View Full Version : Does Illusionary Reality rely on the source spell being maintained?

Aquillion
2019-03-09, 11:37 PM
Illusionary Reality says that:

When you cast an illusion spell of 1st level or higher, you can choose one inanimate, nonmagical object that is part of the illusion and make that object real. You can do this on your turn as a bonus action while the spell is ongoing. The object remains real for 1 minute. For example, you can create an illusion of a bridge over a chasm and then make it real long enough for your allies to cross.

The object can't deal damage or otherwise directly harm anyone.

If I cast a Silent Image of a cage around someone, then immediately end concentration on Silent Image, does the cage remain real for the rest of its minute? Or does it wink out when Silent Image does? What if the illusion is dispelled? What if I make an object real one round before the illusion's duration ends?

My reading is that once it makes the object real, it's actually real for Illusionary Image's one-minute duration; it's no longer an illusion and, therefore, no longer dependent on concentration, no longer subject to being dispelled, and so on, and it now follows Illusionary Reality's duration and not the source spell's.

Related questions:

What happens when Illusionary Reality's duration expires? Does the object go back to being an illusion, or does it wink out of existence? What if (depending on your answer to the above) the source illusion spell has expired somehow in the meantime?

Finally, tangential question - how does Illusionary Reality work with Phantasmal Force? A Phantasmal Force can only be seen by the spell's target. When I use Illusionary Reality with it, does the object suddenly seem to wink into existence for everyone else? Illusionary Reality specifies that the object itself cannot do damage, but does Phantasmal Force retain its ability to do damage (effectively, indirectly) as long as the target is near the now-real object? After all, the object wasn't really doing the damage in the first place.

Segev
2019-03-10, 02:08 AM
It probably should last the whole minute; it’s a 14th level class feature. But the answer here is “ask your DM.” The RAW could be interpreted either way.

Phantasmal Force interacts weirdly. You can’t use Illusory Reality on an illusion you can’t see, but you can use it on a Phantasmal Force you cast on yourself. Beyond that, it is again up to your DM, but I am amused by there being a bridge, horse, ladder, or similar that only you can perceive and interact with, but is actually real for you.

Tanarii
2019-03-10, 02:46 AM
Huh. I'd always assumed it was "while the spell is ongoing" and would end if you ended concentration. But that clause seems to be specific to the use of the bonus action.

JoeJ
2019-03-10, 02:47 AM
It probably should last the whole minute; it’s a 14th level class feature. But the answer here is “ask your DM.” The RAW could be interpreted either way.

Phantasmal Force interacts weirdly. You can’t use Illusory Reality on an illusion you can’t see, but you can use it on a Phantasmal Force you cast on yourself. Beyond that, it is again up to your DM, but I am amused by there being a bridge, horse, ladder, or similar that only you can perceive and interact with, but is actually real for you.

My new mime trick: climbing an invisible ladder.

Aquillion
2019-03-10, 03:46 AM
Phantasmal Force interacts weirdly. You can’t use Illusory Reality on an illusion you can’t seeYou're thinking of Malleable Illusions (which does have that requirement.) Illusionary Reality, at least as written, doesn't require that you see it... although in some cases, depending on what you did with Phantasmal Force, this could leave you in a situation where you don't know what, precisely, you're making real, since outside of stuff you mentioned in the initial setup you don't know exactly what the illusion did after you created it, ie. if your illusion was a giant boulder that chased the target around, you won't know its precise location.

OvisCaedo
2019-03-10, 03:56 AM
Huh. I think this is also the first time I've noticed that the ability also doesn't have any clause about not being allowed to use the reality'd object as a material component for spells, though they'd have to be under a minute cast time. That might rule out a lot of the cases where trying to do something cheeky like this could apply.