PDA

View Full Version : A Great Idea?

username1
2019-03-05, 04:24 PM
For a while I have been mulling around an idea for a great product for the RPG community. I have been doing research into how to create such an idea, but still haven’t made much progress. But first here is the idea:

I got into miniature painting about 6 months ago, and have been really enjoying it. I have been reading a lot about how to become better at mini painting, and one of the top tips is look at other peoples paint jobs before painting a mini. This way you get an idea of how you will paint it. However I can rarely find more than two photos, most just having the official picture printed on the package. Even for the more popular Wizkids and Reaper minis I can’t find many pictures, and if I do they are in the most obscure places. So here is a solution I came up with; a website where anyone can post pics of their finished minis for others to see. You could go to the sight at search the mini your painting, and find countless other paint jobs. The site could be free to use, encouraging everyone to post photos.

What do you guys think of this idea? Would this be cool to see? I have started to look for a way to make this, but without much success. Does anyone have any ideas or skills to make such a site? I know a system like the troves could work(the free rpg pdf site) because it’s a database that can be searchable. Does anyone know how that way made?

Thanks for reading this post!

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-05, 04:37 PM
For a while I have been mulling around an idea for a great product for the RPG community. I have been doing research into how to create such an idea, but still haven’t made much progress. But first here is the idea:

I got into miniature painting about 6 months ago, and have been really enjoying it. I have been reading a lot about how to become better at mini painting, and one of the top tips is look at other peoples paint jobs before painting a mini. This way you get an idea of how you will paint it. However I can rarely find more than two photos, most just having the official picture printed on the package. Even for the more popular Wizkids and Reaper minis I can’t find many pictures, and if I do they are in the most obscure places. So here is a solution I came up with; a website where anyone can post pics of their finished minis for others to see. You could go to the sight at search the mini your painting, and find countless other paint jobs. The site could be free to use, encouraging everyone to post photos.

What do you guys think of this idea? Would this be cool to see? I have started to look for a way to make this, but without much success. Does anyone have any ideas or skills to make such a site? I know a system like the troves could work(the free rpg pdf site) because it’s a database that can be searchable. Does anyone know how that way made?

Thanks for reading this post!

Do you want orc pron?

Because this is how you get orc pron!

Honestly, just make sure you have a few curators to make sure everything is tasteful and well sorted, and I'd see it do well enough.

JNAProductions
2019-03-05, 11:48 PM
Check out the Dakka Dakka Gallery (https://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/). It's got TONS of painted minis-largely Warhammer stuff, but I bet there's Reaper minis in there somewhere.

hotflungwok
2019-03-06, 12:56 PM
Sounds like www.coolminiornot.com/ (http://www.coolminiornot.com/)