PDA

View Full Version : ASI Suggestions for a War Mage

WeaselGuy
2019-03-07, 08:36 AM
Hey y'all, I'm playing a level 8 High Elf War Mage right now. We've finished up Dragon Heist, then did a little off-shoot campaign ported over from 3e, where we had to clear out an entire fortress of orcs in order to save some scions, and now we're headed back to Waterdeep, to start in on Dungeon of the Mad Mage. I may be jumping the gun a little bit here, but I'm trying to decide what ASI to take when I hit 12. We are allowed to pick any of the available feat options in lieu of an ASI, so those options are on the table. I used my level 4 ASI to take Spell Sniper, and my level 8 ASI went to +2 INT, bringing me up to 19. I'm trying to decide between adding +1 to INT and +1 to WIS (bringing that score up to 12), or taking a feat that gives me a bonus plus the +1 INT. I'm wide open to suggestions, and will also give any desired information from my character sheet. TIA!

Nhorianscum
2019-03-07, 09:47 AM
Observant is extremely good here.

Alert + Lucky rounds things out nicely.

trollballz
2019-03-07, 09:54 AM
I second everything Nhorianscum said.

Other popular option is warcaster.

Vogie
2019-03-07, 09:55 AM
+1 WIS & +1 Int is probably best. +5 to your stuff and +1 mind shielding is totally a thing you'll need.

WeaselGuy
2019-03-07, 09:55 AM
Observant is extremely good here.

Alert + Lucky rounds things out nicely.

Somehow, I had not noticed that Observant gives +5 to my passive Perception check. That is ridiculous. Also, I've definitely looked at Alert. +5 to my Initiative is also ridiculous, especially since I already get to add my Intelligence bonus to it. Having a +12 to Initiative will almost always guarantee me top of the order.

I second everything Nhorianscum said.

Other popular option is warcaster.

I've considered Warcaster, but it is rare that I end up in melee combat with anything that I either don't expect to die imminently, or that I can just Misty Step away from. When I was originally planning to go with Bladesinger, it was definitely a larger priority.

+1 WIS & +1 Int is probably best. +5 to your stuff and +1 mind shielding is totally a thing you'll need.

Yeah, that's why I was considering the +1/+1, to round out my Wisdom. i just didn't know if better options existed.

Thanks for the suggestions all! Keep 'em coming :)