PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Practicality of Mounted Combat? (Horse Archers, Cavalrymen)

MonkeySage
2019-03-09, 06:15 PM
As awesome as this build would be, I'm wondering if it's practical for an adventurer to capitalize on mounted combat when many adventures take place in restrictive spaces.

Zaq
2019-03-09, 06:50 PM
The mounted combat rules tend to be on the obnoxious side, but it's not completely impossible to play a character like this effectively.

Part of the challenge comes from making sure your mount doesn't die because then you lose all your mounted tricks that you've invested resources in, so either getting a mount that's really hard to kill or else getting the ability to generate a new mount when yours croaks is a good start.

The "restrictive spaces" issue you mentioned is often addressed by being smaller than a human. A halfling or gnome on a riding dog or a warpony, for example, takes up no more combat space than a human does. This at least saves you the headache of trying to maneuver around a Large critter on a battlefield that's not intended for Large critters (while dealing with the mounted combat rules and their pseudo-quantum "you're in all of the mount's spaces simultaneously" bits, no less).

Whether you've got enough space on the map at all to even bother with the benefits of being mounted (typically you ride something faster than you could go on foot, after all) is another matter; I find that in my experience, even dungeon crawls typically have enough space to make being faster than average worthwhile (if for no other reason than to prevent small burst spells from enveloping the entire battle), but whether you'll have enough room to do all kinds of fancy charging and stuff is really up to your GM's style.

gorfnab
2019-03-09, 08:00 PM
Halflings on medium sized mounts can do quite well in normal size dungeons. Here's a build that can work quite well.

LG Strongheart Halfling
1. Paladin - Mounted Combat, Track (prereq for Devoted Tracker)
2. Paladin
3. Paladin - Skill Focus: Handle Animal (prereq for Beast Master)
4. Paladin
5. Paladin
6. Beastmaster - Devoted Tracker
7. Beastmaster
8. Wild Plains Outrider
9. Wild Plains Outrider - Mounted Archery (prereq for Halfling Outrider)
10. Wild Plains Outrider
11. Halfling Outrider
12. Halfling Outrider - Natural Bond
13. Halfling Outrider
14. Halfling Outrider
15. Halfling Outrider - Ride By Attack (or some other feat)
16. Halfling Outrider
17. Halfling Outrider
18. Halfling Outrider - Spirited Charge (or some other feat)
19. Halfling Outrider
20. Halfling Outrider

Devoted Tracker - Special Mount/Animal Companion math:
Special Mount at 20th level: 18th level Paladin = Paladin 5 + Wild Plains 3 + Half-Out 10
Animal Companion at 20th level: 18th level Druid = Beast Master 5 + Natural Bond 3 + Half-Out 10

If flaws are available squeeze in Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot at first level.

Eladrinblade
2019-03-10, 12:06 AM
Horses and similar creatures are very impractical in dungeons. Stairs, ladders, low ceilings, tight corners (tight spaces period), slippery/angled floors, not enough room to really make it worthwhile. If your campaign spends a fair amount of time and action outside, sure. If your mount is like a giant climbing gecko or something, sure. If you can summon it and send it back often or even at will, sure. Otherwise get confirmation from the DM first.

Vizzerdrix
2019-03-10, 12:39 AM
Halflings on medium sized mounts can do quite well in normal size dungeons. Here's a build that can work quite well.

I've always liked putting a halfling druid on a watchspider for mounted builds.

SpicyBoi_Nezu
2019-03-25, 10:43 AM
The way I solved this mystery, was for me to have my friend play a Human Druid, and for me to play a halfling fighter. I rode his animal companion until he hit level 5. There's no issue with narrow hallways, or ladders, or ropes, because my mount could just turn into a human whenever we encountered those things.

I played a Halfling Fighter, and eventually classed into halfling Outrider, and my friend, played a very buff heavy druid, where he could constantly be spitting out Range/Damage increases for me, and we would essentially keep our 60ft+ distance, becoming an unstoppable combo.

But that requires you to get another member of your party to join in on your Shenanigans, so make sure to plan ahead.

I also recommend fleshraker as the animal companion once he reaches the sufficient level, because those things are ridiculous.

Eldariel
2019-03-25, 10:51 AM
You can always make it work but yeah, depends on the campaign. Getting free move actions is awesome as a rule though, so as long as you have a decent mount, you're good.