PDA

View Full Version : Speculation Ring of Water Walking + Decanter of Endless Water

nickl_2000
2019-03-06, 09:35 AM
If I have a ring of water walking, a decanter of endless water, and a really good acrobatics check can I be Iceman or Frozone?

https://media1.tenor.com/images/67de7770a05442cc28403addff5aaf27/tenor.gif?itemid=10880200

Sirithhyando
2019-03-06, 10:49 AM
Love the idea, I'm curious to see what the others will say about it.
If you apply real-life logic, on a horizontal surface, wouldn't you need to gain speed before starting? Then you'd just be sliding on the water though your speed would decrease non-stop until you stop.
The ring lets you walk on water, it wouldn't make you slide.

Though if you're going downhill, it might not work, but I'm pretty sure many DM would let it slide (pun intended) just for the rule of cool.

But then the one who does it cast before hand a floating disk and everyone on it needs to make sure to stay on it.

Would be fun, would definitely end up badly, I'd definitely have my characters do it. :smallbiggrin:

Demonslayer666
2019-03-06, 10:55 AM
Frozone is sliding on ice formed into a ramp, not walking on water.

If you could shape and freeze the water, then yes.

Segev
2019-03-06, 11:14 AM
I don't see why this wouldn't work. The DM would need buy-in for this level of rule-of-cool, and to give you a reasonable Dexterity(skill) check DC, but...sure. Just be aware that your ramp is collapsing behind you, not staying in a neatly-piled snow drift. You're making quite the soppy mess of the environment.

Quoz
2019-03-06, 11:15 AM
In my group we used a decanter as a power source for small improvised vehicles, usually crafted with Shape Water or Mold Earth. Not great for overland travel, but can make a decent jet ski or outboard motor.

Sigreid
2019-03-06, 11:36 AM
In my group we used a decanter as a power source for small improvised vehicles, usually crafted with Shape Water or Mold Earth. Not great for overland travel, but can make a decent jet ski or outboard motor.

Put a water wheel on your wagon connected to the rear axle.

Deox
2019-03-06, 11:40 AM
Frozone is sliding on ice formed into a ramp, not walking on water.

If you could shape and freeze the water, then yes.

IIRC, Shape Water is a spell that would do exactly that, found in Elemental Evil. Couple this with Mold Earth maybe?

ImproperJustice
2019-03-06, 11:43 AM
Yeah. Shape water lets you create a small ice flow, then you can alter currents to move forward.

I mean, I think it will require your action to move using the ring and jug combo, but why not?

nickl_2000
2019-03-06, 11:52 AM
I know frozone slides on ice, so this would be more like him instead of being him. If you have a ring of water walking you could slide on the water I would think.

I'll give it a try with my DM before the end of the campaign.

Throne12
2019-03-06, 12:19 PM
I'm surprised no hasn't tryed to use it a a water jetpack. It has enough force to move 200 pounds 15ft. A Gnome, halfling, goblin, or any small race could use it as a jetpack. But I think med size creatures that less then 200 pounds could use it as jump jets.

Sigreid
2019-03-06, 12:25 PM
I'm surprised no hasn't tryed to use it a a water jetpack. It has enough force to move 200 pounds 15ft. A Gnome, halfling, goblin, or any small race could use it as a jetpack. But I think med size creatures that less then 200 pounds could use it as jump jets.

The decanter is by far my favorite magic item. Throughout the editions I've put it to all manner of wacky uses.

Unoriginal
2019-03-06, 12:55 PM
My question is, what do you want to accomplish ?

It's not going to make you move faster than your normal movement, but if you just want to move with style I'd allow it.

nickl_2000
2019-03-06, 01:12 PM
My question is, what do you want to accomplish ?

Mostly just looking awesome to be honest.