PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Homebrew 5e feats

Legokeiki
2019-03-09, 11:00 PM
A couple of weeks back, a player in my group asked me if I could homebrew some feats for the more exotic races in 5e. I did so, and also added a few for characters of any race. I'd like some balancing advice, since I think a few of them might be either broken, or easy to abuse.

Any feedback is welcome, Thanks in advance!

Feat list (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rJWzETC58V)

Old Feat list (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rJWzETC58V)

Legokeiki
2019-03-10, 11:22 PM
Would love some feedback on this. Is the link non-functional or something?

Amechra
2019-03-11, 02:52 AM
It works. There's quite a bit to read through, though.

I will point out that Deceptive Bladework and Dagger Mastery are broken in combination with, say, Monks.

KittenMagician
2019-03-11, 08:11 PM
as far as the race based ones some feel quite heavy handed and seem to have a little favoritism (aasimar) while others seem practically useless (triton). i would take each race and make 2 for them much as you would find in the race feats section of xanathar's guide to everything. some of them are way to complicated (yuan-ti, evil aasimar, vampire, shifter, and goblinoids). some are a little too powerful and would make me choose a race just to get a specific feet (githyanki)

im not trying to say that they are all bad and there are some truly great ones mixed in, namely those for the tabaxi, goliath, kobold, martial strength and bloodlust. i like all of these.

there are a few that feel lack luster or unfinished. if boundless only allows you maximum in 1 ability score to now have a max of 22 but you then have to wait til your next ASI to use it (not getting a feat) it just doesnt feel worth it. there is potential but it needs polish. your sniper feat is eh at best and is remarkably worse than sharpshooter found in the PHB.

my advice for race feats where the race has multiple sub races, just make the feat target the race as a whole rather than trying to make it nitpick each subraces individual ability. the only time i think you should really make a subrace its own individual feats is in the case where they are from a lore stand point very different (namely high elves, wood elves, and drow) (also githzerai and githyanki)

for each of your feats for a race think about "what class would this race be if the best wanted to utilize this feat?" if the answer is 2 or 3 different classes then i dont think its a good feat. the githyanki feat as you have it is geared towards barbarians, fighters, and paladins. but if im a githyanki wizard or sorcerer then i would never take it and therefore this feat is lost to me.

most of your feats speak greatly of potential just take a little time and think about breaking them to the best of your ability and then tone down or tone up

Dragons_Ire
2019-03-11, 09:04 PM
The Aasimar feats are quite strong. The Lizardfolk feat feels pretty weak.

RingoBongo
2019-03-18, 09:42 PM
The Aasimar feats are quite strong. The Lizardfolk feat feels pretty weak.

Maybe if you added another hungry jaws use per short or long rest.... As a caster it's neat to be able to cast a spell then bite in the same turn. As a melee class it's nice to get some hp back as you near the front. But it's sad that it's only one per short or long rest.

I'm actually petitioning something similar to my DM for more hungry jaws.

As a feat I would prefer:
-added hungry jaw usage at certain character levels.
- increased damage die at certain character levels.
- somehow increasing slightly the HP heal from a hungry jaws attack in a simple way.

(Dropping the bite use as a consistent bonus action)

KittenMagician
2019-03-19, 09:33 PM
Maybe if you added another hungry jaws use per short or long rest.... As a caster it's neat to be able to cast a spell then bite in the same turn. As a melee class it's nice to get some hp back as you near the front. But it's sad that it's only one per short or long rest.

I'm actually petitioning something similar to my DM for more hungry jaws.

As a feat I would prefer:
-added hungry jaw usage at certain character levels.
- increased damage die at certain character levels.
- somehow increasing slightly the HP heal from a hungry jaws attack in a simple way.

(Dropping the bite use as a consistent bonus action)

it doesnt give health back. it gives temporary hitpoints which in some cases can be better.

Legokeiki
2019-08-25, 03:27 PM
I’ve updated the feat list. I think everything should be much more balanced now.

Reynaerde
2019-08-28, 03:20 PM
If my changeling uses Unsettling Visage and moves 5 feet away from her/his attacker with Masterful Shifter, does this mean the triggering attack misses automatically now?

BerzerkerUnit
2019-08-29, 11:07 PM
Angelic Smite- feels redundant with default Volos aasimar racials (1 minute add level in radiant damage/Necrotic for the fallen)

Wrath of Heaven feels just right.

Flying Ace is interesting, would that include concentration checks on the spell?

Oceans Champion is busted by half. Make it last a minute and allow you to grant yourself advantage for 1 turn during that minute. It’s like Vengeance Paladin Channel divinity but over 9000.

Bestial Might- Wild Hunt Astral Self Monk. Advantage on all 4 or 5 or 6 of your attacks for 2 minutes per rest? Sign me up.

Pneumatic arms- bonus action to “charge” for advantage on checks, reaction to get advantage on saves. The rest is fine as is.

Durable is probably too good for most games as slashing tends to be King in melee or piecing if you stay at range.

Cardmaster-does the Expertise apply to attacks made with the cards?

Origami’s is an awesome feat and let no one tell you any different. I have a race of Shikigami in my Tiny Heroes supplement but their Origami is much stronger. Give it a look if you like.

Magic Artillerist looks fun but the limit on targets and damage scaling is really bad.

Martial Strength either does nothing or breaks the game. Dueling fighting style with a great axe seems much.

Last Stand- I’d make this a two stage feat. Boost the listed benefit even higher, allow it to be triggered at half HP if desired, but becomes another feat or the attribute bonus after you’ve used it.