PDA

View Full Version : I have like 26 feats at level 6, what should I take?

Hackulator
2019-03-06, 04:57 PM
So I'm making a character for a game with a fair amount of homebrew content. The character is a gestalt sorcerer 6//Scaled Fist 4/Paladin 2. As a result of all the special rules, I have something in the area of 26 feats at level 6. What should I do playgrounders? My base plan is to have my offensive output be my fists and use spells as buffs and utility. Magic items are relatively rare.

Both pathfinder and 3.5 content are available.

AnonymousPepper
2019-03-06, 05:01 PM
If you could find a way to gain access to [Epic] feats somehow...

Elkad
2019-03-06, 05:47 PM
156 bonus HP.

That should maybe be blue, but only in comparison with what else you could do, not in comparison with normal PCs with 2-5 feats at that level.

DeTess
2019-03-06, 05:56 PM
I'd at the very least take martial study and martial stance once, to get the onus from an always on stance. Then I'd invest heavily in [draconic] feats, as with such a ridiculous amount of feats and 6 levels in sorcerer I could take all of them for goodies like +yes in knowledge skills, spot checks and on saves against a bunch of effects, super senses, more hp and a bunch of additional effects when casting spells.

After that, I'd pick up a least and lesser dragonmark, as well as feats to quicken those and dragonmark adept and prodigy for extra sla's. Then I'd probably make sure hidden talent was one of my 1st level feats, and pick up some psionic goodies.

Blackhawk748
2019-03-06, 05:58 PM
I'd at the very least take martial study and martial stance once, to get the onus from an always on stance. Then I'd invest heavily in [draconic] feats,as with such a ridiculous amount of feats and 6 levels in sorcerer I could take all of them for goodies like +yes in knowledge skills, spot checks and on saves against a bunch of effects, super senses, more hp and a bunch of additional effects when casting spells.

After that, I'd pick up a least and lesser dragonmark, as well as feats to quicken those and dragonmakr adept and prodigy for extra sla's. Then I'd probably make sure hidden talent was one of my 1st level feats, and pick up some psionic goodies.

On that note, grab some Psionic Feats that look cool and then Psionic Body which will give you some decent HP.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-03-06, 06:03 PM
I'd at the very least take martial study and martial stance once, to get the onus from an always on stance. Then I'd invest heavily in [draconic] feats,as with such a ridiculous amount of feats and 6 levels in sorcerer I could take all of them for goodies like +yes in knowledge skills, spot checks and on saves against a bunch of effects, super senses, more hp and a bunch of additional effects when casting spells.

After that, I'd pick up a least and lesser dragonmark, as well as feats to quicken those and dragonmakr adept and prodigy for extra sla's. Then I'd probably make sure hidden talent was one of my 1st level feats, and pick up some psionic goodies.

On that note, grab some Psionic Feats that look cool and then Psionic Body which will give you some decent HP.I was gonna suggest these. As well as various incarnum-related feats for some soulmelds and chakra binding.

Also, if you can manage it, a double-dip into martial monk. Then you can get a couple of high level feats (such as Infinite Deflection and Extraordinary Deflection, to protect yourself against all ranged attacks, all the time).

How's WBL looking in your campaign? Would it be worthwhile to grab Ancestral Relic and Item Familiar? Landlord, maybe? Maybe Extra Familiar and Improved Familiar? If you could take that changeling racial level that grants your familiar(s) shapeshifting, more familiar forms means more awesome, especially once you can turn your familiar into a living spell with the spell sovereign PrC, from Dragon #357.

ExLibrisMortis
2019-03-06, 06:40 PM
There are some crazy high-prerequisite martial art styles (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?558893-Complete-Martial-Arts-Styles) that offer nice benefits. They're almost never worth it, but with 26 feats...

Empty Hand Mastery looks good, for the greater unarmed damage.
Might of the Hand lets you apply your Dodge feat to multiple targets, which is great (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?533976-A-martial-arts-style-for-Dodging) with Elusive Target and Word Given Form, though you can't qualify for the latter because of the skill prerequisites.
No Wasted Motion looks interesting, too, depending on your Wisdom score.

Belial_the_Leveler
2019-03-06, 06:45 PM
26 feats at level 6
Are you playing a dwarf with 20 constitution? If yes, spend 10 feats on "Roll with It" for DR 20/- and never worry about weapon damage for the rest of the campaign.

Bartmanhomer
2019-03-06, 07:06 PM
How is that even possible? :eek:

Buufreak
2019-03-06, 07:22 PM

Kindly Google the meaning of homebrew.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-03-06, 07:37 PM
Are you playing a dwarf with 20 constitution? If yes, spend 10 feats on "Roll with It" for DR 20/- and never worry about weapon damage for the rest of the campaign.

It's easier to be a warforged and enhance your body with hardness-increasing spells (https://dndtools.net/spells/eberron-campaign-setting--12/hardening--4888/) and powers (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/matterManipulation.htm) with some WBL. Of course, your hardness also goes up if you enhance it with enhancement bonuses (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicVestment.htm) for even more hardness and hp (+2 and +10 per +1 bonus, respectively).

Bartmanhomer
2019-03-06, 07:50 PM
Kindly Google the meaning of homebrew.

Oh so that's the reason.

heavyfuel
2019-03-06, 08:25 PM
Shape Soulmeld and feats to bind the soulmelds are interesting. You can get very nifty abilities from them.

Handbook for more info: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?321557-The-World-in-One-Feat-A-Shape-Soulmeld-Handbook

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-03-06, 08:45 PM
Grab Dodge (or a variant) and Mobility, and then all of the actually good feats that have those two crap ones as prerequisites, like Elusive Target.

The Kool
2019-03-06, 09:03 PM
Make that a variant. At this point we're pretty confident you're picking up some psionic, incarnum, or initiator feats, so grab one of those versions of Dodge. I recommend the Incarnum one if you're going that way.

Crake
2019-03-06, 09:13 PM
Snowcasting, Earth Power, Earth Spell, Heighten Spell, Sanctum Spell, Extra Slot (5th), Extra Slot (7th), Extra Slot (9th), Extra Slot (11th) etc. Probably also scatter in there some Extra Spell feats so you actually have high level spells to cast.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-03-06, 09:25 PM
Make that a variant. At this point we're pretty confident you're picking up some psionic, incarnum, or initiator feats, so grab one of those versions of Dodge. I recommend the Incarnum one if you're going that way.There are lots of feats that affect the target of your Dodge feat, and since Expeditious Dodge, Desert Wind Dodge, and a few others count as Dodge but affect more targets, that should mean that those feats should also affect more targets.

For instance, the Word Given Form feat:

Word Given Form
You have mastered the martial arts style of "Word Given Form"
Prerequisite: Truespeak 12 ranks, Tumble 12 ranks, Combat Expertise, Dodge, Improved Unarmed Strike, Mobility, Spring Attack.
Benefit: When using the Dodge feat against an opponent in addition to the +1 dodge bonus to AC, you also gain total concealment (50% miss chance) from that opponent as your form blurs and shifts.
Might be a bit before you can get that one, though.

ericgrau
2019-03-06, 09:25 PM
Hmm, about 21 passive feats and 5 active feats so you can use all your crazy power simultaneously.

Typically I'd say something like greater weapon mastery + shocktrooper + either jump optimization or a source of flight + great cleave + a reach weapon + possibly other reach feats + speed boosting feats (e.g. wild talent + speed of thought). So you hit hard, you nearly always hit even if something blocks your ubercharge you still hit + everything else within reach dies + you can move far enough to get most foes into your reach. So basically on your turn you launch yourself into the middle of the monsters and they all die. But GWM requires fighter 4. I'm not telling you to take fighter 4, I mean look around and I'm sure you'll find something else where all 21 feats can be used simultaneously. Also depends on how much optimization is allowed. I'm sure there are many other semi-broken feat combos too. But if you have 26 feats, I'm betting a lot is allowed.

The Kool
2019-03-06, 09:56 PM
Short distance flight can be achieved via Shape Soulmeld, I think it's the Airstep Sandals.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-03-06, 10:16 PM
Short distance flight can be achieved via Shape Soulmeld, I think it's the Airstep Sandals.Combine with Martial Stance for the dance of the spider stance (or just spider climb), and you can stop your movement on any surface that isn't either liquid or water-slicked ice, whether floor, wall, ceiling, or whatever. Or you could just fly for 10 min/lvl with alter form.

bean illus
2019-03-06, 10:24 PM
FONT OF INSPIRATION ! oh, wait ..

... maybe? Maybe Extra Familiar and Improved Familiar? If you could take that changeling racial level that grants your familiar(s) shapeshifting, more familiar forms means more awesome, especially once you can turn your familiar into a living spell with the spell sovereign PrC, from Dragon #357.

That's what i was gonna say. Your familiar feats apply to all your familiars.

Think of it as epic gestalt e6 on steroids.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-03-06, 10:46 PM
How about as many metamagic feats and metamagic reducers as possible, then grab as many pearls of power, wands of Rary's mnemonic enhancer, and runestaves as you can afford?

A dip into cleric (or some other class with Turn Undead), Divine Metamagic (Several Great Metamagic Feats), and lots of nightsticks?

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-03-06, 11:07 PM
If you can, get yourself Stormguard Warrior and then some ways of racking up opportunity attacks and using the ones you have without actually attacking. My favorite is Evasive Reflexes, which lets you five foot step instead of taking your AoO. This doesn't actually consume your AoO for the round and arguably also overrules the general rule of only on 5 ft step per round, meaning that if your DM agrees you can just follow a fleeing foe or (if you have a reach weapon) retreat from an approaching one using 5 ft steps, which is hilarious even before you get all the benefits of Stormguard Warrior. Another favorite of mine is Karmic Strike, which means enemies provoke AoOs by attacking you.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-03-06, 11:10 PM
Combat Reflexes, Evasive Reflexes, Karmic Strike, and Robilar's Gambit to sidestep attacks made against you?

Crake
2019-03-06, 11:13 PM
Combat Reflexes, Evasive Reflexes, Karmic Strike, and Robilar's Gambit to sidestep attacks made against you?

robilars gambit requires 12 bab

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-03-06, 11:14 PM
robilars gambit requires 12 babNot if you're a martial monk, it doesn't. :smalltongue:

bean illus
2019-03-06, 11:32 PM
Who doesn't like to go first?

I always wish i had enough feats for Quick Reconoiter: +2 initiative and a free listen and spot check every round. Stacks with improved initiative.

Zaq
2019-03-07, 12:37 AM
Take a million [Luck] feats from Complete Scoundrel. Reroll EVERYTHING.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-03-07, 12:50 AM
Take a million [Luck] feats from Complete Scoundrel. Reroll EVERYTHING.Wouldn't it be easier to make Concentration checks for everything?

Also, boost your Will saves to maximum levels. Take Wedded to History (Survivor) and make Will saves in lieu of all other saves at an escalating penalty. Replace all of your Will saves with Concentration checks via a maneuver. Now the penalty to Will saves no longer applies (because they're not Will saves, they're Concentration checks).

NecroDancer
2019-03-07, 12:52 AM
Improved Initiative. This simple feat has ALWAYS been useful whenever I take it. The sweet +4 to your Initiative will never let you down.

Edit: Mobile Spellcasting is also nice. You can cast spells while you move. If your still lost then I’d suggest maybe some bloodline feats, they’re fun (if not super powerful) and give you some extra spells.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-03-07, 12:55 AM
Draconic Aura (Vigor)? Healing everyone who likes you up to 1/2 HP saves a lot of healing in the long run, and it auto-stabilizes friends when you're nearby, without an action.

skunk3
2019-03-07, 01:20 AM
Take a million [Luck] feats from Complete Scoundrel. Reroll EVERYTHING.

This. ALL THE LUCK FEATS!

The Kool
2019-03-07, 08:08 AM
True! This is a rare opportunity to build a luck build that excels at it! And it would only take half your feats!

Jack_Simth
2019-03-07, 08:33 AM
Snowcasting, Earth Power, Earth Spell, Heighten Spell, Sanctum Spell, Extra Slot (5th), Extra Slot (7th), Extra Slot (9th), Extra Slot (11th) etc. Probably also scatter in there some Extra Spell feats so you actually have high level spells to cast.
Dragon Compendium Bloodline Feats and Arcane Disciple. They pack a lot of spells into a small feat footprint. Note that Heighten Spell is limited to 9ths itself, though, so this one can't quite get you high enough spell slots to do the Innate Spell(Miracle) trick to get any 7th level or lower spell at-will. You'll need to be a Circle Leader to get that high.

martixy
2019-03-07, 09:38 AM
Holy crap. Even my ridiculous gestalt game isn't as absurd as this.

My suggestion is stacking things that stack, most of which have already been suggested.
Font of Inspiration
Psionic Talent (+Psionic Body)
Improved Psicrystal (remember those can take feats)
Incarnum feats
Luck feats
Combat Form
Summoning and/or Necromancy
Extra Turning + Persistomancy

Pick a theme and go for it.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-03-07, 10:53 AM
Holy crap. Even my ridiculous gestalt game isn't as absurd as this.
It's high level gestalt e6. You don't gain "levels" (HD, hp, saving throws, class abilities, and so on) after level 6; instead, you gain feats.

That's what this is.

Troacctid
2019-03-07, 12:19 PM
Draconic feats can easily fill a dozen slots and scale with the number of feats you have. The Fey Heritage and Fiendish Heritage feat lines are similar but smaller.

You can take Shape Soulmeld a bunch of times and get a meld in every slot plus essentia to fuel them.

You can get least and lesser dragonmarks and quicken them both. Then add Mark of the Dauntless and Born of the Three Thunders.

If you go shifter, you can take all the shifter feats.

Take a bunch of metamagic feats and Arcane Thesis to apply them all at once. You can even take Arcane Thesis for multiple spells.

Bind Vestige, Improved Bind Vestige, Practiced Binder, and Expel Vestige make you a pretty decent soul binder.

Martial Study and Martial Stance are always strong choices.

The Psychic Meditation (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040827b) line is not bad, although it's better if you're a psionic class and can go into Meditant.

There are lots of feats that affect the target of your Dodge feat, and since Expeditious Dodge, Desert Wind Dodge, and a few others count as Dodge but affect more targets, that should mean that those feats should also affect more targets.

For instance, the Word Given Form feat:

Might be a bit before you can get that one, though.
Expeditious Dodge and Desert Wind Dodge don't have targets at all (unless you count yourself). They don't interact with Word Given Form.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-03-07, 12:33 PM
Expeditious Dodge and Desert Wind Dodge don't have targets at all (unless you count yourself). They don't interact with Word Given Form.And yet they both count as the Dodge feat for Word Given Form. Anyone you gain the dodge bonuses against function with it.

Troacctid
2019-03-07, 12:48 PM
And yet they both count as the Dodge feat for Word Given Form. Anyone you gain the dodge bonuses against function with it.
If a feat gives a benefit against the target of your Dodge feat and your Dodge feat doesn't have a target, then you don't get the benefit. I don't feel like this is especially controversial.

Jack_Simth
2019-03-07, 02:42 PM
Dragon Compendium Bloodline Feats and Arcane Disciple. They pack a lot of spells into a small feat footprint. Note that Heighten Spell is limited to 9ths itself, though, so this one can't quite get you high enough spell slots to do the Innate Spell(Miracle) trick to get any 7th level or lower spell at-will. You'll need to be a Circle Leader to get that high.

Oh, and if you do go that route, also grab Arcane Preparation and some reserve feats.