PDA

View Full Version : Player Help 6th level divination wizard problem

that_one_kobold
2019-03-08, 08:38 PM
I've been playing around with a divination wizard for a few levels in my current campaign, and once I hit level 6 I seem to have encountered a bit of a problem: I don't actually have any 2nd or 3rd level divination spells!

The ability in question goes like this: "When you cast a divination spell of 2nd level or higher using a spell slot, you regain one expended spell slot. The slot you regain must be of a level lower than the spell you cast and can't be higher than 5th level."

What would you guys recommend as far as viable divination spells above 1st level? I'd be glad to nab a few to make use of a rather potent ability, but I just can't seem to find 'em!

Jelkan
2019-03-08, 08:57 PM
If you're using only the PHB, you'll be limited to these:

2nd Level: Detect Thoughts, Locate Object, See Invisibility
3rd Level: Clairvoyance, Tongues

Of these, See Invisibility is the only obvious one that could help in combat, but it would be situational. The others each have their own, mostly non-combat applications. If you're clever, I'd imagine you could put them to good use.

Xanathar's Guide to Everything has Mind Spike, a 2nd level divination that deals some damage (and can be upcast).

intregus
2019-03-08, 09:23 PM
Mindspike.

Its an ok damage damage spell at level 2 but I use it more for getting those 1st level slots back

Corran
2019-03-09, 02:44 AM
What would you guys recommend as far as viable divination spells above 1st level? I'd be glad to nab a few to make use of a rather potent ability, but I just can't seem to find 'em!
Detect thoughts, clairvoyance, and later on arcane eye and scrying.

MoiMagnus
2019-03-09, 04:16 PM
Full list of official divination spells of lv 2 or more

Lv 2
Detect Thoughts
Mind Spike [from xanathar's guide to everything]
Locate Object
See Invisibility
Augury (Cleric)
Beast Sense (Druid, Ranger)
Find Traps (Cleric, Druid, Ranger)
Locate Animals or Plants (Bard, Druid, Ranger)

Lv 3
Clairvoyance
Tongues

Lv 4
Arcane Eye
Locate Creature
Divination (Cleric)

Lv 5
Contact Other Plane
Legend Lore
Rary's Telepathic Bond
Scrying
Commune (Cleric)
Commune with Nature (Druid, Ranger)

Lv 6
True Seeing
Find the Path (Bard, Cleric, Druid)

Lv 9
Foresight

So with the exception of Mind Spike (which in Xanathar's book) and Foresight (which is a Lv 9 spell), that's mostly useless if you are playing a "door-monster-loot" campaign.
However, you have a ton of good tools for investigations / hunting peoples or objects / spying ...
(Just make sure your DM is ok with you finding short-cut to a quest with a "locate object" or "locate creature", because if your DM doesn't let you use your divination spells for ... well ... divination, then you won't get anything relevant done with them)

You might consider multiclassing, or try to convince your DM to access spells from other classes.