PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Useful requirement bypass

Hate9
2019-03-08, 11:21 AM
So I was reading through the Rogue Talents recently, and I noticed this option (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/rogue-talents/paizo-rogue-talents/weapon-training).
Now, Weapon Focus is useful, but that's really not why I'm interested in the Talent.

When multiclassing in classes whose levels count as fighter levels, a significant annoyance is that you can't qualify for Advanced Weapon Training without also having the 5 actual fighter levels required to get the Weapon Training class feature. This is also a problem for fighter archetypes which replace the class feature.

Now look again at the Rogue Talent's name: that's right, Weapon Training. You can now take this option as a level 2 rogue, and suddenly you meet a requirement that normally requires 5 fighter levels to satisfy.

But it gets better, because who actually wants to take two rogue levels? That's 1 lower BAB!
Well, you can instead take 2 levels of the Slayer class, and use the Rogue Talent Slayer Talent, instead.

Idk, this seemed useful.

Kris Moonhand
2019-03-08, 01:19 PM
Cute, but no. Look at feats that require weapon training. What do they say? They say "weapon training class feature". Usually "weapon training class feature with [specific kind of weapon]". The Weapon Training rogue talent isn't the weapon training class feature. It's a rogue talent.

That said, if you really want to qualify for those feats, take the Martial Focus feat (https://aonprd.com/FeatDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Martial%20Focus).

Ellrin
2019-03-08, 02:39 PM
The Weapon Training rogue talent isn't the weapon training class feature. It's a rogue talent.

Rogue talents are a class feature, though.

I mean, I wouldn’t allow it in a game I was running, and I think you’d be hard-pressed to find a DM who would, but a sufficiently broad interpretation of RAW could potentially allow it to fly in situations where a weapon group isn’t specified.

Rynjin
2019-03-08, 02:44 PM
Rogue talents are a class feature, though.

Yes, they are.

The Rogue Talent class feature.

There are Rogue Talents that actually grant class features. They always specify "As the X class' class feature", like Ki Pool and Favored Terrain.