PDA

View Full Version : Anyone play a Sorcerer/ Cleric? Or know if it works?

EndEver
2019-03-11, 10:47 AM
Just pondering how good a Cleric 1/ Sorc X would work since they are both full casters.

Hoping to get con saves from Sorc, Armour from Cleric + More cantrips/ Spells known.

I’ve hear of Tempest/Storm but I was almost wondering if Trikery/Divine soul would work.

Anyone know/ tried it out?

DevilMcam
2019-03-11, 11:17 AM
Cleric is ineed a wonderfull dip for Sorcerer.

All the proficiencies, plus 3 cantrip and at least 4 lvl1 spells (2 of them you can change every days)
The only downside is that those spells/cantrips will be WIS based

EndEver
2019-03-11, 11:22 AM

All the proficiencies, plus 3 cantrip and at least 4 lvl1 spells (2 of them you can change every days)

For some reason I thought clerics knew all their spells... can they only prepare 4 at level 1?

JNAProductions
2019-03-11, 11:24 AM
For some reason I thought clerics knew all their spells... can they only prepare 4 at level 1?

They can prepare a number of spells equal to their level plus their Wisdom modifier (so, if you have a +3 Wisdom modifier, four at level one) each time they long rest.

They can prepare any spells from their entire list, and change it day-to-day.

They also get Domain spells, which are always prepared without counting against your usual limit.

Trustypeaches
2019-03-11, 11:28 AM
It works, but you'd probably be better off just going with a Divine Soul Sorcerer.

EndEver
2019-03-11, 11:29 AM

They can prepare a number of spells equal to their level plus their Wisdom modifier (so, if you have a +3 Wisdom modifier, four at level one) each time they long rest.

They can prepare any spells from their entire list, and change it day-to-day.

They also get Domain spells, which are always prepared without counting against your usual limit.

Ohhh that makes more sense, thanks

Thorgrim
2019-03-11, 11:42 AM
This is actually an amazingly powerful combination, one of my favorites.

The trick is to dip 1 level of Order Cleric. You'll get heavy armor, which is nice if you have the strength to carry it or had the good sense to choose a Dwarf, but the REAL power of it is their level 1 ability, which allows your target to make an attack as a reaction when you cast a level 1 spell on them.

The free attack you can give your Fighter or Paladin or Ranger is nice, but the real joy of it is when you pair it with something like Polymorph. Round one, twin polymorph on your dps. Turn them into Giant Apes. As a reaction, one of them can hurl a rock for 7d6+6 damage at a +9 to hit from range.

Afterwards, every turn as a BONUS action, you can throw out a level one spell (healing word) that heals a small amount and effectively does 7d6+6 damage. That's a single-target fireball that only costs a bonus action. Oh, and you're casting cantrips every round on top of that for extra damage, handing out disadvantage, etc.

Running low on level 1 spell slots? Feel free to make more! You are, after all, a sorcerer.

EndEver
2019-03-11, 11:54 AM
This is actually an amazingly powerful combination, one of my favorites.

The trick is to dip 1 level of Order Cleric. You'll get heavy armor, which is nice if you have the strength to carry it or had the good sense to choose a Dwarf, but the REAL power of it is their level 1 ability, which allows your target to make an attack as a reaction when you cast a level 1 spell on them.

The free attack you can give your Fighter or Paladin or Ranger is nice, but the real joy of it is when you pair it with something like Polymorph. Round one, twin polymorph on your dps. Turn them into Giant Apes. As a reaction, one of them can hurl a rock for 7d6+6 damage at a +9 to hit from range.

Afterwards, every turn as a BONUS action, you can throw out a level one spell (healing word) that heals a small amount and effectively does 7d6+6 damage. That's a single-target fireball that only costs a bonus action. Oh, and you're casting cantrips every round on top of that for extra damage, handing out disadvantage, etc.

Running low on level 1 spell slots? Feel free to make more! You are, after all, a sorcerer.

Wow that’s awesome. Not sure how my team would take me polymorphing them that much but I bet they’d like that extra attack.

Thorgrim
2019-03-11, 12:36 PM
Wow that’s awesome. Not sure how my team would take me polymorphing them that much but I bet they’d like that extra attack.

Hey, if they don't like Polymorph, you could also twin Haste!

EndEver
2019-03-11, 12:41 PM
Hey, if they don't like Polymorph, you could also twin Haste!

Forgot about haste. Selfishly I wish Haste was really good on sorcerer too but I know I should prioritize frontliners with haste

follacchioso
2019-03-11, 03:55 PM
If you lose the concentration on a twinned haste, your two companions both lose an action.

EndEver
2019-03-11, 05:43 PM
What about a cantrip savy Gish with Empowered spirit Guardians + Twinned Booming Blade or quicken fireball?

1 Cleric/Sorc X and then because I’ll get higher level slots then spells known, I can just upcast there or burn them for SP

Nhorianscum
2019-03-11, 06:18 PM
Forgot about haste. Selfishly I wish Haste was really good on sorcerer too but I know I should prioritize frontliners with haste

GWM works on scagtrips, so draconic can abuse twinned haste to hell and back with a martial domain and a str booster for damage, and the extra taste action is great for non damaging things on any sorc.

It's something like 96/round on draconic with gfbx2+swing before weapon boosts with a greatsword. Not the best use but if you wanna buddy cop with the local paladin go for it.

Local paladin was mentioned because without aura you need warcaster to make this safe and that makes this come online at like.... level17-18?

Slipping GWM it comes on at 13-14 for 66 damage/round

Dropping draconic just cast animate objects or haste the rouge.

EndEver
2019-03-11, 06:38 PM
GWM works on scagtrips, so draconic can abuse twinned haste to hell and back with a martial domain and a str booster for damage, and the extra taste action is great for non damaging things on any sorc.

It's something like 96/round on draconic with gfbx2+swing before weapon boosts with a greatsword. Not the best use but if you wanna buddy cop with the local paladin go for it.

Local paladin was mentioned because without aura you need warcaster to make this safe and that makes this come online at like.... level17-18?

Slipping GWM it comes on at 13-14 for 66 damage/round

Dropping draconic just cast animate objects or haste the rouge.

What’s all the craz with animate objects about?

Nhorianscum
2019-03-11, 07:18 PM
What’s all the craz with animate objects about?

45 dpr as a bonus action is pretty good.

EndEver
2019-03-11, 07:25 PM

Ohh didn’t realize it did that much damage

holywhippet
2019-03-12, 03:49 AM

It is actually better than that. You can use your bonus action to give a general order to all the objects like "Beat all of my enemies to death". They will continue to do so until their task is finished.

EndEver
2019-03-12, 11:01 AM
It is actually better than that. You can use your bonus action to give a general order to all the objects like "Beat all of my enemies to death". They will continue to do so until their task is finished.

So you essentially murder people with animated household items? I’ll put that on my spells to get list haha

Nhorianscum
2019-03-12, 11:13 AM

I don't think this is the RAW of the spell?

From the GM chair, even as the RAI I'd probably disallow this as 45 is our minimum before upcast/damage stacking silliness.

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-12, 12:12 PM
I find it boils down to this:

Sorcerer Metamagic does well with highly efficient spells, like Concentration spells. However, they lack armor and are squishy, meaning Concentration is easy to remove just by hitting them a bunch.

Clerics have lots of powerful Concentration spells on their list, and have armor and are relatively hard to kill. They do have difficulty adapting or dealing damage.

They counter each other's weaknesses, effectively making you into a tanky Concentration buff monster.

The synergy is strong enough that when I made my Prestige Options Homebrew (which allows players to use different primary/secondary stats for certain sub/classes), I had to add an explicit restriction saying that Clerics and Sorcerers cannot mix because of how good it was.

That is, a Charisma Cleric can't mix with a Sorcerer, and a Wisdom Sorcerer can't mix with a Cleric.

EndEver
2019-03-12, 12:48 PM
I find it boils down to this:

Sorcerer Metamagic does well with highly efficient spells, like Concentration spells. However, they lack armor and are squishy, meaning Concentration is easy to remove just by hitting them a bunch.

Clerics have lots of powerful Concentration spells on their list, and have armor and are relatively hard to kill. They do have difficulty adapting or dealing damage.

They counter each other's weaknesses, effectively making you into a tanky Concentration buff monster.

The synergy is strong enough that when I made my Prestige Options Homebrew (which allows players to use different primary/secondary stats for certain sub/classes), I had to add an explicit restriction saying that Clerics and Sorcerers cannot mix because of how good it was.

That is, a Charisma Cleric can't mix with a Sorcerer, and a Wisdom Sorcerer can't mix with a Cleric.

Wow, do you think it’s better than Sorcadin/ Sorlock too?

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-12, 01:07 PM
Wow, do you think it’s better than Sorcadin/ Sorlock too?

Potentially.

The Sorcadin specializes in burst damage dealing.

The Sorlock specializes in sustainability and ranged damage.

The Sorlec(?) specializes in battlefield support, whether that means summoning creatures, buffing allies, or just nerfing the boss so hard the fight becomes easy.

Putting the Sorlec in a team of squishies won't mean much, because you'll have to be on the front lines and you'll regularly lose out on your Concentration spells. But if you can afford to be in the back, where low accuracy ranged attacks are less likely to hit through your higher AC and Shield, you'll be able to cause a lot of mayhem.

-----------

Or, put another way, the reason the Divine Soul Sorcerer was justified was because it had a 1d6 Hit Die and no armor proficiencies on a class that can't readily afford a spell option for Mage Armor, and then loses a lot of class features just to compensate for their constant need to heal themselves or to maintain their Concentration Saving Throws.

Now take all of that, and remove everything bad. You're left with a Divine Soul Sorcerer that's strictly better.

EndEver
2019-03-12, 01:18 PM
Potentially.

The Sorcadin specializes in burst damage dealing.

The Sorlock specializes in sustainability and ranged damage.

The Sorlec(?) specializes in battlefield support, whether that means summoning creatures, buffing allies, or just nerfing the boss so hard the fight becomes easy.

Putting the Sorlec in a team of squishies won't mean much, because you'll have to be on the front lines and you'll regularly lose out on your Concentration spells. But if you can afford to be in the back, where low accuracy ranged attacks are less likely to hit through your higher AC and Shield, you'll be able to cause a lot of mayhem.

-----------

Or, put another way, the reason the Divine Soul Sorcerer was justified was because it had a 1d6 Hit Die and no armor proficiencies on a class that can't readily afford a spell option for Mage Armor, and then loses a lot of class features just to compensate for their constant need to heal themselves or to maintain their Concentration Saving Throws.

Now take all of that, and remove everything bad. You're left with a Divine Soul Sorcerer that's strictly better.

Gotcha, that makes sense. We got a Vengance Paladin so far and a Barbarian Moon Druid plus one more so its safe to say there will be front-line tanks

R.Shackleford
2019-03-13, 01:53 AM
Just pondering how good a Cleric 1/ Sorc X would work since they are both full casters.

Hoping to get con saves from Sorc, Armour from Cleric + More cantrips/ Spells known.

I’ve hear of Tempest/Storm but I was almost wondering if Trikery/Divine soul would work.

Anyone know/ tried it out?

From another thread I posted.

Ok, my favorite Assasin Caster actually doesn't have a lick of stealth.

Weird, right?

V Human Charlatan or Criminal Cleric 3 (Trickery) / Sorcerer X (any)

Disguise kit is needed. Deception training will be needed unpess you grab prodigy.

Level 1 feat: for overkill go with the prodigy feat that gives you double prof in a skill of your choice (deception) but otherwise grab Actor. If you grabed the other feat, grab the Actor feat as soon as possible (level 4). Advantage + double prof = win.

So, the deal is to give an ally advantage on stealth rolls and let them do the sneaking while you pretend to be someone you're not. You win. You keep people distracted. You then use subtle spell to command a creature to flee, drop, or generally be weird. This shows your ally who the target is.

You can do other things, you got a good spell list after all.

Basically, keep the attention on you and then your friend (rogue) will be your sneaky weapon..

JackPhoenix
2019-03-13, 03:43 AM
You then use subtle spell to command a creature to flee, drop, or generally be weird. This shows your ally who the target is.

It also reveals you, because while subtle spell allow you to hide V component of casting Command, you still need to... you know... actually command the creature.

R.Shackleford
2019-03-13, 08:35 AM
It also reveals you, because while subtle spell allow you to hide V component of casting Command, you still need to... you know... actually command the creature.

I don't know ifnyou need to say anything, the magic could just manipulate them silently... Since it's subtle.

But yeah... You can disguise that anyways.

Flee! There's a spider near you!

Stop! Hammer time!

Approach! Free candy!

This Cleric/Sorcerer is about sneak attacking with a spell, not the rogue type, just ambushing so it's fine if they figure it out.

Your goal is complete once you start battle with a spell.