PDA

View Full Version : Feats for Monk 3.5e

MetznTrix
2019-03-06, 08:47 PM
Which SRD books have good feats for monks/ grapplers/unarmed combat? I've come across oriental adventures.

Karl Aegis
2019-03-06, 10:53 PM
The only good feats I can think of are Hold the Line and Knockback from the Dieties and Demigods part of the SRD to go with your Combat Reflexes and Improved Trip bonus feats. The SRD does not support a wisdom-focused Monk well.

Psyren
2019-03-07, 02:17 AM
Monk Handbook (http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=2902.0) has some recommendations

King of Nowhere
2019-03-08, 05:31 AM
defensive throw gives you a free trip attempt against an opponent missing you

Eldariel
2019-03-08, 06:22 AM
SRD books? Oriental Adventures is not SRD; SRD is literally just Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, Monster Manual I, Expanded Psionics Handbook, Deities & Demigods, Epic Level Handbook & parts of Unearthed Arcana. Of those, Monster Manual I has two useful Monk feats (Improved Natural Attack, Ability Focus), Expanded Psionics Handbook has some useful stuff (Stand Still, maybe Unavoidable Strike has some uses) & Deities & Demigods (Knock-Down is a great feat and Monks qualify easily).

Now, if you mean 1st party sources, you have some more good stuff. Tome of Battle has the Snap Kick feat, which is a nice extra attack on top of everything else. Oriental Adventures combat styles are indeed pretty good. Complete Warrior has the Sun School-feat, which is pretty nice (though admittedly you don't really want to combine it with Monk's Dimension Door since it's 1/day; some other classes make great use of it though). Races of Faerun has the Jotunbrud-feat, which makes you count as Large for combat maneuvers (+4 effectively), so that's pretty nice. In similar vein, Expanded Psionics Handbook has the Hidden Talent-feat, which allows picking one psionic power you can manifest; the options include Expansion, which makes you Large, which is pretty awesome for Monks. Magic of Incarnum has Shape Soulmeld and Open Least Chakra: if you pick Sphinx Claws, these two combined give you (unarmed) Pounce, which is obviously exactly what the Monk needs so there's that too.

StreamOfTheSky
2019-03-09, 01:36 PM
There's a fair number of decent monk feats. The problem is too many of them require tons of garbage feats first. I think w/ unarmed combat stuff, it's actually generally an even worse "tax load" than w/ fighter feats, without nearly as many bonus feats to offset it.
And then there's the implicit problem that too many of the monk's class features and feats exist just to get them back up to par w/ a generic Warrior w/ a sword, rather than exceeding said floor. But let's leave that aside and just look for good monk feats w/ either few pre-reqs or ones you'll actually want.

Scorpion's Grasp (Sandstorm): Just requires Imp. Grapple, which you'd want w/ this anyway and can (but shouldn't) take as a bonus feat. Gives you "Improved Grab, but better" since it: a) works on anything you can grapple and not just foes one or more sizes smaller than you; b) lets you attack in the grapple w/o the -4 penalty; c) explicitly gives you the option take -20 to use one hand and not count as grappled yourself when grappling foes smaller than you (I don't know if you're allowed to do that w/ normal grappling).
EDIT: If you plan on using a Constrict attack, such as via Crushing Weight of the Mountain stance in ToB, check with your DM. This is effectively Imp. Grab, but is not called it, so by strict RAW it does not let you constrict. If the DM says you still need actual Imp. Grab to constrict, then dip a level in Barbarian and use the Bear spirit totem variant from C.Champion.

Imp. Natural Attack (MM1): Boost unarmed damage, no pre-reqs. Has a bigger effect later on, but will scale as you advance.

Snap Kick (Tome of Battle): Bonus unarmed attack on pretty much any attack action you make for a -2 to hit penalty, and not just full attacks. Charge? Bonus attack! Use a strike maneuver? Bonus attack! Spring Attacking? Bonus attack! I think it's up for debate whether or not it gives you bonus attacks on AoOs, but by RAW it seems to!

Superior Unarmed Strike (Tome of Battle): Damage as a monk 4 levels higher... Meh, at least it has no pre-reqs and stacks w/ INA. I think the effective size increase table of INA is better than the monk's piddly level increases, especially if you're getting enlarge person and/or greater mighty wallop buffs (which you should be), but if you somehow can fit both feats in, they stack.

Anchoring Blow (Dragon mag #306): This one has a lot of pre-reqs including Power Attack (bad for unarmed so normally not taken) and rather high Str 15 Wis 17 that can be tough for a while if you're the typical MAD monk. But it lets you burn a stunning fist attempt to dimensional anchor a foe (caster level = character level, not class level!), which is super handy if you want to grapple a caster and not be laughed at.

Pain Touch (C.Warrior): Turns your 1 round stunning fist into a 2-rounder effectively, by nauseating the foe on the 2nd round. Doubling the time a foe can't do anything is pretty good, and it doesn't require much special beyond Wis 15.

Pharaoh's Fist (Sandstorm): Turns your stunning fist into a small AoE, also affecting foes adjacent to the victim. Best results when combined with abilities/allies that can forcibly move foes into position. Setting Sun strikes, Knockback and Shock Trooper using ally (could be you...), Great Throw-user (you...if you can qualify for it), etc...

Multiattack (MM1): If you have some claws or other natural weapons via race, magic items (horned helm, various claw-granting hand/arm-wear, there's a mask that gives a bite attack I think..., etc...) to indisputably reach the requirement of 3+ natural weapons, this is a no-brainer to reduce your 2ndary natural attack penalty down to -2. Can benefit unarmed itself if you're using a weapon since monk unarmed counts as a natural weapon. Imp. Multiattack isn't bad either, but a smaller benefit.

Knock-Down (Sword & Fist or Deities and Demigods): Instead of tripping then attacking, you attack then trip...and by RAW I guess get to attack again. Either nifty or downright very strong, depending how DM rules it.

Great Throw (Oriental Adventures): I love this feat, but it's a bit harsh to acquire... You need Dodge (could use an alternate like Desert Wind Dodge, or beg DM for the PF fix that applies it vs. all), Imp. Trip (bonus feat), and Combat Reflexes. In return, when you trip a foe up to your size, you can forfeit the Imp. Trip bonus attack to have the foe land in any square you threaten (pro-tip: Use a 1H reach weapon like a kusari-gama along w/ enlarge person and normal reach shenanigans to greatly exapnd the "threatened area" radius you can throw them into). You do at least deal unarmed damage, so that makes up for losing the bonus attack.