PDA

View Full Version : Mesopotamian Cleric

petermcleod117
2019-03-07, 05:45 PM
Anyone know of a good alternate cleric class for a mesopotamian campaign? I can find plenty of prestige classes and monsters that fit, but very little in terms of unique base class options.

Troacctid
2019-03-07, 05:57 PM
I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for—is something wrong with the core cleric?

Dragon #311 has a variety of alternative clerics for your perusal.

Rebel7284
2019-03-07, 05:58 PM
Besides worshiping Mesopotamian gods, what sort of abilities would feel Mesopotamian to you? Seems like 99% of this would be roleplay.

OgresAreCute
2019-03-07, 06:03 PM
Use the Sacred Geometry feat, I hear those mesopotamians liked triangles. :smallamused:

petermcleod117
2019-03-07, 06:14 PM
I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for—is something wrong with the core cleric?

not necessarily, I just would like it to have a bit more flavor. I've seen plenty of other customized cleric classes in various 3rd party sources for different historical cultures, but none for mesopotamia.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

petermcleod117
2019-03-07, 06:20 PM
Besides worshiping Mesopotamian gods, what sort of abilities would feel Mesopotamian to you? Seems like 99% of this would be roleplay.

the way I see it, they wouldn't be very melee-focused. From what I know, most priests in ancient and medieval times were not front-line fighters.

in other words, they would be more of the type to stay in the back and rain divine fury on their foes from a distance.

normally I would choose the Archivist for this, but they largely depend on their prayerbook; while the mesopotamian cultures had a written language and most of the priesthood were educated in it's use, they did not really have anything convenient to write on (they used stone and clay tablets, which were bulky, heavy, and had a habit of breaking in transport).

They would also have a focus on astrology, though that is not necessarily a requirement, as I know of several domains that duplicate that effect.

petermcleod117
2019-03-07, 06:22 PM
Use the Sacred Geometry feat, I hear those mesopotamians liked triangles. :smallamused:

that is true. I know there is a prestige class like that, but is there a base class that uses that? Or would I have to homebrew it?

Thurbane
2019-03-07, 06:22 PM
Note sure if OP is already aware of this, but this seems to be a decent 3rd party product: Ancient Kingdoms: Mesopotamia (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/980/Ancient-Kingdoms-Mesopotamia)

Most stuff from Necromancer games I've got or seen is of good quality, as far as 3rd party products go.

petermcleod117
2019-03-07, 06:30 PM
Note sure if OP is already aware of this, but this seems to be a decent 3rd party product: Ancient Kingdoms: Mesopotamia (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/980/Ancient-Kingdoms-Mesopotamia)

Most stuff from Necromancer games I've got or seen is of good quality, as far as 3rd party products go.

yep, I got it. It is excellent quality. It has some prestige classes with great (in one case amazing) flavor, some good feats, and even a little encounter to start you out.

I highly recommend it.

that being said, it's a little shorter than I would have liked, and does not have any unique base classes, which are my bread and butter so to speak.

there is also a small section of Mythic Vistas: Testament devoted to Mesopotamia; it has an interesting alternate sorcerer class which is almost like a wizard in some respects, but it lacks any divine spellcasting options.

Thurbane
2019-03-07, 06:32 PM
Dragon # 329 also has an article on the Mesopotamian mythos. No alternate clerics, but good game info on the gods.

I ran a 2E game using a pseudo-Babylonian mythos, and use the 2E rules to customize priests/clerics of each god.

petermcleod117
2019-03-07, 06:37 PM
Dragon # 329 also has an article on the Mesopotamian mythos. No alternate clerics, but good game info on the gods.

I ran a 2E game using a pseudo-Babylonian mythos, and use the 2E rules to customize priests/clerics of each god.

interesting. what was the name of the 2e manual you used? I could look it up and then convert it

Rebel7284
2019-03-07, 06:43 PM
Cloistered Cleric is a lovely ACF for a back line cleric. Customize Domain perhaps to pick some thematic arcane spells?

petermcleod117
2019-03-07, 06:45 PM
Cloistered Cleric is a lovely ACF for a back line cleric. Customize Domain perhaps to pick some thematic arcane spells?

that would actually work very well. thank you, I think I'll use that.

Edit: I forgot UA also has the Divine Bard, which would be perfect for a mesopotamian setting. In Babylonian religion, there were members of the clergy whose explicit purpose was to sing the praises of their god (usually female). This would model them very well.

Thurbane
2019-03-07, 06:45 PM
interesting. what was the name of the 2e manual you used? I could look it up and then convert it

I used the The Complete Priest's Handbook (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/16888/PHBR3-The-Complete-Priests-Handbook-2e).

petermcleod117
2019-03-07, 06:46 PM

thank you for the suggestion. I didn't quite find what I was looking for there, but I did find something fascinating nonetheless (a cleric class that lets you become a god).

petermcleod117
2019-03-07, 06:48 PM
I used the The Complete Priest's Handbook (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/16888/PHBR3-The-Complete-Priests-Handbook-2e).

Thanks. I think I will use Rebel7284's idea of using the Cloistered Cleric, and then use your suggestion for additional fluff.

Troacctid
2019-03-07, 07:05 PM
You should also check out the ACFs in Dragon #353 pp. 88–89 that replace turning.

Thurbane
2019-03-07, 07:19 PM
There would be some 3E PrCs that could easily be re-fluffed for Mesopotamian gods; Radiant Servant of Pelor = Utu/Shammash etc.

petermcleod117
2019-03-07, 08:39 PM
You should also check out the ACFs in Dragon #353 pp. 88–89 that replace turning.

I would do that, except the Ashipu Priest prestige class from Ancient Kingdoms Mesopotamia depends on the ability to turn undead (or at least turn something).

frogglesmash
2019-03-08, 08:54 AM
Not a base class, but the feat Blessed by Tem-Et-Nu from sandstorm let's you rebuke and command hippopotami if you are a cleric, which is not only thematically appropriate, but hilarious.

Ellrin
2019-03-08, 02:51 PM
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think hippopotamuses were actually extant in mesopotamia by the time civilization began to flourish. Egypt, yes, but that’s a long way away.

hamishspence
2019-03-08, 03:00 PM
Hippos were pretty widespread in the past:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippopotamus

Hippopotamus amphibius was widespread in North Africa and Europe during the Eemian[38] and late Pleistocene until about 30,000 years ago. Archaeological evidence exists of its presence in the Levant, dating to less than 3,000 years ago.[39][40]

liquidformat
2019-03-08, 03:14 PM
Besides using the cloistered cleric you might want to go through and get rid of quite a few spells like Divine Favor, Righteous Might, and Divine Power that make clerics melee power houses...

Rebel7284
2019-03-08, 05:42 PM
Besides using the cloistered cleric you might want to go through and get rid of quite a few spells like Divine Favor, Righteous Might, and Divine Power that make clerics melee power houses...

I mean, you could, or you could just not prepare them?

Helluin
2019-03-09, 08:32 PM
Would you accept Pathfinder port? The Ecclesitheurge does exactly what you want - loses proficiency with many armors and melee weapons, while gaining access to all domain spells associated with a god (can be changed daily instead of sticking to two domains), as well as the ability to prepare spells from one chosen domain as regular spell slots. With the right domain choice they are basically wizards.