PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Handy Trident Feature

Pleh
2019-03-09, 10:00 PM
Never noticed this before.

I was playing around with a character concept built around kind of an upgraded Dwarven Defender style, similar to old Phalanx style fighting.

One of the things I really wanted was to have them use the Spear end of an Urgosh to brace against a charge for double damage, but I was finding the weapons that can be set against a charge tend to require two hands, which rules out the use of the best shields. I started looking for One Handed weapons that could be set against a charge for double damage and sure enough, it's the Trident.

I should add that I'm only looking at the PHB atm, so I dunno if other books add other weapons with this unique combo, but it's super interesting to me, since I figured Tridents were only really included for the aquatic character cliches, but sure enough they have a unique mechanical niche I had never noticed before. They're the only One handed weapon that can be set against a charge.

Zaq
2019-03-09, 10:27 PM
Huh. That's kind of neat.

To be honest, I'm pretty sure I have literally never seen the "ready against a charge" rules used in actual play. Ever. But hey, unique niches are still fun avenues of optimization.

Eladrinblade
2019-03-10, 12:02 AM
but it's super interesting to me, since I figured Tridents were only really included for the aquatic character cliches, but sure enough they have a unique mechanical niche I had never noticed before. They're the only One handed weapon that can be set against a charge.

All the weapons in the PHB have a niche like that.

Pleh
2019-03-10, 07:13 AM
All the weapons in the PHB have a niche like that.

That makes sense, but some of those mechanical niches are less obvious than others. I never found this aspect of the trident after 10 years playing this edition until I needed exactly the niche that it fills.

EDIT

Huh. That's kind of neat.

To be honest, I'm pretty sure I have literally never seen the "ready against a charge" rules used in actual play. Ever. But hey, unique niches are still fun avenues of optimization.

It does seem like a rather unoptimal strategy, to be fair. You have to be fairly certain your enemies will charge to within 5ft, since the weapon has no reach. Then you have to ready your action, which the enemy could easily see and change tactics.

But the flip side is that the trident is cheap enough to keep as a sidearm. If you're a tactical weapon user with quick draw and power attack, you could move to put your primary weapon away, free action draw trident, then ready standard against an anticipated charge. Considering you wanted a one handed brace against charge weapon, you wanted the other hand free to hold something, so you're using a shield or TWF. Enemy charges, moves within 5ft and triggers your readied action to melee attack at double damage, so why not power attack since you've got that handy damage multiplier (you don't normally enjoy as the multitasker you are)? You can use quick draw to switch rapidly back to your primary weapon, as you likely prefer.

One thing it makes me think of is merfolk vs sharks. Most of the sharks in D&D are absolutely charging type foes and animal level intelligence. Sure, merfolk could have a polearm instead of the trident, but that ability to use a Tower Shield while bracing against a charge, though.