PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next 5e midrange Demon design.

Legokeiki
2019-03-09, 10:54 PM
I'm planning on using this guy against my party sometime in the near future, as a guardian to a relic that the party needs to obtain. Would this be a fair fight for a party of six level 5 players? I'm fully expecting a potential death or two, but I don't want a TPK. The party has a few more magic items than they ought to for their level, but none particularly powerful that I think it would tip the balance too much in their favor.

Also, I'd like feedback on the creature in general.

Thanks!

Halkor
Huge fiend (demon), neutral evil

Armor Class 16 (natural armor)
Hit Points 168 (16d12 + 64)
Speed 40ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
18 (+4) 11 (+0) 18 (+4) 13 (+1) 20 (+5) 16 (+3)
Saving Throws Dex +5, Con +9, Cha +8
Skills Intimidation +11, Perception +15
Damage Resistances cold, fire, lightning; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing that is nonmagical
Damage Immunities poison
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened, poisoned
Senses darkvision 120 ft., passive Perception 25
Languages Common, Abyssal, telepathy 120 ft.
Challenge 11 (7,200 XP)

Innate Spellcasting. The halkor's innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 16). It can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:

At will: detect magic

3/day each: hold person, counterspell

Magic Resistance. The halkor has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Many Eyed. The halkor has advantage on perception checks relying on sight. While blinded, the halkor cannot use its occular blast.

Actions

Multiattack. The halkor makes three attacks: two with its claws, and one with its eye ray. It can use its bite in place of a claw attack, and it can cast a spell in place of its eye ray.

Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +9 to hit, reach 10ft., one target. Hit 15 (3d6 + 4) slashing damage.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +9 to hit, reach 5ft., one target. Hit 22 (4d8 + 4) piercing damage.

Eye Ray. Ranged Spell Attack: +10 to hit, range 120ft., one target. Hit: 22 (4d10) force damage.

Occular Blast (Recharge 5-6). The halkor uses one the following occular blast options.

1. Beam Field. All creatures within a 60 foot cone must succeed on a DC 18 Dexterity saving throw, or take 22 (4d10) force damage.

2. Focused Blast. One creature within 10 feet must make a DC 18 Constitution saving throw, taking 66 (12d10) force damage on a failure, or half as much on a success.

3. Split Ray. Two creatures within 120 feet must make a DC 18 Dexterity saving throw, or take 33 (6d10) force damage.

Strategy

The halkor opens combat with its Occular Blast, using whichever option is most effective for the number of enemies it can hit.

Once the halkor has determined the most dangerous foes, it will attempt to down them, using normal attacks and Focused Blast whenever possible. If an opponent is being particularly troublesome, the halkor will cast hold person on them before focusing its attacks on the individual.

The halkor will save its reaction for counterspell, only using it for something else in an emergency, or if it knows there are no dangerous spellcasters among its opponents. Additionally, the halkor might save its reaction to protect its sight, if it knows its enemies have a method to blind it.

If enemy backliners are causing the halkor the most strife, and it cannot safely reach them, it might opt to use eye ray Split Ray to harrass them.

If things start going south for the halkor, it will retreat, covering itself with eye rays, as well as Split Ray or Beam Field whenever possible. If the pursuers are few in number, the halkor might attempt to stop one of them with hold person.

Halkors fight well in areas with any amount of cover, able to snipe ranged foes with eye ray or Split Ray, while also being capable of devastating close ranged damage with Focused Blast, as well as its claw and bite attacks.

Legokeiki
2019-03-10, 11:24 PM
Also, should this be a fight for fresh players, or after they’ve been worn down a bit?