PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next [PEACH] Circle of the Lanayru Marsh (Breath of the Wild)

AureusFulgens
2019-03-05, 11:31 PM
This is likely to be the first of several druid circles from me.

I am working on overhauling the Druid subclasses for my ongoing project to adapt Breath of the Wild to D&D 5E. The idea is to have druid circles associated to Hyrule's various regions: Hyrule Field, the Gerudo Desert, the Hebra Tundra, the Faron Jungle, and so forth. Akkala Wilds will be the Circle of the Moon, likely with some modifications, but the Circle of the Land, Dreams, Shepherd, and Spores will not exist.

I'll start with one of my less ambitious projects: The Circle of the Lanayru Marshes, which I intend to be focused around protecting and buffing allies.

Circle of the Lanayru Marshes

The Lanayru circle was founded by Zora, though members of other races, particularly Hylians, also joined them at some times. They saw life in the wild as an opportunity for contemplation and seeking inner peace, and the stillness of the marsh as an ideal place for these pursuits. Their shelters were deliberately made large enough to accommodate travelers during the region’s frequent rains. Note: The flavor text is deliberately short - I aim to give the minimum necessary information to players to make build decisions, since their characters are amnesiacs.

As a Lanayru druid, you have the following subclass features.

Circle Spells. You gain the following spells as auto-prepared spells.

At 2nd level: bless, sanctuary
At 3rd level: calm emotions, pass without trace
At 5th level: mass healing word, water walk
At 7th level: aura of purity, private sanctum
At 9th level: commune with nature, greater restoration

River Shifter (2nd level). You can Wild Shape into creatures that can swim at 2nd level, ahead of the normal schedule. Additionally, while you are in Wild Shape, creatures within 30 feet of you have advantage on saving throws against being charmed or frightened.

Natural Recovery (2nd level). As the standard Land Druid feature: you can recover expended slots on a short rest with total levels equal to half your druid level.

Restorative Casting (6th level). When you cast a druid spell of 1st level or higher on a willing creature that is not hostile to you, you can also cause them to regain hit points equal to your Wisdom modifier. This does not improve spells that already restore hit points.

Inner Stillness (10th level). You cannot lose concentration on a druid spell by taking damage.

Shelter of Lanayru (14th level). While in Wild Shape, you are always under the effects of a sanctuary spell.

Any critiques are welcome! The following are areas I am specifically concerned about, however:

I thought that the aura effect under River Shifter was a neat, thematic thing for this Druid, but it occurs to me that it's a bit redundant with one of their circle spells, aura of purity.
I included the line about Restorative Casting not improving healing spells a while ago, but in retrospect I don't know if it's necessary.
The capstone feels like it might be a bit strong.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can offer!

Aureus

3/6: Restorative Casting refined to only affect spells of 1st level or higher.

JNAProductions
2019-03-05, 11:46 PM
Restorative Casting and Guidance.

That's an issue.

AureusFulgens
2019-03-06, 08:40 AM
Restorative Casting and Guidance.

That's an issue.

Yikes, good point. Seems like a pretty easy fix, though: restrict the ability to spells of 1st level or higher. Edited the original post.