PDA

View Full Version : 2 copies of attuned magic weapons

PancakeMaster80
2019-03-05, 12:05 PM
Just double checking that you cannot attune 2 copies of the same magic weapon.

Crgaston
2019-03-05, 12:15 PM
The effects wouldn't stack, but you could use one for backup without having to undertake the attunement process again.

Which items are you talking about?

PancakeMaster80
2019-03-05, 12:19 PM
The effects wouldn't stack, but you could use one for backup without having to undertake the attunement process again.

Which items are you talking about?

Flametongue weapons and staves of power.

Crgaston
2019-03-05, 12:24 PM
The Flametongues are no problem. Dual wield like a boss.

With staves of Power, you wouldn't get the +2 to AC, Saves and Spell DC more than once. IIRC.

Angelalex242
2019-03-05, 12:26 PM
I always thought it'd be more fun to dual wield a flametongue with an ice brand.

PancakeMaster80
2019-03-05, 12:32 PM

With staves of Power, you wouldn't get the +2 to AC, Saves and Spell DC more than once. IIRC.

Is there a good way to distinguish the eligibility to use 2 from an item's description?

PancakeMaster80
2019-03-05, 12:33 PM
I always thought it'd be more fun to dual wield a flametongue with an ice brand.

It's definitely a cool visual, although I prefer the extra d6 flametongue provides.

Millstone85
2019-03-05, 12:33 PM
Just double checking that you cannot attune 2 copies of the same magic weapon.
You can use two separate attunement slots to attune two separate copies of a magic item, unless the contrary is said in the item's description.Nope, you actually can't.

An item can be attuned to only one creature at a time and a creature can be attuned to no more than three magic items at a time. Any attempt to attune to a fourth item fails; the creature must end its attunement to an item first. Additionally, a creature can't attune to more than one copy of an item. For example, a creature can't attune to more than one ring of protection at a time.

Crgaston
2019-03-05, 12:36 PM
Nope, you actually can't.

Makes sense for the ring, but it is a bit sad you can't dual wield flame-tongue shortswords.

Oh well dang then... I was thinking of this part from The DMG...

page 252, Combining Game Effects:

Different game features can affect a target at the same time. But when two or more game features have the same name, only the effects of one of them—the most potent one apply while the durations of the effects overlap. For example, if a target is ignited by a fire elemental’s Fire Form trait, the ongoing fire damage doesn’t increase if the burning target is subjected to that trait again. Game features include spells, class features, feats, racial traits, monster abilities, and magic items. See the related rule in the “Combining Magical Effects” section of chapter 10 in the Player’s Handbook.

...but your citation is more specific.

PancakeMaster80
2019-03-05, 12:37 PM

Could you dual wield 2 flame-tongue weapons of different types? I.E. 1 flame-tongue rapier and 1 flame-tongue short-sword?

Unoriginal
2019-03-05, 12:44 PM

Uh, I misremembered, then. I'll edit my answer out.

bc56
2019-03-05, 12:52 PM
Could you dual wield 2 flame-tongue weapons of different types? I.E. 1 flame-tongue rapier and 1 flame-tongue short-sword?

I don't think so. Because the magic item type is "flame tongue," the actual weapon it is is unimportant.