PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Which Arcane Tradition is the right fit?

Scott2145
2019-03-08, 06:20 PM
I'm making a forest gnome wizard, but I can't decide on an Arcane Tradition.

In combat, my guy is focused on control, and he has a bit of good-natured trickster in him. (I've never played a wizard, and I'm looking forward to having fun with it.) The party is melee-heavy, but we also have a bard, so that covers face-of-the-party needs.

My guy wants what is best for the realm, and his adventuring is to that end. He wants to do good in the present, but moreover, he is interested in growing in his abilities for the future. The machinations of power in the realm move slowly and yield injustice. He wishes to... guide... things in the right direction. In his ideal future, he will find a worthy ruler of the lands who he might help elevate to the top. He could be a trusted advisor--and one who will do what is necessary when political realities get murky. Still, it is truly the good of the realm that he serves.

So, Arcane Traditions!

Conjuration: Benign Transposition and Focused Conjuration are both especially nice, and I like the idea of being able to teleport, including switching places with someone to get them into an area they otherwise couldn't go. Plus, Minor Conjuration could be useful in social settings.

Enchantment: What politician's friend couldn't use some enchantment? The capstone ability--allowing me to charm without the subject knowing and erase memories--could be particularly useful. That said, I worry about overlap with the Bard.

Illusion: Again, manipulating appearances could make sense. I don't know the DM well though, so I'm a little anxious about how he'll handle illusions.

Anything else: I'm open!

Thanks in advance to any who respond.

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-08, 06:23 PM
Likes to Control?

Bit of a Trickster?

Wants to CHANGE things for the better?

Definitely sounds like a Transmuter to me. It has the most versatile spell list, focused around changing things to control what bad guys can do, with a lot of different effects. Simultaneously a manipulator and problem solver. Makes the classic Wizard Alchemist for the King, who the King has for his counsel.

Conjuration is my second choice, as it's perfect for a melee heavy group, and has a bit of everything, like Transmutation, with a lot of emphasis on Control/Summoning/Mobility than Control/Damage/Utility.

Abjuration is my last suggestion. Abjurers make excellent Anti-Wizards, and that's exactly what a King would want in his pocket. With a group of melee-heavy combatants, you'd be able to protect who you'd need to on a whim. You plan for the long-haul, and you don't do that without using a protection spell or two. Protecting forts with Guards and Wards is a great way of gaining their trust.

djreynolds
2019-03-08, 06:24 PM
I like evocations sculpt spell, it comes in handy

I like abjurations arcane ward

I like divinations divine portent

I like bladesinger also, but you are gnome

Aett_Thorn
2019-03-08, 06:36 PM
Illusion is the obvious choice for a trickster, I feel like. But I don’t think it’s a good fit for this character. Instead, work that aspect into his other abilities instead.

Diviner: use your portents to make you or your party succeed at a great prank or trick at just the right time. Or make sure that somebody falls for the prank. The combat applications are just handy little bonuses.

Transmuter: make your friends big, small, faster, or a T-Rex. Your enemies will never know what to expect out of you, and that’s just the way you like it. Plus, turning wood into silver is a pretty cool party trick, as is turning the iron lock into wood so that you can break it easier.

Scott2145
2019-03-09, 11:36 AM
I love this place. Thank you all for your responses.

ImproperJustice
2019-03-09, 12:43 PM
If it’s not too late:

I agree with all the reasonings of the previous posters.

I would also plug War Wizard. Not because it’s a combat driven mage, but because I think it’s one of the better “generalist” options out there.

That being said, your concept reminds me of Gandalf, and he was totally an Abjurer with some Fighter splashed in.

Scott2145
2019-03-09, 01:07 PM
If it’s not too late:

I agree with all the reasonings of the previous posters.

I would also plug War Wizard. Not because it’s a combat driven mage, but because I think it’s one of the better “generalist” options out there.

That being said, your concept reminds me of Gandalf, and he was totally an Abjurer with some Fighter splashed in.

Not too late! I hadn't really considered the War Wizard, but I'm looking at it now. Though any chance to be more like Gandalf is a certain win.

Xeko
2019-03-09, 01:34 PM
I have little to add. Except that if you do end up going Abjuration, definitely consider the Armor of Agathys spell. I think its warlock exclusive, though, and because warlocks are pretty backstory heavy by their very nature, so multiclassing might not be worth it, as it would probably involve taking your characters plot in a direction you might not want it going down. But, Armor of Agathys, Arcane Ward, and Stone Skin is one of the best defensive combos in the game.

MrStabby
2019-03-09, 01:41 PM
Enchantment is great for control and when you hit level 10 a really fun archetype (high level illusionist is powerful but not always so fun for the rest of the table). Fits my idea of a forest gnome as well.

In terms of ability to exert influence, you have a fantastic role out of combat as well.