so far, except the Utilitywise superior Eagle route.

Again, not looking for philosophical discussion about what animal would be what alignment, but which type of Lycanthrope would work best (limited to Lawful due to the Class).

I don't know if you checked out the link for entomanothropy Uncle Pine provided above, but all were-bugs keep their original alignment, and would technically work.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-03-08, 11:21 AM
I still prefer LA+1 for divine minion and a single level of shapeshifting druid. All the classical benefits of going full lycanthrope* without the racial HD, horrendous LA, or all the awful downsides.

Never go full lycanthrope.

Vizzerdrix
2019-03-08, 11:25 AM
I still prefer LA+1 for divine minion and a single level of shapeshifting druid. All the classical benefits of going full lycanthrope* without the racial HD, horrendous LA, or all the awful downsides.

I dunno man. Weresheep has some tasty abilities. :smallyuk:

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-03-08, 11:36 AM
I dunno man. Weresheep has some tasty abilities. :smallyuk:Yeah, they've got some real chops going.

Mutton chops, that is.

Mmmm...mutton...

GrayDeath
2019-03-11, 03:16 PM

Obviously.

However, as stated in the OP, the situation is a Curse of Lycantropy. Not a Player wanting a Single Form Shapeshifting whatsnot. ^^

Luccan
2019-03-11, 06:35 PM

Now I'm confused. Are you asking for premade lycanthropes that work best? If so, the only one I know of is Werebear. If you're just looking for animal suggestions, there's no default required alignment for any but the premade (werewolves, tigers, bears, boars, rats, a couple others in different books, I think) and even then, I would think many DMs might allow some leniency if they're letting you pick a compatible lycanthrope already.

If not, could you clarify? If you want an animal that fits "lawful" we have to argue "philosophically", so to speak, because animals in D&D are all true neutral. If you want a premade lycanthrope, I think Werebear is the only one.

What do you mean by "type" of lycanthrope might be the better way to put it?

GrayDeath
2019-03-12, 06:40 AM
OK, to clarify:

1st: Existing Lycanthropes (there must be many I dont know, never had much of an interest in them) that fit the bill.

nd: Other Lycanthropy Legal Animals that ideally have precedents with Hybrid forms and/or other stuff that fit.

and lastly "Normal" Animals that might or might not fit.

So yeah, all of them, but in declining preference. ^^

Bronk
2019-03-12, 07:11 AM
OK, to clarify:

1st: Existing Lycanthropes (there must be many I dont know, never had much of an interest in them) that fit the bill.

nd: Other Lycanthropy Legal Animals that ideally have precedents with Hybrid forms and/or other stuff that fit.

and lastly "Normal" Animals that might or might not fit.

So yeah, all of them, but in declining preference. ^^

As far as I know, the preexisting fully statted out lycanthropes consist of A: the ones in the SRD, B: Lythari from MoF, C: Werecrocodiles, Weresharks, Werebats, and Werecats from LEoF, D: Wereserpents from Serpent Kingdoms, and E: a partial from Dragon Magazine, the Weresheep (mentioned but not actually statted).

All other animals (and giant vermin) do have a precedent... the rules for applying the template to them are right in the rules for lycanthropy and entomanothropy.

Luccan
2019-03-12, 11:10 AM
As far as I know, the preexisting fully statted out lycanthropes consist of A: the ones in the SRD, B: Lythari from MoF, C: Werecrocodiles, Weresharks, Werebats, and Werecats from LEoF, D: Wereserpents from Serpent Kingdoms, and E: a partial from Dragon Magazine, the Weresheep (mentioned but not actually statted).

All other animals (and giant vermin) do have a precedent... the rules for applying the template to them are right in the rules for lycanthropy and entomanothropy.

If the weresheep counts, then werehorses from Oriental Adventures. Also not statted, but stated to be an appropriate monster for OA games. Those might be the only legal lycanthropes that don't eat meat.

So, yeah, based on that list Werebears are the only preexisting Lawful Lycanthrope. They're specifically LG, so if your DM is gonna hold the player to that and it messes with their class, then I would see about picking your own animal and arguing its LN status. And if you go into the SRD (or Monster Manual), it has rules for making new lycanthropes based on any omnivore, predator, or scavenger in the game.