PDA

View Full Version : Entities as powerful as Tiamat?

Pinjata
2019-03-07, 04:40 AM
So, I'm basically looking for Tiamat power-level entities in 5e material. With Tyrrany of the dragons, we have a credible world-changing global threat. Who else of know entities could match such a threat? I men scheming Drow and scattered Illithids are hardly a global threat in Faerun.

Unoriginal
2019-03-07, 04:50 AM
So, I'm basically looking for Tiamat power-level entities in 5e material. With Tyrrany of the dragons, we have a credible world-changing global threat. Who else of know entities could match such a threat? I men scheming Drow and scattered Illithids are hardly a global threat in Faerun.

Lolth. Gruumsh. Most of the evil Gods, actually.

Waazraath
2019-03-07, 04:57 AM
Demon lords, arch devils, maybe?

No brains
2019-03-07, 04:59 AM
Venger seemed pretty close to Tiamat in power.:smalltongue: I don't think he has a 5e version yet.

OvisCaedo
2019-03-07, 05:13 AM
If I remember right, Tiamat is even only a "lesser" deity, for whatever that means. But it's possible all of the stronger evil gods are just kept perpetually in stalemates by their opposing gods of similar level.

Unoriginal
2019-03-07, 05:41 AM
Tiamat is a lesser deity on Faerun, but that kind of things vary from world to world.

Venger is five artifacts away from Tiamat's power level. Could be interesting to use him, though, he's cool.

Demon lords, arch devils, maybe?

Most of the Demon Lords and Archdevils are a full weight class below Tiamat. Those who aren't tend to be gods as well.

Rukelnikov
2019-03-07, 11:58 AM
As has been said the evil deities are the obvious go to, the evil trinity Bane, Myrkul and Bhaal, the goddess of darkness Shar, etc.

Any other "plot device" characters also work, like Larloch, Srinshee, Ioulaum, etc.

Ganymede
2019-03-07, 12:32 PM
I would say that Takhisis is exactly as powerful as Tiamat.

Naanomi
2019-03-07, 12:39 PM
I would say that Takhisis is exactly as powerful as Tiamat.
Locally maybe, but she doesn’t have nearly the influence on a planar scale that Tiamat wields

Waazraath
2019-03-07, 01:04 PM
Most of the Demon Lords and Archdevils are a full weight class below Tiamat. Those who aren't tend to be gods as well.

Most, but a big fat one like Orcus is playing in the same league, afaic, both in power (his undead summoning abilities are just mean in combination with Time Stop) as in lore (controlling an entire layer of the Abyss, and being one of the most powerful princes).

Millstone85
2019-03-07, 01:18 PM
If I remember right, Tiamat is even only a "lesser" deity, for whatever that means.Here is the 5e definition of a lesser deity:
Lesser deities are embodied somewhere in the planes. Some lesser deities live in the Material Plane, as does the unicorn-goddess Lurue of the Forgotten Realms and the titanic shark-god Sekolah revered by the sahuagin. Others live on the Outer Planes, as Lolth does in the Abyss. Such deities can be encountered by mortals.

This is put in contrast with this definition of a greater deity:
Greater deities are beyond mortal understanding. They can't be summoned, and they are almost always removed from direct involvement in mortal affairs. On very rare occasions they manifest avatars similar to lesser deities, but slaying a greater god's avatar has no effect on the god itself.

I am not sure, but I think what 5e calls a greater deity is what other editions called an overgod, such as Ao.