PDA

View Full Version : Role Playing a Firbolg Tempest Cleric?

orionbryan
2019-03-06, 09:02 AM
How would you RP this? Looking for options where I can better “suspend my own disbelief”.

I’m going with an atypical wanderlusting firbolg who took to a ship and left home. I just really wanted to try a tempest cleric but I’m having a moral dilemma to not play the race true to type. Most of my table wasn’t well aware of the race so I feel like I’m doing a disservice, especially since the hippie firbolg update is so recent fully realized in Volo’s.

I know it’s a bit odd but I really never played an odd race and playing in AL lends the boundaries to racial shenanigans which usually turn me off to the stuff in sourcebooks.

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-06, 06:28 PM
How would you RP this? Looking for options where I can better “suspend my own disbelief”.

I’m going with an atypical wanderlusting firbolg who took to a ship and left home. I just really wanted to try a tempest cleric but I’m having a moral dilemma to not play the race true to type. Most of my table wasn’t well aware of the race so I feel like I’m doing a disservice, especially since the hippie firbolg update is so recent fully realized in Volo’s.

I know it’s a bit odd but I really never played an odd race and playing in AL lends the boundaries to racial shenanigans which usually turn me off to the stuff in sourcebooks.

He's atypical because his mother was struck with a lightning bolt during her pregnancy, and somehow he survived. Now he's drawn to the lightning, addicted to it in a way. He didn't grow like other Firbolgs, and had a desire for the unknown. He has a quick wit and is surprisingly careless. He has a love for his people, and he talks about them a lot, but he never felt like he truly belonged.

When he's heavily injured, he reverts to the standard Firbolg ways of caution and distrust. That way, you get your adventurousness and your Firbolg culture in one bag that fits a solid narrative.

Ganymede
2019-03-06, 06:51 PM
There was something off about the storms that encircled the Whiterime Mountains. The storms never abated, even in the mildest of summers, and those that delved the storm's thunderous shadow were rarely heard from again.

For one particular firbolg, the storm was something different. While the other giantlkin ignored the distant booms of the storm's thunder, she heard them as calls to action and cries of glory. One day, she braved the wind and rain to unravel the mystery of the call. When she returned, she had pledged herself as a cleric of Stronmaus, god of the Storm Giants.

orionbryan
2019-03-16, 09:10 AM
He's atypical because his mother was struck with a lightning bolt during her pregnancy...

Sorry for my delay. This works nicely and I thank you. Getting hit by a bolt of lightning literally works in this case. Lol. Usually it’s more figurative. I Iove it. I think it’s also important to speak in party about how I am different from others of my clan. As a player I think it’s somewhat important to present the narrative that was lovingly crafted by the game designers, even if you are seeking a way to culturally opt-out...especially in the 5e revision of the Firbolg. Incidentally, the previous Firbolg works much better for a tempest cleric thematically.