PDA

View Full Version : Running module, but inverted PC roles

Mike Miller
2019-03-09, 10:56 AM
I had an interesting idea while about halfway through my Shackled City campaign. Has anyone ever taken a module and had the PCs take the role of the villains? I feel like there is so much background information for the villains in SCAP that the PCs have no reason to learn about, that a campaign could be made from the perspective of the villains. I bet other modules could be flipped this way, too.

Blackhawk748
2019-03-09, 11:34 AM
I had an interesting idea while about halfway through my Shackled City campaign. Has anyone ever taken a module and had the PCs take the role of the villains? I feel like there is so much background information for the villains in SCAP that the PCs have no reason to learn about, that a campaign could be made from the perspective of the villains. I bet other modules could be flipped this way, too.

Interestingly Kingdoms of Kalamar has specific modules for Evil parties and most of them are rather fun, so this concept has been done before. Though I gotta say, handing the module to the players and telling them "This is your stuff, defend it with what you got" sounds very amusing

Zaq
2019-03-09, 12:56 PM
I own, but have not played, a 2e module called “Reverse Dungeon” that is intended to be exactly that. The players are goblins and similar stereotypical dungeon denizens defending their home from marauding PC-classed humanoids.

I can’t tell you if it’s balanced or not. I’ve read enough 2e books to have a loose grasp of the rules, but I’ve never played that edition, and it’s been a while since I’ve leafed through that specific book. I seem to recall that it felt a little bit shallow, but I might be mistaken. If you happen to find a copy of the book without spending much money, it might give you some ideas? Obviously it’s a different edition, but the concepts might be helpful nevertheless.

Palanan
2019-03-09, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by Blackhawk748
Interestingly Kingdoms of Kalamar has specific modules for Evil parties....

Do you happen to remember the titles of these?

Mike Miller
2019-03-09, 01:22 PM
I own, but have not played, a 2e module called “Reverse Dungeon” that is intended to be exactly that. The players are goblins and similar stereotypical dungeon denizens defending their home from marauding PC-classed humanoids.

I can’t tell you if it’s balanced or not. I’ve read enough 2e books to have a loose grasp of the rules, but I’ve never played that edition, and it’s been a while since I’ve leafed through that specific book. I seem to recall that it felt a little bit shallow, but I might be mistaken. If you happen to find a copy of the book without spending much money, it might give you some ideas? Obviously it’s a different edition, but the concepts might be helpful nevertheless.

I was thinking more along the lines of just running a "normal" module, but giving the PCs the baddies' roles instead of the good guy roles. So, to invert Age of Worms, the PCs would be trying to resurrect Kyuss (or something, haven't actually read that one). Or Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, they would be trying to ... restart the temple / bring on Tharizdun(or something, I forget now).

I was thinking more campaign-long ideas rather than a "defend your dungeon" style game. Lots of modules seem invertable.