PDA

View Full Version : Celestial Tomelock build

n00b
2019-03-08, 10:09 AM
Wanting to build a Celestial Tomelock. Starting at level 3 and using only PHB races. Not opposed to a small dip into another class, 1 or 2 levels max though. So rather not do Sorcerer. Is there any trick to getting the most out of this build? Primary damage would be EB, avoiding melee at all costs. Most likely not going past level 10-12 or so.

Green Leviathan
2019-03-08, 10:24 AM
Fighter 2 is a common dip for fighting style, action surge, a small second wind and armor prof. Another good dip is Paladin 2, swapping action surge and second wind for smite, lay on hands, and some spell access.

Though honestly I would just stick with warlock if you plan to stay in the back line.

As far as Celestial goes, I can't offer much.

Corran
2019-03-08, 10:25 AM
Well, not so much tips, more like preferences that I try and take into account when thinking of a warlock build.

I like races with a +2 cha bonus, so that I can take actor at level 4 and round my charisma to 18 at the same time. The reason I like actor is because it plays nicely with the mask of many faces invocation (so does the cantrip friends).

Another thing I like to look at, is if I can get my hands on spells I can potentially combine with a repelling EB. Celestial warlocks can pick wall of fire (or guardian of faith) at level 7, so I would like to pick this spell and also pick the repelling blast invocation.

Rogue 2 will give you cunning action which helps with creating distance from adjacent enemies without spending spell slots. It gives you other useful things too, but it also delays your progression, so you need to think about it. But if you are sure about dipping 1-2 levels, then rogue makes a good candidate for sure.

Misterwhisper
2019-03-08, 10:46 AM
Celestial Tome Locks work very well.

1. Take Half-Elf for the bonus skills and great stats and other bonuses, but really just about any race with a CHA bonus is good.

2. Having an invisible familiar is great for delivering touch attack spells with advantage, and for delivering touch spell healing for you.

3. Eldritch Blast is great all day, every day. Agonizing blast is a great start, past that is just preference, devils sight, repelling blast ect.

4. Elven Accuracy is also great considering you can get mostly reliable advantage with various means.

Rukelnikov
2019-03-08, 11:17 AM
Vhuman Grave Cleric 1/Celestial Lock X

16(15+1)
14(13+1)
16(15+1)

ASI: Res(Con)

The dip grants you better AC, maximizes your healing rolls when healing someone at 0 HP, so it works with your Lock healing, and when you run out of them you can use your BA to stabilize allies from 30 ft afar with Spare the Dying.

It also grants you 3 cleric spells (specifically Bless) you can change every day which is quite a boon with Locks limited spells known.