PDA

View Full Version : Resurrection, Without a spell?

SMac8988
2019-03-05, 05:36 PM
Hello everyone. I have a session tonight for our weekly streamed game, shameless self promotion, and did not get nearly enough time to plan as I would have liked.

Last week one of my PCs got killed during a random side mission by a one shot villian. Which he and I are both ok with but the party is rather attached in character and wants to try and bring him back. I'm all about letting them try for anything and they are reaching a major city. The land their in, is pretty anti religion, so I was thinking of a ritual that is more magic than godly and have the party have to go for some ingredients for it.

Is this something anyone has ever done before and what would anyone suggest as ingredients?

Thank you for the help!!!

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-05, 06:32 PM
Hello everyone. I have a session tonight for our weekly streamed game, shameless self promotion, and did not get nearly enough time to plan as I would have liked.

Last week one of my PCs got killed during a random side mission by a one shot villian. Which he and I are both ok with but the party is rather attached in character and wants to try and bring him back. I'm all about letting them try for anything and they are reaching a major city. The land their in, is pretty anti religion, so I was thinking of a ritual that is more magic than godly and have the party have to go for some ingredients for it.

Is this something anyone has ever done before and what would anyone suggest as ingredients?

Thank you for the help!!!

All Resurrection magic comes from the Necromancy school of magic. You could have some Necromancers that are focused around the study of life magic rather than the abuse of it, and have even been given the blessing of a few deities to resurrect people on their behalf.

Alternatively, Druids have access to some Resurrection magic, like Reincarnate.

Maybe a Wizard has studied enough magic to "theoretically" cast a Resurrection spell, but it requires several spell scrolls for the ritual, for things like Life Transference, Legend Lore, Animate Dead, Locate Creature, Planar Binding, and anything else you can think of. Once he has the spells together, you need the blood of a divine creature, like a Deva. Luckily, there's a bastard rival who has a sick menagerie to show off his power, and has a few creatures that would suffice.

Sigreid
2019-03-05, 06:34 PM
Well, there are quite a few myths about cauldrons that raise a person from the dead if their body is placed within.

Edit: Oh, and there's always Wish.

Naanomi
2019-03-05, 06:44 PM
Transmuter wizards can ressurect with their philosophers stone... Celestial Pact warlocks also with the power of a unicorn or the like... new UA artificer/alchemists as well

SMac8988
2019-03-05, 07:03 PM
All Resurrection magic comes from the Necromancy school of magic. You could have some Necromancers that are focused around the study of life magic rather than the abuse of it, and have even been given the blessing of a few deities to resurrect people on their behalf.

Alternatively, Druids have access to some Resurrection magic, like Reincarnate.

Maybe a Wizard has studied enough magic to "theoretically" cast a Resurrection spell, but it requires several spell scrolls for the ritual, for things like Life Transference, Legend Lore, Animate Dead, Locate Creature, Planar Binding, and anything else you can think of. Once he has the spells together, you need the blood of a divine creature, like a Deva. Luckily, there's a bastard rival who has a sick menagerie to show off his power, and has a few creatures that would suffice.

I absolutely love the idea of a pair of rival wizards and one offers to do it strictly to spite the other. And everything they are sent to collect if from this other wizards collections.

Like gathering spell scrolls from his library, getting components from his shop, and the blood that flows through his creations veins. Then after the entire process when they begin wondering the town the other wizard approaches the adventures to locate a group of ruffians that has been ransacking his things.

I love this!

Thank you!!!

Chronos
2019-03-05, 07:13 PM
Put some NPCs in the city who can do mechanically the same things that clerics can, but refluff them as being nonreligious. Maybe they're alchemists like Miracle Max who make golf-ball sized pills you can shove down the guy's throat (the chocolate coating helps it go down more easily). Even if the people don't like gods, for whatever reason, they'll still like people who can fix up their wounds.