PDA

View Full Version : Building a Zora

Tokuhara
2019-03-05, 08:51 AM
So first of all, I know this is suboptimal and kinda garbage, but the concept occurred and I felt like building it in an upcoming game. So question is how do I nake this work. As a note, I'll be walking in level 5 with the following:

Triton Warlock (Great Old One/Tome) 3/ Sorcerer (Storm) 2
Sailor Background

Plan is to finish as a straight Sorcerer. The flavor is essentially a Zora (like LoZ) navigator/sea guide. He wound up on a ship that after being assaulted by pirates was capsized and destroyed with me as the lone survivor. My Patron spared me and washed me up on a beach, and the combined trauma of seeing my Patron (Lovecraft Jabu Jabu) and being in a shipwreck awakened my sorcerous blood and sealed my pact.

So how do I shape this to be both mechanically strong while keeping to theme?

WeaselGuy
2019-03-05, 03:31 PM
Well, while I have not played a GOO/Tomelock, nor a Storm Sorcerer before, I can tell you that Sorlock is definitely a thing, and there are numerous guides that should be able to give you some insight into the mechanics and combos behind those. With regards to flavor, I'd focus on using water and ice spells, as much as possible, and maybe even some wind spells too, to reinforce that "ship's mage" type feel. Look up Robilard, from the Forgotten Realms, I think he was one of the more iconic ones. A good Lightning Bolt might not be out of place, even if it is sub-par compared to Fireball.

Tokuhara
2019-03-06, 06:07 AM
Also had the idea of grabbing Hex as a nod to seafarer superstitions, but definitely a heavy leaning onto Lightning, Cold, and Thunder spells with trying to nab the odd wind manipulation spell. Granted, I'm 110% wasting a cantrip slot on Shape Water (my thought was its utility as a sailor, such as adding oomph to our stern or a rapid way to bail a sloop) and going to try and nab Control Water (same logic). Plus, I already have Gust as a Triton.

I'm also consigning myself to being a damage caster first, controller second (my spells known are going to be tight, so I have to focus on what is most efficient per slot) with my main damage tools likely being Eldritch Blast, Lightning Bolt, and others in that vein.

I am also planning on having a melee weapon purely as a panic button (the iklwa (?) because it is decent and can be reskinned as a short fishing spear) and might have light armor (depends on if I'm going Warlock or Sorcerer as my first class) and 100% taking Warcaster at 4th over an ASI.

Am I missing anything important that I should adjust or turn my focus to?