PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A psionics vs ghosts

dragoblack
2019-03-11, 06:01 AM
i know the undead trait says immune to mind spells(such as charm) but do they affect the mind or the spirit? tried looking it up because it never specifies if the brain or spiritual conscious is affected by mind spells and abilities

Crake
2019-03-11, 06:49 AM
i know the undead trait says immune to mind spells(such as charm) but do they affect the mind or the spirit? tried looking it up because it never specifies if the brain or spiritual conscious is affected by mind spells and abilities

It's immunity to Mind-Affecting spells and effects. Not all psionic powers are mind affecting, you can find out by checking just under the name of the spell, where it says the school (subschool) [Descriptors]. Mind-Affecting will be in square brackets as a descriptor if the power is as such, and undead are immune to mind-affecting effects.

Psyren
2019-03-11, 11:07 AM
^ Correct - psionic powers can do a lot of things besides affect a target's mind. You can zap them with fire or lightning, hit them with force blasts (this would be one of the more effective ways of dealing with a ghost), create magic weapons out of thin air to hit them with, trap them in ectoplasm or just bypass them entirely.

Segev
2019-03-11, 11:17 AM
I just was looking at the Vitalist from Dreamscarred Press, and it has abilities which let you force undead into your Collective (a psychic link with several creatures) and which then strip away the "mind-affecting" tag, which can get silly.

Also, this thread's title made me imagine a ghost with psion levels, and that's kind-of amusing to me.

Kris Moonhand
2019-03-11, 09:34 PM
You might also look into powers from the Athanatism discipline, which mostly focus on spirits and such.