PDA

View Full Version : A more lighthearted adventure?

EnnPeeCee
2019-03-05, 06:44 PM
I'm doing a little bit of planning ahead, and thinking about what campaign I want to run next. Currently my group is in the midst of running through Curse of Strahd, which is after a long string of gloomy, grim, dire, etc campaigns, and I'm in the mood to look for something on the lighter side of things. Something where the plot isn't so doom and gloom.

Now, I'm definitely not looking for something goofy/silly, I'll make that clear. Just something that's a bit more colorful, or cheerful. Where not every NPC has a dark sinister past.

Just looking for suggestions on a campaign to look into.
Are any of the official modules on the lighter side? The ones that I've skimmed through seem to be aimed towards a darker theme.
Or any good 3rd party to look into?

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-05, 06:45 PM
Is this for any level, or is this for your campaign immediately after CoS? Because level may matter.

EnnPeeCee
2019-03-05, 06:49 PM
Is this for any level, or is this for your campaign immediately after CoS? Because level may matter.

Ah, good point. Any and all levels. We switch around with new characters pretty often, so starting new is no problem. If it happens to line up where Strahd ends then even better.

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-05, 07:04 PM
Ah, good point. Any and all levels. We switch around with new characters pretty often, so starting new is no problem. If it happens to line up where Strahd ends then even better.

Lost Mines of Phandelver is a great, lighthearted campaign about a mine that effectively creates magical items that has been taken over by an evil wizard. It has lots of NPCs, and some pretty classic villains.

Storm King's Thunder is all about giants getting mad and are stomping up and down the Sword Coast, so the players gotta put them down before they make a mess of things. Lots of travel involved in this one.

The Sunless Citadel is a short-term module that's good for 5 or so sessions at low levels. It is a dungeon that's full of goblins and kobolds that can be reasoned with, traps that can be avoided, and combat that you don't want to get involved in. It has some dark elements at the end (when you find out the treasure you're searching for requires sacrifices to utilize), but otherwise can be pretty lighthearted with a lot of social events, despite revolving mostly around monsters.

EnnPeeCee
2019-03-05, 07:53 PM
Lost Mines of Phandelver is a great, lighthearted campaign about a mine that effectively creates magical items that has been taken over by an evil wizard. It has lots of NPCs, and some pretty classic villains.

Storm King's Thunder is all about giants getting mad and are stomping up and down the Sword Coast, so the players gotta put them down before they make a mess of things. Lots of travel involved in this one.

The Sunless Citadel is a short-term module that's good for 5 or so sessions at low levels. It is a dungeon that's full of goblins and kobolds that can be reasoned with, traps that can be avoided, and combat that you don't want to get involved in. It has some dark elements at the end (when you find out the treasure you're searching for requires sacrifices to utilize), but otherwise can be pretty lighthearted with a lot of social events, despite revolving mostly around monsters.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I'm actually a player in a Phandelver campaign currently, so that one in out for the moment, since I don't want to spoil myself on what is coming up.
I'll have to take a look at Sunless and a second look at Storm King. I ran the first chapter of Storm King when I was first learning 5th ed, and never really read any farther into it.

And I definitely don't mind there being some dark elements in the campaign, there has to be a bad guy doing bad things after all. I'm just trying to avoid campaigns that are dark the whole way through.

Sigreid
2019-03-05, 08:05 PM
The lost laboratory of kilwalsh could fit the bill.

GreyBlack
2019-03-06, 12:16 AM
Soooooo.... not an official campaign, but a concept I've been toying with is a long trek through what basically amounts to random fairytales and Disney movies. Basically; the PC's are sent on a quest to find the daughter of an evil queen, and find she's being protected by a band of dwarves. The queen intends to sacrifice her daughter in a ritual to achieve eternal beauty, so the PC's are forced to decide whether they want the huge payout of the queen (you'd start around level 1 I think so the payout I was thinking was around 5000 gp each) or to help this princess bring the forces of nature to bear against this queen who chooses to go against nature.

Heavily Fey themed, lots of fairies and hags and whatnot.

Unoriginal
2019-03-06, 06:19 AM
Dragon Heist or Lost Mine of Phandelver may fit the bill.

In the last Dragon Heist session I've DMed, one of the PCs spent the night partying with Mirt the Moneylender before they both drunkenly fell asleep on the stairs of the PCs' home.

EnnPeeCee
2019-03-06, 11:40 AM
The lost laboratory of kilwalsh could fit the bill.
Looks interesting, I hadn't heard of that one before. Thanks.

Soooooo.... not an official campaign, but a concept I've been toying with is a long trek through what basically amounts to random fairytales and Disney movies. Basically; the PC's are sent on a quest to find the daughter of an evil queen, and find she's being protected by a band of dwarves. The queen intends to sacrifice her daughter in a ritual to achieve eternal beauty, so the PC's are forced to decide whether they want the huge payout of the queen (you'd start around level 1 I think so the payout I was thinking was around 5000 gp each) or to help this princess bring the forces of nature to bear against this queen who chooses to go against nature.

Heavily Fey themed, lots of fairies and hags and whatnot.
Sounds like a good idea. I'm looking for something already written out, at the moment I don't have time to write campaigns. Thanks though.

Dragon Heist or Lost Mine of Phandelver may fit the bill.

In the last Dragon Heist session I've DMed, one of the PCs spent the night partying with Mirt the Moneylender before they both drunkenly fell asleep on the stairs of the PCs' home.
Thanks for the suggestions.