PDA

View Full Version : Elder Lich [Epic Prestige Class]

Maerok
2007-09-29, 03:02 AM
Elder Lich

Requirements:
Template: Lich, Good Lich, or Lich Transformation class ability
Skills: Know Arcane/Religion/Planes (pick two) - 23 ranks; Spellcraft - 23 ranks
Spellcasting: Capable of casting epic spells
Feats: Greater Spell Focus (Necromancy)
Other: Must have traveled to the Astral Plane

HD: d12

Skills: The elder lich’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).

Skill Points: 2 + Int Modifier

{table=head]Level|Special

1st|Continued Spellcasting; Innate Magic

2nd|Bulwark of Undeath (Turning)

3rd|Bonus Feat

4th|Bulwark of Undeath (Epic)

5th|Timeless Touch

6th|Bonus Feat

7th|Bulwark of Undeath (Resistance)

8th|Bulwark of Undeath (Epic and Bludgeoning)

9th|-

10th|Demilich Transformation[/table]

Elder Lich Travels: As part of advancing through the elder lich epic prestige class, the elder lich must make a trip to the Astral Plane for 1d12 months of study before it can take another level of this class.

Continued Spellcasting: The elder lich gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if he or she had also gained a level in a spellcasting class to which he or she belonged before adding the prestige class level. If already an epic spellcaster, the character gains only the benefit noted under the Spells entry for that epic class. He or she does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If the character had more than one spellcasting class before becoming an elder lich, the player must decide to which class to add the new level for the purpose of determining spells per day.

Innate Magic: At each level, choose on of the Demilich's at will abilities; the elder lich may use that spell-like ability twice per day. Choosing summon monster uses the seventh level version, summon monster VII.

Bulwark of Undeath (Turning): Add twice the elder lich's class levels to its turn resistance.

Bulwark of Undeath (Epic): The elder lich's damage reduction of 15/magic and bludgeoning becomes 15/epic.

Timeless Touch: The elder lich's touch attack deals 1d6+2 damage per class level.

Bulwark of Undeath (Resistance): The elder lich gains resistance to acid, fire, and sonic equal to twice its class level.

Bulwark of Undeath (Epic and Bludgeoning): The elder lich's damage reduction of 15/epic becomes 15/epic and bludgeoning.

Demilich Transformation: At tenth level, the elder lich's skeletal form erodes away to the distinct form of a demilich (typically a jewel-beset skull). All class features before this point are incorporated into the template and do not stack. It assumes to level adjustment and acquires its soul gems without expending XP or gp.

Bonus Feats*:
Automatic Quicken Spell, Automatic Silent Spell, Automatic Still Spell, Epic Spell Focus, Epic Spell Penetration, Epic Spellcasting, Familiar Spell, Ignore Material Components, Improved Combat Casting, Improved Spell Capacity, Permanent Emanation, Multispell, Negative Energy Burst, Spectral Strike, Spell Stowaway, Spell Opportunity, Tenacious Magic, Undead Mastery, Zone of Animation.

*=Characters who have benefited from the Advanced Learning class ability may choose to substitute another instance of that class ability instead of taking a new feat. This applies to any similar ability, at the DM's discretion.

Xenoti
2007-09-29, 03:46 PM
[QUOTE=Maerok;3265524]Elder Lich

Elder Lich Travels: As part of advancing through the elder lich epic prestige class, the elder lich must make a trip to the Astral Plane for 1d12 months of study before it can take another level of this class.

[/Qoute]

Shouldn't that be marked somewhere on the chart? And is that for Every level? Or just certain benchmark levels?

Maerok
2007-09-29, 11:05 PM
It is listed as the Paladin multiclass rules and some classes' conduct of conduct rules are; typically they are listed first or last under class features but don't seem to be added into the tables IIRC.

Feralgeist
2007-09-30, 03:01 AM
what book is a demilich in?

Nebo_
2007-09-30, 03:32 AM
No love for the Dry Lich?

knightsaline
2007-09-30, 03:44 AM
Why the change to the Elder liches DR? Why include another thing that can get around their DR?

Feralgeist
2007-09-30, 05:05 AM
it makes them harder to hurt. if someone has an epic slashing weapon, it wont get through DR. if they have a regular bludgeoning weapon, it wont get through DR either

Mewtarthio
2007-09-30, 09:09 AM
what book is a demilich in?

Epic Level (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/demilich.htm)

Quite honestly, I think this class is too sudden. The lich's DR gradually gets to demilich levels, but nothing else seems to note the lich's gradual transformation. I think there should be several points at which the lich decreases in size (because his body is eroding away), for starters.

Maerok
2007-09-30, 03:23 PM
I've looked up the issue of epic dread necromancer advancements that end in demilichdom, and the most agreeable solution seemed to be a 10-class epic prestige class.

Mewtarthio brings up a good point about the size. But I had tried to make the prestige class be gradual, increasing the following demilich traits linearly:
-Turning resistance
-Energy resistance
-Improved touch attack damage
-Spell-like abilities
Most of these are equal to the class levels x some number (which changes dynamically as the elder lich levels). In addition to gradual size, perhaps I could add in that the lich must craft a soul gem every two levels and then a final one (for a total of size, IIRC) to complete the transformation, but with no XP cost, though gp might be moot at some point along the line. I did nod to the flavor text of the demilich, which isn't in the SRD but the book, where its trips to the Astral Plane and beyond for knowledge, and its long existence have worn down its body into almost nothing.

I could also grant all the abilities at the first level, so you don't have so large a jump when you gain new abilities at the later levels; they all start out relatively weak in comparison and develop at similar rates.

And maybe there should be a Dry Demilich, but I was only targeting the traditional lich. I believe the two variants would produce different demiliches.

Darkbane
2007-10-01, 03:55 PM
Clarification: is the touch damage 1d6 damage, +2 per class level (1d6+20 at level 10) or 1d6+2, per class level (10d6+20 at level 10)?

Maerok
2007-10-01, 06:43 PM
(1d6+2)/level -> 10d6+20 (as a demilich would do)