PDA

View Full Version : Erudite Shenanigans

Gwyllgi
2019-03-11, 02:12 AM
Okay let's assume that I have a STP, Magic Mantle, Psionic Erudite. What counts as magic? Is does it include stances?

The Kool
2019-03-11, 08:23 AM
Usually no, stances are explicitly not magic unless the maneuver itself is called out as being otherwise. Many maneuvers are Supernatural abilities, and each one will identify itself as such if it is.

Crichton
2019-03-11, 10:28 AM
Remind me again why you'd want Magic Mantle on your StP Erudite? My limited understanding was that people did that because with a 'loose' reading of 'you always treat magic and psionics as identical' they thought they could use metamagic on their powers, but StP Erudites have a specific line of text prohibiting that, so... What other supposed benefit would they get from Magic Mantle?

Troacctid
2019-03-11, 05:59 PM
All spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities are considered magical. Natural and extraordinary abilities are not. Some stances are (Su), but all others are (Ex) unless otherwise stated.

DMVerdandi
2019-03-12, 05:14 PM
Remind me again why you'd want Magic Mantle on your StP Erudite? My limited understanding was that people did that because with a 'loose' reading of 'you always treat magic and psionics as identical' they thought they could use metamagic on their powers, but StP Erudites have a specific line of text prohibiting that, so... What other supposed benefit would they get from Magic Mantle?

Agreed. What is the need?

Go to magic R us, grab necessary scrolls, or sylar them out of people's heads, manifest as desired.
Persistent power was not updated to 3.5, so as per RAW, it carries over as printed. Grab it, a couple other metapsionic feats and profit.

Crichton
2019-03-12, 06:44 PM
Agreed. What is the need?

Go to magic R us, grab necessary scrolls, or sylar them out of people's heads, manifest as desired.
Persistent power was not updated to 3.5, so as per RAW, it carries over as printed. Grab it, a couple other metapsionic feats and profit.

That was my take, too. Just didn't know if those who hold to Magic Mantle being some kind of 'super-transparency' had some specific benefits in mind, other than metamagic, which doesn't work for Erudites.

Rebel7284
2019-03-13, 06:33 AM
While the magic mantle is awkwardly worded, it also makes it clear that the intent was to enforce psionic/magic transparency in games that play with "psionics is different".

Anyways, as far as shenanigans, Mental Pinnacle. Gives you a bunch of temporary power points and a few nice powers. Use the power points to manifest whatever you want, then use the remaining power points to re-manifest Mental Pinnacle. You can keep dozens of powers going at all times if you keep this up all day, effectively having infinite power points. Note that you need to pay two extra power points to manifest Mental Pinnacle to replace the expensive material component.

For maximum shenanigans also use Linked Power to ignore your unique powers per day.

magic9mushroom
2019-03-13, 07:18 AM
Okay let's assume that I have a STP, Magic Mantle, Psionic Erudite. What counts as magic? Is does it include stances?

Most stances are not magic.

Also, StP Erudite can only convert arcane spells into powers. Why does it matter what counts as magic?

Anyways, as far as shenanigans, Mental Pinnacle. Gives you a bunch of temporary power points and a few nice powers. Use the power points to manifest whatever you want, then use the remaining power points to re-manifest Mental Pinnacle. You can keep dozens of powers going at all times if you keep this up all day, effectively having infinite power points. Note that you need to pay two extra power points to manifest Mental Pinnacle to replace the expensive material component.

Yes and no. This depends on the reading of what happens to your PP when Mental Pinnacle ends. There are two RAW readings and one RAMS reading I can see:

1) You lose (extra PP - spent PP).
2) You lose all PP.
3) (RAMS) You lose (extra PP), to a minimum of zero.

Only reading 1) lets you Win At Psionics.