PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder This is a REALLY bad idea, I know.... But I think I can pull it off

Eldonauran
2019-03-10, 03:15 PM
Hello, Playground!

I've decided to make a very "unlikely" PC for the Tyrant's Grasp campaign. Since it is going to be "survival horror", I've decided to give myself a severe handicap just to challenge myself. Here goes:

I'm going to be playing a venerable Barbarian who is so "old" that he's started to have delusions. The strongest of which is that he is a wizard. He had previously been an adventurer and been living off his rewards for the last hundred years (or so) until the events of the campaign come crashing down. We are going to be using the "Spring Rage" rage power to offset age penalties in combat when we cast our "Fist of Rage" spell.

Starting Level is still going to be level 1.

My thoughts so far:
Angelkin Aasimar (Scion of Humanity)
Str 10 (16-6), Dex 10 (16-6), Con 10 (16-6), Int 14 (11+3), Wis 16 (13+3), Cha 16 (13+3)
Feat: Additional Traits
Traits: Rich Parents, Ancrestral Weapon (quarterstaff), Arcane Scholar (Spellcraft), The Snoop, Dangerously Curious (Pride Drawback).

Classes: Barbarian 18 (savage, flesheater), Kineticist 2 (Elemental Ascetic), VMC Wizard (Foresight)
Favored Class bonuses: Most go into +1/3 to superstition, others into skill points

I am planning to model the character somewhat after Master Roshi from the dragon ball z series, which is why I am taking the two kineticist levels. Progression is most likely going to be Barbarian 4, Kineticist 2, Barbarian 14. Feats are probably going to be Power Attack, Elemental Ki, Pummeling Style, Extra Rage Power x2. Rage powers I want: Spring Rage (Retrain @ Level 20 once we have Immortality), Superstition, Reckless Abandon, Savage Intuition, and Eater of Magic.

As far as "acting" like a wizard, that will probably only last until level 5 or 6. To that end, I was thinking about investing in partially charged wands and scrolls. Since the character is going to be 250+ years old, he should have had the time to accumulate the items without much trouble. I never intend to actually wear armor.

Any advice, tips, tricks you might offer? I am sure I have not accounted for everything I need to worry about. I am quite sure that I want to play this character and won't be dissuaded from it. Hopefully we can have share constructive ideas and have less criticism.

Thank you!

Kurald Galain
2019-03-10, 03:51 PM
A raging character with Roshi-like powers... why not play a Bloodrager (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/bloodrager/)? Using e.g. Snowball or Scorching Ray for your kamehameha is going to be much stronger than two levels of kinny... and this way, you can fit in his flash step / teleportation powers, or other magical abilities you might think of.

Eldonauran
2019-03-10, 04:06 PM
Bloodrager might be an option, if we use Primalist, but I am not actually intending the character to cast actual spells outside of using scrolls or wands (remember, he's old and delusional). I'm not trying to mimic much from Roshi except for the "old man suddenly becomes buff" and knows some martial arts. The Kineticist levels are intended to get flurry, extra unarmed damage (1d6 bludgeoning), kinetic fist, and wisdom to AC. And the faux-Ki pool through burn (Elemental Ki).