PDA

View Full Version : Optimization bonus actions for a paladin

mealar
2019-03-09, 03:31 PM
background,
i am currently playing a pala6/sorc1 and its going pretty well but i feel like i'm barely using my bonus action. all my spells and lay on hands and features use my main action and atm i think misty step is my only spell that could be a bonus action.

what i'm looking for is any advice on what sort of things i could use my bonus action for and how useful they are

for background i use a 1h weapon + shield, i'm an oath of the ancients Pala and took a lvl of divine sorcerer so i have both Sorc and Cleric spell list

Frozenstep
2019-03-09, 03:36 PM
Sounds like you could use the shield master feat.

Shield Master

You use shields not just for protection but also for offense. You gain the following benefits while you are wielding a shield:

If you take the Attack action on your turn, you can use a bonus action to try to shove a creature within 5 feet of you with your shield.

If you aren't incapacitated, you can add your shield's AC bonus to any Dexterity saving throw you make against a spell or other harmful effect that targets only you.

If you are subjected to an effect that allows you to make a Dexterity saving throw to take only half damage, you can use your reaction to take no damage if you succeed on the saving throw, interposing your shield between yourself and the source of the effect.

Depending on how your DM rules it, you can either attempt to set up your teammates for advantage, or do that and give yourself advantage (great for crit fishing for smiting).

Contrast
2019-03-09, 03:53 PM
Depending on how your DM rules it, you can either attempt to set up your teammates for advantage, or do that and give yourself advantage (great for crit fishing for smiting).

For clarity this relates to if you can use the bonus action shove before or after you attack. For a long time the advice was that you could shove before attacking as long as you declared the attack first. They changed the advice a while ago so that you needed to attack first (which makes the shove less useful as you can't benefit from it yourself and depending on initiative order they may just stand up again before anything does anything).

If your DM lets you attack after shoving then Shield Master is great. If not its still decent as the defensive buffs are nice anyway.

Another option would be using a spear or quarterstaff one handed and picking up polearm mastery.

Another thing is just carrying on your build without using bonus actions :smallbiggrin: it's not the end of the world. If you have Misty Step I assume Ancients so you have Ensnaring Strike as well. Magic Weapon is also good if you haven't picked up a magic weapon of some sort yet. Did you go Divine Sorc - having Healing Word available is good.

Trampaige
2019-03-09, 04:07 PM
The obvious ones are polearm master and bonus attack with a spear/quarterstaff (which will also allow you to make a lot of reaction attacks, too) and quicken spell to throw out booming or green flame blades. Both also allow you to burst out more smites for nova potential. Both are 2-3 levels away, but fairly standard. It's hard to get regular use of bonus actions without feat or resource commitment.

OverLordOcelot
2019-03-09, 04:12 PM
Another option would be using a spear or quarterstaff one handed and picking up polearm mastery.

One thing to think about with polearm mastery on a paladin multiclassed like you are is that you can use caster staves with it. Depending on how magical your campaign is, this can really boost your capabilities.

Makorel
2019-03-09, 04:24 PM
Misty Step is a good bonus action.

The Smite spells also have their uses. My favorite so far is Wrathful Smite because if they fail the initial save then to get out of being frightened they need to spend their whole action to make a Wisdom check and at disadvantage too since fear gives disadvantage on ability checks. It sticks a bit more readily than some other multiple save spells. Branding Smite is also useful for being usable on a ranged attack.

I'm a big fan of Shield of Faith. I use this one on my Paladin that I've managed to get a +2 Shield and +2 Armor on so that my AC can go even higher. More AC is always good.

Compelled Duel is another good spell. Easy noncommittal way to get a guy off your squishy boy, and it can also potentially prevent runners from escaping. Pair it with PAM so that enemies are compelled to run into you and take your reaction attack.

Corran
2019-03-09, 04:46 PM
background,
i am currently playing a pala6/sorc1 and its going pretty well but i feel like i'm barely using my bonus action. all my spells and lay on hands and features use my main action and atm i think misty step is my only spell that could be a bonus action.

what i'm looking for is any advice on what sort of things i could use my bonus action for and how useful they are

for background i use a 1h weapon + shield, i'm an oath of the ancients Pala and took a lvl of divine sorcerer so i have both Sorc and Cleric spell list
Wrathful smite, shield of faith, branding smite are some other options. Healing word and sanctuary from ds.
Later on you will have quicken too.

But if you want more consistent use of your bonus action, pick spiritual weapon when you hit the 3rd sorc level.

mealar
2019-03-09, 05:11 PM
Wrathful smite, shield of faith, branding smite are some other options. Healing word and sanctuary from ds.
Later on you will have quicken too.

But if you want more consistent use of your bonus action, pick spiritual weapon when you hit the 3rd sorc level.

had thought of this and quite keen,1 question why lvl 3 Sorc?

i thought with multi-classing i combined my spell slots so even though i only have 1 lvl in sorc i have 3rd lvl slots from my combined lvls so i can take lvl 3 cleric spells as i have "a spell slot available of that level"

Corran
2019-03-09, 05:20 PM
had thought of this and quite keen,1 question why lvl 3 Sorc?

i thought with multi-classing i combined my spell slots so even though i only have 1 lvl in sorc i have 3rd lvl slots from my combined lvls so i can take lvl 3 cleric spells as i have "a spell slot available of that level"
You determine what spells you have access to (to prepare or to learn) for each class separately. AFB right now so I can't quote the exact passage, but you will find this info in the PHB's multiclassing section just before the feats.

Arial Black
2019-03-10, 04:22 AM
My current PC is a half-elf Ancients paladin, level 5.

With my Cha 16 I can prepare 5 spells of my choice, plus 4 from my oath, total = 9.

My list of spells prepared is currently:-

1st: ensnaring strike, speak with animals, compelled duel, divine favour

2nd: misty step, moonbeam, branding smite, find steed, magic weapon

Six out of nine are bonus action spells. It's rare to have a round where I don't have a bonus action!

My next character concept will be to get to level 5 in some class that gets Extra Attack (or bladepact warlock), then get 3 levels of sorcerer (probably Divine Soul) to get Quicken. The point is to make sure my action is used to attack twice and my bonus action is spent every round casting (or controlling) a spell! When I get to level 5/5 I will attack twice per round, cast a non-concentration bonus action spell every round (or control spiritual weapon), while projecting a field that dissolves my enemies and leaving my friends unharmed by concentrating on spirit guardians!

And here you are, playing a multiclass Ancients paladin/Divine Soul sorcerer, feeling like you barely use your bonus action???? :smallsmile:

stoutstien
2019-03-10, 02:04 PM
Wrathful smite is never a bad use of your bonus action if the target isn't immune to fear which is a surprising amount of NPCs

Aussiehams
2019-03-10, 04:51 PM
Wrathful smite is never a bad use of your bonus action if the target isn't immune to fear which is a surprising amount of NPCs
I think it is if it means you need to drop Shield of faith/bless etc. Being concentration means I never seem to use the smite spells.

stoutstien
2019-03-10, 05:04 PM
I think it is if it means you need to drop Shield of faith/bless etc. Being concentration means I never seem to use the smite spells.
Bless is always hard to win against especially if you the only party member who has it but some times having a target trying to beat a Wis check vs your save DC is more powerful seeing how frightened gives them disadvantage on ablity checks and attack rolls.
I think sanctuary is a solid spell to keep on tap also.

Foxhound438
2019-03-10, 05:26 PM
note you do get ensnaring strike on your oath spell list, which is basically just as good as wrathful smite or better on a different save+check type.

But for an easy, consistent, and free way to use your bonus action, PAM+shield with a quarterstaff is pretty good.