PDA

View Full Version : Need some help deciding how much is internet worth to me.

Darken Rahl
2007-09-28, 03:06 PM
So I currently live in an apartment that is expensive in comparison to all other places nearby. It's new, has a gym, all utilities and furnishings included. It has a shared T1, which initially sounded great. Now, though, I realize what a crock it is. The neighbors, and I don't know which one or how many, are obviously using p2p, because it takes me 2-3 refreshes to load most websites at any given time.

Now, I like to browse, chat, watch movies, listen to streaming music, and play games online. I tried Halo 3 a few times and it is literally unplayable.

My cable provider will charge me 57 a month for cable.

Is it worth it? pros? Cons? Thoughts? It would be somewhat of a financial annoyance, but I can get by.

Crow
2007-09-28, 03:13 PM
Is the 57/month including your cable package?

If not, you may be able to find something better. Cingular was offering internet through cell. That was sweet. Anywhere I could pick up a cingular signal, I had access. Had to drop it when the child support payments started coming out though =(

Darken Rahl
2007-09-28, 03:26 PM
I'd want something that I can plug my PC and XBox into.

Jack Squat
2007-09-28, 03:32 PM
Well, you could probably first talk to your landlord and see about having them partition the bandwidth in the connection. The programs to do so aren't expensive, and might already be somewhere in the router.

If an explination is needed, it basically just cuts the entire connection, a T1 in your case, into however many segments are needed. Obviously, one segment can't overflow into another, so your connection shouldn't really change speed regardless of whatever someone else is doing.

Darken Rahl
2007-09-28, 03:40 PM
Well, as far as I can tell, my landlord really isn't interested in doing so, because when I complain, they tell me a bunch of stuff like "we'll look into it".

I don't want to whine too much in case later something important comes up.

It seems like the internet is not a priority to anyone but me, and I'm getting the feeling that I'm the only one who's annoyed...

Jack Squat
2007-09-28, 03:42 PM
I'd bug him every week or so until he directly says he won't do it. Chances are it's just not at the top of his list, so he forgets about it.

Darken Rahl
2007-09-28, 03:47 PM
That's a good point. I just wish they had some hours that weren't when I was working, so I wouldn't have to go through the secretary, who acts dumber than dirt.

adanedhel9
2007-09-28, 06:57 PM
How many people are on how many T1's? Despite their reputation for speed, T1s aren't that great: high-end cable and DSL services are typically 3 to 4 times faster than a single T1. It only takes roughly 30 users to bring individual bandwidth on a T1 down to dial-up speeds.