PDA

View Full Version : Creating New Spells

continuumc
2007-09-28, 02:54 PM
First, I'd like to ask for everyone's forgiveness if this has come up very often before. I did search for a topic on this, but was unable to unearth anything.

With that out of the way, on to the real topic at hand. In the new campaign that i'll be starting soon for myself and a friend, my character will seek to create many useful new spells; so that he can keep "one step ahead" of the law. Anyway, what are the rules or guidelines (or where can I find them) on creating new spells? I know that i've seen some somewhere..but I cannot for the life of me figure out where. If you'd like, you can either just explain the basics of creating level appropriate spells or, if you'd rather, just direct me to where I need to look.

After i've figured out how to manage that, i'd like to post into this topic the spells that he plans on creating for y'all to critique and give comments on.

Fax Celestis
2007-09-28, 02:57 PM
This might be a good place to start.

squishycube
2007-09-28, 03:00 PM
I hope you have things you are better at than searching forums, for it did come up :smallsmile:. Very recently in fact this very question was asked in the Simple Q&A Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55714).
The answer was (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3260797&postcount=410):
There are hardly any rules for researching new spells. The only real rule presented on DMG page 198 is about how much it costs and how long it takes to research spells. Everything else is left up to the DM.

The Q&A thread is very useful for little questions like this which may not seem worth a thread.

PS I don't mean to offend you with the first remark, I just thought it was funny. All in good fun et all. Forums can sometimes make your words come out wrong.

EDIT:
Creating new material is hard, but there are a lot of things being made all the time in the homebrew section, where Fax kindly pointed you. Judging the balance of something is a skill you will acquire over time. Be prepared to get it wrong, badly. Also be prepared to remove things if they turn out weak or overpowered.

continuumc
2007-09-28, 04:20 PM
oo, I think I know what I did. I think I search the gaming thread and not homebrew. Silly me..that would explain why I didn't find anything. And thanks for pointing out the part about the DM guide, that was partly what I was looking for. I knew i'd seen that part before, but I looked and must have passed over it.

Yah, I didn't think the first part was worth it's own thread..which is why I was going to include the new spells here for critique. But you'r right, this should probably be in homebrew. Evidence, that I shouldn't multitask while posting. :-p

Considering that this is more of a homebrew question/topic. Is there any chance of getting it moved? I'd hate to make a new topic just to get people to look over my new spells when I add them.

squishycube
2007-09-28, 04:41 PM
Glad to be of assistance, I look forward to the spells your player will cook up.

crimson77
2007-09-28, 04:53 PM
A few suggestions:

Play test the spell for one gaming session and then talk to your DM. Was the spell two powerful/weak for that spell level. Then modify the spell. DMs are more likely to allow things (and not get frustrated) if you let them have some input into the spell.

Post your spell in the forums here. Getting a communities standpoint on a spell might be worth it to ensure that it is not two powerful/weak.

continuumc
2007-09-28, 04:57 PM
That's why I mentioned moving this topic, because I already said that I was going to post the spells here once I was done with them. Also, I am the DM. I started the thread not to make spells that get accepted, but to get help making spells that are balanced. I COULD give my DMPC a level 2 spell that does 200d12 damage; but i'm not that kind of DM. :-p I like to be fair and balanced as much as is possible.