PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a homebrew close combat warrior.

Honore Shadow
2019-03-07, 04:44 AM
We’re going to play tomb of annihalition.
Its a bit of a complicated history, but i once wanted to make this “semi-dragon” dragonborn. His fighting style is very wild.
I had monk in mind, but really, that dex based aspect doesnt feel right, but i really liked the unarmed combat.

I gave up, until my friend invited my for this campain in a few weeks. I have the following three home brew aspects to my dragonborn.
1: i am not proficient with melee weapons, but have a monks unarmed combat-damage. I also have the ability to make an offhand attack as a bonus action, but i will need the two weapon fighting style to add my str. To the damage roll.
2: i am not proficient with ranged weapons, but can use the acid splash cantrip, with charisma as modifier.
3. I dont have armor proficiency, but have unarmored defense:
10+con.+dex.

I am highly doubtfull though wether i want a (revised) ranger with later on hunter conclave, or a fighter with later battlemaster. I really like the collosus slayer ability, but dont like the spellcasting.
We dont know yet wether we get pointbuy with an added +1 to a single skill, or rolling for stats.
I want to focus on strength, constitution and charisma, with dex limping a bit behind perhaps.

What should i choose, or perhaps any other suggestions?
P.s. I kinda dislike multiclassing

Honore Shadow
2019-03-07, 09:54 AM
Nobody any idea sor suggestions? :/

CheddarChampion
2019-03-07, 10:57 AM
Welcome to the Forum!

People on this site tend to keep away from homebrew since it's easier to evaluate things we know rather than things we don't.

I'd recommend the fighter over the ranger, since you don't like the spellcasting and need as many stat boosts as you can get.

If I understand correctly, if you do point buy your stats can start as
16 Str, 14 Dex, 14 Con, 8 Int, 10 Wis, 14 Cha.
TWF style is the only one that will help in any way, so take that one.
I recommend picking up the feat "Skilled" if you want to do anything outside of combat.
Other than that boost your Str to 20, then Dex Con or Cha.

Another alternative would be a Dragonborn barbarian with the tavern brawler feat:
After level 4 you could have 18 strength, deal 1d4+str+rage damage with a punch, kick, or bite.
Grapple as a bonus action after a hit. Next turn position yourself and the enemy so your breath weapon hits multiple foes.

GlenSmash!
2019-03-07, 11:07 AM
The Pugilist might fit what you want and it's fairly well reviewed. try searching for it on DmsGuild.

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-07, 11:18 AM
Damn, that's ugly.

Wanting Charisma but not Dex. Wanting Strength but not armor.

Swords Bard. That's about the best thing you'd be able to pull off with those kinds of requirements.

Or if you want to ignore your unarmed defense, Paladin is going to be your best choice.

I did a lot of work looking into alternate attributes for a bunch of different classes and how to break them. Turns out, if you just swap Dexterity in all the Monk features for Strength, it does just fine. If the DM is worried about you multiclassing into Barbarian, then just tack on the requirement that you're not allowed to use a Monk subclass that doesn't use Wisdom (like Drunken Master or Kensei). That'd be a lot better than trying to figure out a build using Charisma and Strength who's AC is based on armorless Dexterity.

stoutstien
2019-03-07, 05:22 PM
We’re going to play tomb of annihalition.
Its a bit of a complicated history, but i once wanted to make this “semi-dragon” dragonborn. His fighting style is very wild.
I had monk in mind, but really, that dex based aspect doesnt feel right, but i really liked the unarmed combat.

I gave up, until my friend invited my for this campain in a few weeks. I have the following three home brew aspects to my dragonborn.
1: i am not proficient with melee weapons, but have a monks unarmed combat-damage. I also have the ability to make an offhand attack as a bonus action, but i will need the two weapon fighting style to add my str. To the damage roll.
2: i am not proficient with ranged weapons, but can use the acid splash cantrip, with charisma as modifier.
3. I dont have armor proficiency, but have unarmored defense:
10+con.+dex.

I am highly doubtfull though wether i want a (revised) ranger with later on hunter conclave, or a fighter with later battlemaster. I really like the collosus slayer ability, but dont like the spellcasting.
We dont know yet wether we get pointbuy with an added +1 to a single skill, or rolling for stats.
I want to focus on strength, constitution and charisma, with dex limping a bit behind perhaps.

What should i choose, or perhaps any other suggestions?
P.s. I kinda dislike multiclassing
Paladin. Smites needs a melee attack not a weapon.
Still will have lagging ac but lay on hands will help

Kane0
2019-03-07, 06:08 PM
Wait, why not use Lizardfolk? Natural weapons and AC come included, stats are good for a ranger or monk, and you could probably trade one of your free skill proficiencies for Acid Splash.