PDA

View Full Version : Computer Spoilers: SWTOR, KoTET aftermath. Convince my LS Warrior to join the Republic

MonkeySage
2019-03-05, 02:26 PM
My character is a fully light side sith warrior- I wouldn't even properly call him "sith" at this point.

Since I started this character, I went in thinking "If I'm given the opportunity to switch factions and join the Republic, Imma take it." Problem now is that, having gone through the KoTET storyline so far, and almost to the point of getting the Peacekeeper ending, the Republic has done nothing to endear themselves. They refused to help the Alliance in anyway, and meanwhile the Sith have played nothing but nice. The Empress even seems receptive to my Warrior's calls for mercy and change.

I feel like if I betrayed the Empire after everything they've done, it would be a pretty crappy thing to do.

So, what I'm asking of ya'll is to play Republic's Advocate, and convince my light side warrior to join the Republic, to turn his back on the Empire. :)

Kish
2019-03-05, 03:05 PM
The writers chose to present the Empire as a state which essentially embraces fascist ideology and the Republic as a state which pays lip service to noble ideals but is riddled with corruption to the point of being effectively just as evil as the Empire.

My actual advice is to stop playing at the end of Knights of the Eternal Throne. The game's story will never top "you defeated a god of evil and you are the greatest power in the galaxy," and the handwaves they use to cut you back down to size and make the game once again about you serving the Empire or the Republic as they square off against each other for eternity are really insultingly bad writing. KotFE and KotET are effectively KotOR 3; when you've finished it, it's time to start a new character or play a different game.

But if you want to keep playing and actively want to help the Republic for meta-reasons, then three things.

One, Empress Acina's entire attitude toward you has been self-servingly manipulative. This doesn't make the Republic any better, but it does mean you should feel no guilt about turning against her; she wouldn't hesitate to stab you in the back if it led to more power for her. That you feel guilt means only that they wrote her as a well-written manipulator rather than having her cackle and chew the scenery.

Two, if you do turn against her, Vowrawn will become Emperor, and while he's probably just as ruthless and treacherous as she is, he's actually shown some degree of concern for his apprentices (asking you to spare their lives when he thought you were going to kill him) and for you.

Three, as a Sith Warrior, you have an opportunity no other class gets: If you side with the Republic on Iokath, you can recruit Elara Dorne and still get Malavai Quinn back.

MonkeySage
2019-03-06, 09:56 AM
I've so far enjoyed this character enough I kinda feel like replaying his story, from beginning to end.

It's a shame the story ends as you've pointed out, with poor writing and all. Almost reminds me of those horrible flashpoints leading up to Shadow of Revan. The ones that felt completely out of character for this guy. XD

Spore
2019-03-08, 02:56 AM
Even a Light Side Sith Warrior is an entirely different beast than a DS Jedi Knight. Dare I say, the LS Jedi is worse in some regards.

And the Republic is so damn ineffective at plainly everything. Where the Empire makes things actively worse, the Republic worsens stuff by staying passive.

MonkeySage
2019-03-08, 11:59 AM
Empire or republic is basically a choice between a lesser of two evils...

Still, my character has nothing against the Jedi themselves- he has a lot in common with them, and would defend them if it came down to it.

Dragonus45
2019-03-20, 10:51 PM
The thing about the republic is that it’s a democracy and ultimately it has more power to reform itself and change itself for the better as time goes on then the sith ever would. The sith are a poisoned seed.

Mechalich
2019-03-20, 11:56 PM
Is your character human, Sith, or something else? Because that matters. If your character is not a Sith or a Human, there's your justification for joining the Republic right there: the Empire is a bunch of species supremacists and nothing you've done so far has really changed that and you'd like to move ahead with a government that's not sporting all that baggage.

Also, did your character free Vette from her shock collar (I'm assuming the answer is yes, being LS and all, but a no is possible)? If so, you probably have some serious qualms about slavery. The Republic shares those. The Empire does not. Acina is significantly less corrupt than her predecessor(s), but that's not exactly a high bar to clear and she's still very much a brutal militaristic dictator.

On a more general level, if you took a poll of all the various characters who joined the Alliance at some point the number of them who would strenuously object to working for the Republic is tiny, even Darth Hexid - an actual high ranking Sith - won't mind so long as you let her kill things, while the number would who positively hate working for the Empire is quite high. So there's that.