PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Common Houserules Megathread

Bjarkmundur
2019-03-11, 12:20 PM
With every system there are things that almost everyone Houserules. Every DM makes small tweaks to make the game more fluent and fun to play. Everything from 'unlimited ammunition' to changing the crafting system, a Houserule is a small change made to the rules to increase player enjoyment.

I see a lot of Houserules, but I rarely see WHY the houserule is needed. Threads like this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?555697-Houserules-and-homebrew&highlight=Houserule) are common and easy to find, but I never know if I should use the Houserules listed, since I don't fully understand the problem that they solve.

Not all house rules are needed in every game and for every group. For example, fixing the common two weapon fighting or dragonborn breath attack isn't necessary if you don't have either one in your group.

I also apply Houserules on a group-by-group basis. Something might be a problem for one group but might work fine with for another.

My question is, what are the most common problems fixed with Houserules, why is it a problem and how does the problem present itself.

Please refrain from commenting on someone else's housrule. Each DM solves the problems he encounters in a way that best works for his unique situation, so the same problem can have multiple different solutions.

1. Variant Human should be fun, not powerful
Problem: Sometimes getting a feat is so strong that a player might pick a human just for this feature, and some feats are simply ridiculous at 1st level. Both is a problem, since it either makes a player pick a race it doesn't necessarily want to play, or make one PC stand above the rest of the party in power level.

Fix: Since feats are meant to be available to players at 4th level, same applies to the variant human. The bonus feat is granted at 4th level instead of 1st.

Note: I don't apply this Houserule to every group, since various groups have various levels of optimization and group dynamics.

2. Using a Potion Should be a Viable Option in Combat

Problem: I love giving my group Consumables, but using an action to consume a potion means that my players don't really like using them in combat.

Fix: To make potions more fun, I allow a player to use a bonus action with a free hand to chug a potion on his turn.

3. Races shouldn't just be ability score bonuses
Problem: Too many times I see players pick a race and it has no affect on the personality or background of his character. Whether a character is a Tiefling or an Elf should not be decided by "the stats line up", but because of unique features and interesting lore a race adds to a character.

Fix: Each race can put its ability score bonuses wherever the player wants. This means that races are less of an optimisation tool and more of a roleplaying tool.

Zhorn
2019-03-11, 03:24 PM
common one i see;
The death yoyo
Problem: A group with access to any form of healing takes away a large risk of death. Knocked unconscious > healed > knocked unconscious > healed > knocked unconscious > healed.

Fix: Dropping to 0 hp applies 1 level of exhaustion (or temporary exhaustion, with all stacks of temporary exhaustion cleared on a long or short rest if regular exhaustion levels are too harsh). So even in groups with abundant healing effects, death becomes a more tangible risk as players can be worn-down.

Potato_Priest
2019-03-11, 04:01 PM
Polearm Master works with the Spear

Problem:Reasons for this one differ, but people generally seem uncontent to let quarterstaves be better than sharp quarterstaves.

Fix:All portions of the Polearm Master feat also work with the spear.

Kane0
2019-03-11, 04:30 PM
Lucky for you, the great and wise Treantmonk just released a video on this very topic (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKHhZYUrvqY).

In terms of your own changes to the game, always start small and with things that are actual problems at your table, not just perceived problems. If nobody wants to play a certain race/class/subclass or use certain weapons/feats/spells it may be because nobody is interested or because they see (or find out on the internet) that option as inferior and always steer away from it. The people at your table are more important for you and your game than what the internet or even the devs think, so never discount their input.

Edit: Also I appreciate the shoutout.