PDA

View Full Version : Quick thought: Improvement to 5e Orc

Mith
2019-03-09, 11:07 AM
Hi everyone,

This is just another "chuck an idea out" thread to get other perspectives on it.

An idea I like for 5e races is to have all races have +1 to their relevant stat, but the stat they would have added +2 to they can raise to 22 (and boosts like the Barbarian capstone would then go to 26).

My thought for the Orc is that they keep the -2 (which I may just make a stat cap of 18), and they can raise both Str and Con to 22.

I know stat caps are not supposed to be a thing in 5e, but I feel like it's a logical consequence in how I treat +2s. For kobolds, I would probably do the boost to Dex and Charisma.

This makes them the more reckless attacker, with the Half Orc Relentless being a "modification" of the raw fortitude of the Orc. Not sure what to think of aggressive vs. Savage attacker, as I have my books lent out, so I cannot check wording on things.

I would appreciate any thoughts you may have.

-Mith

Great Dragon
2019-03-10, 11:23 AM
Hi everyone,

This is just another "chuck an idea out" thread to get other perspectives on it.

An idea I like for 5e races is to have all races have +1 to their relevant stat, but the stat they would have added +2 to they can raise to 22 (and boosts like the Barbarian capstone would then go to 26).

The main problem that I forsee here is whether or not Manuals/Tomes or the Deck of Many Things "+2 to a Stat, max 24" add to the above. For example, a +2 Str Manual and a "+2" DoMT could already give a base 24, with the Racial making 26, and the Barbarian Capstone making it 28.

My thought for the Orc is that they keep the -2 (which I may just make a stat cap of 18), and they can raise both Str and Con to 22.

I know stat caps are not supposed to be a thing in 5e, but I feel like it's a logical consequence in how I treat +2s. For kobolds, I would probably do the boost to Dex and Charisma.

This makes them the more reckless attacker, with the Half Orc Relentless being a "modification" of the raw fortitude of the Orc.

Not sure what to think of aggressive vs. Savage attacker, as I have my books lent out, so I cannot check wording on things.

I would appreciate any thoughts you may have.

-Mith

Out of Time - Will add more later.

Dienekes
2019-03-10, 11:36 AM
A higher cap by +1 modifier is probably not that big of a deal in the long run.

However, I can see players over analyzing this and trying to use Orc to max out everything really early. So I’d probably put something like “At 12th level, [race]’s maximum ability score in [main ability] can be increased to 22 instead of 20.”

I don’t think this would actually change the balance that much, but would likely get players not to focus on it as much.

Great Dragon
2019-03-10, 12:17 PM
A higher cap by +1 modifier is probably not that big of a deal in the long run.

However, I can see players over analyzing this and trying to use Orc to max out everything really early. So I’d probably put something like “At 12th level, [race]’s maximum ability score in [main ability] can be increased to 22 instead of 20.”

I don’t think this would actually change the balance that much, but would likely get players not to focus on it as much.

Right.
Also, I thought of if you gave the Level 20 Ability 26 as a Base, and then added the Manual/DoMT bonuses = Str 30 (and Con?)

While being able to slightly out-do a Storm Giant in Str is a little over the top, as long as you (as the DM) are prepared for it, it's all good.